M5R1 Reverse Light switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M5R1 Reverse Light switch

310rm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger XLT 4.0L
Hi,

I need to replace the reverse light switch on my 91 Ranger V6 4.0L 5 speed. The problem is I think the trans may have been switched out before I bought it. The new part that is listed as compatible with my truck has finer threads on the switch (pic on the right with red plastic).

Here is a shot of the switches and the sticker from the transmission -

f4jo0j.jpg

2qs4dtz.jpg

The trans is apparently a M5R1

I've done a bunch of research and think I might have found one but it's Sunday today and I want to speak to a human before i order it -

https://www.allstategear.com/M5R1-Back-Up-Light-Switch-p/m5r1-70.htm

Also, I've found M5R1-72. Are the last 2 digits in the A112370 an indication that it's an M5R1-70?

Does anyone know definitively where I can get a replacement switch?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like the one you're looking for is the neutral sensing switch. the backup light switch is on drivers side neutral sensing on right side straight across.
roscoe

looks like the one you're looking for is the neutral sensing switch. the backup light switch is on drivers side neutral sensing on right side straight across.
roscoe

I didn't think manual transmissions have a neutral safety switch. The switch I'm looking for mounts on the passenger side of the tranny, true. From what I've been able to find out, the switch is open and when you put her in reverse the ball gets pushed in and that actuates the reverse lights. I initially thought it was a neutral sensing switch too, but I ordered one and it looks nothing like the switch above. Also, the guy at the parts store ordered the neutral switch before he realized it's a manual tranny. The neutral switch is much longer and looks totally different, btw.

roscoe

Roscoe, you were right. It IS the neutral switch. smdh

Thank you!

no problem i'm glad I could help the m5r1 that belongs to me is still on the floor that's how I knew.
roscoe

Hi there, I need to replace my backup light switch on my 2001 Ford explorer Sport but I couldn't identify the location, does anyone know where is it located?

if they didn't change from 99 it is on drivers side sideways from the shifter.
roscoe

Back