Major concern/issue with 2014 ford explorer sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major concern/issue with 2014 ford explorer sport

My Build date was Jan. 9, 2014. When I spoke to the mechanic at the dealership, he said it was a hit and miss issue with something regarding the bearings on the fan?? Not sure exactly what needs to be redesigned.

Does anyone on this Forum who works at Ford know what the redesign of the fan is all about?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is also a know issue, or maybe just a safety feature, which when the computer senses that both the accelerator and break has been touched at the same time when applying power, it will not let you actually accelerate for about 3 seconds (which is A LOT) when you want to get going FAST on a busy NYC intersection! By the way, it happened to me many times with a Range Rover

Many of the Sport guys are able to break boost off the line without this issue... So I'm not sure if that is still in our programming? What was the situation around this happening to you in the RR?

The dealership asked me if I drove with both feet (which I don't) and they said ya you don't because they didn't see a flag when checking everything I guess every time you hold down the brake and press the gas it gets flagged in the system and they can see that and I had nothing showing. plus I am driving when this happens not really stopped.

Well ladies and gentleman.......It's D-Day....this Wednesday 5/7/2014 will be 30 days that my 2014 Explorer with 3500 miles on it has been in the shop. And according to Ford there is no estimate....zero...nothing....nada on when the new fan design will be ready to ship out !!!! So I might not even see this thing for another month or 2!!! Also don't forget this isn't even looking at the main issue regarding the vehicle practically stalling on me.

Unfortunately I've spoken with the Ford Regional manager that I've been working with and I've been kind and patient but to be honest with you making a full months payment on a car that I don't even have kinds of gets under my skin.

Sooooo on that note when I spoke to the Regional Manager I told him I think I'm ready to file for a Lemon Law buy back. I really do enjoy my 2014 Explorer Sport, so I think I might give it another go....I just think there is a major issue with the one I have that they cannot resolve. So the Regional Manager said he would call me back tomorrow on how it will all work and it usually take 15 days average to get full response from Ford on what they will do.

To be honest I'm on the fence because my car is somewhat still new and I'm not sure if I can get as good as a deal if I get a new one (incentives wise).

I'll update all when I hear back.

Hey guys,
this is a very well know issue with all ECOBOOST vehicles that came out since 2012.
Even the Rnage Rover EVOQUE had the exact same problem, and it was fixed in all Ford F-150 Ecoboost and Range Rovers in 2013.

The problem was a sensor in the inter cooler, that sensed water condensation in the turbo and restricted the engine performance.
I am VERY VERY surprised that the 2014 is showing the same problem, as FORD knows it well and was supposed to have it fixed before 2014 was actually out.

I am interested in knowing more about this, as FORD Explorer Sport will be my next car in 2015!
Cheers
LCL

I hate to break it to you, but I had a 2011 f-150 ecoboost, and the whole plate design thing is not what caused the stumble issue is many cases.

The spark plugs on a lot of those trucks had gaps that were ALL over the place. When I pulled the plugs in mine they were anywhere from .028 all the way up to .044.

I put precision gapped .032 plugs in a viola!, no more stumbling issues.

Also to note the stumble issue would become VERY noticeable after using cruise control for 60 + mins.

If they want to fix your " fall flat on its face and gets scary" symptom, I'd put money on a set of plugs clearing it up.

Zombie killer what were your exact issues and how frequent did it occur??

Also-

I spoke with Ford corporate regional mgr. I told him my trip was coming up on May 24 and asked if there was anyway they could give me my car back with a VDR to record incident since they can't have it occur. He said yes but my other problem with the engine cooling fan is concerning. He says he hasn't had a complaint a issue about the fan making squeaking noise when it spins downs after the car is turned off. So he said if they don't get fan replaced the fan can break/stop working during my trip and then my car will over heat!!!! So I asked him what is taking so long to replace the fan??? He said the original has a flaw and is being redisgned. He has nothing from engineering on when the redesign of fan will be complete and when it will go into production.

Sooooooo not only has it now been there for 33 days straight, there is nooooooo time quote he can give me when fan will be completed. So I can't get my car back at this time and more than likely won't before trip!!!

Can any FORD EMPLOYEES tell me what's up with the engine cooling fan redesign???

As for a rental Jeff from Corporate says he only has a certain amount of money then that's it no more rental! He said if I get a explorer rental on my own, then put it on my credit card and he will see about reimbursing me, but depending on how much he may be only able to cover up to a certain amount!!

Does this make sense to everyone? Or what are my option besides lemon law?? What should they pay for if anything if I keep the explorer?? Should they pay me my month of payments??

Thanks!!

Mike

You guys won't believe it!!! I got my 2014 Explorer Sport back on Monday 5/12!!!! Here's what I was told. First they were unable to repeat the problem of the car losing power so they couldn't fix it. I brought up everything people have mentioned here to the shop manager and everything was turned down as no that's not it, no that's not the problem, or that only happened on this or that model , so that was useless. So then when I pick it up he says we replaced the fan with the original fan model that it came with not the new redesigned model because those aren't available yet. Thought the bearing grind did stop, he said I can go back when the new fan design is in and get it replaced. Also he said that if Ford Corporate would have let him use the original fan part # then I could have had my vehicle back in 3 or 4 days NOT 34 days!!! Go figure that one out!!

So Ford Corporate wanted me to get a VDR (Vehicle data Recorder) from the dealership. Well they have none and their regional tech doesn't have any extras. I have since contacted Jeff at Corporate and left 3 voicemails with no call backs since Monday and it is now Thursay letting him know I need him to get me a VDR ESPECIALLY since we are going on the cross country road trip and travel over 6000 miles round trip!!! Once he calls, I will tell him to get me a VDR or if I have another problem no matter how minor or major, I will turn the car in as a LEMON and decide what to do from there.

We're really happy to have our car back and I thought I'd never be so happy to see her :) I'm really hoping I have no issues and really hoping that corporate can give me a VDR.

Stay tuned for a followup possibly after June 12 when I return from our trip!! Thanks to all who assisted us during this time !!!

very strange as my 2014 sport does the same thing when i shut if off. a squeal from something winding down. i thought it was a fan belt and thought not much of it but now it does concern me.

oh and i've only had once instance of a stall and that was just starting off from a parking spot but it definately almost shut off or so it seemed it was going to. 3500 miles on it.

yakfshr1 - Ya the fan sound your hearing is from a bearing problem. That is part of the redesign from what I'm being told.

I noticed your also in California. Let's stay in touch man and see where this all goes. I've been through A LOT already since my car was in the shop for 34 and speaking with Ford Corporate etc... I can help you out if needed.

Let me know....

Yakfshr1 -

What's crazy is you have the same amount of mileage I do on my 2014. Interesting...very interesting...Just curious at approx. how many miles did you have when the stall occurred?

Thanks!

very strange as my 2014 sport does the same thing when i shut if off. a squeal from something winding down. i thought it was a fan belt and thought not much of it but now it does concern me.
It is probably the fan as there is no fan belt. It's all electrical. Do you still have your 4Runner? If not, it's time to update your profile with the model of Explorer you have. ;)

Peter

My wife's '14 Sport has these stumbling issues as well. It seems to do it more frequently when it's humid, but doesn't have to be. Usually occurs between 50-65mph, while cruising steady. When you hit a small grade or apply a little throttle, it will stumble or mis. Has done this since new, and currently has approximately 4k miles. Finally took it to the dealership last week. Of course, they couldn't replicate it. Why would I have ever thought they could? I finally went in and drove it while the tech rode with me. He had his laptop plugged in. I was able to get the stumble 2 different times, and it wasn't even warm or humid.

After looking back over the data logged, he said it was misfires occurring over different cylinders. Wasn't the same one every time. I'm planning on checking the plug gaps before I take it back and let the monkeys fool around with it.

My wife's '14 Sport has these stumbling issues as well...

I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, KYmxracer52. All I'll need to make that happen is a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get this moved up the chain.

Crystal

I may have found out what was causing my stumbling and misfire issues. Pulled the plugs yesterday and found this on the rear right 2 plugs.

9EC2E8CE-99C5-41ED-B96D-D17FF44FEDA0.jpg

289727A3-6356-47CD-9634-981376644E8C.jpg

Both of these coils came out saturated in oil. The spark plug was submerged in oil all the way to the top. I would go out on a limb to say that this isn't normal. Lol:eek: Guess we'll see what Ford thinks about this.

wow wtf... that is not normal.. My ex has 600 miles on it and have not experienced any of these issues.. yet?! D:

Let us know what they say, I would have to assume these issues are few and far between, if everyone's plugs were submerged completely there would be more issues.. KEEP US POSTED!

wow wtf... that is not normal.. My ex has 600 miles on it and have not experienced any of these issues.. yet?! D:

Let us know what they say, I would have to assume these issues are few and far between, if everyone's plugs were submerged completely there would be more issues.. KEEP US POSTED!

Will do. I'm going to have them pick it up at my house on a roll-back and haul to the dealership. Not sure if this issue has been present since new, but I've had the stumbling since new. Funny thing is, it's not threw any lights or codes. Vehicle only has about 4200 miles currently. Can't wait till Tuesday. I wan to see the tech's face. :D

Here's what the other 4 plugs looked like, except for the 2 in the oil bath.
0593CB01-3FC0-4093-8A09-501BF0408DB6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Submerged in oil would definitely cause a misfire. 6 million dollar question is where did the oil come from. Valve cover gasket would be the only possibility I could think of unless the oil change tech had really poor aim lol....

Back