M5R1 shifter stub length

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Comparing a M5R1 from a 2.9 Ranger and a 4.0 Explorer shows different "shifter stub lengths" (4-5/8" compared to 5"). I was under the impression these two transmissions were interchangeable. I know for sure the gearset is interchangeable and gives a steeper 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. I know also that the bellhousing pattern is the same.

What is the "shifter stub length"? Would the 2.9 Ranger transmission bolt-in to my 4.0 Explorer? Would I need to swap any parts to make the shifter work?

Here are the listings on Rockauto that I am referring to:

1998 Explorer w/ 4.0
ZUMBROTA RMTM5R1F8TN {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Remanufactured Info
4WD; AWD; Manual trans.; All Aluminum, Shift Lever Bolts Into The Top Cover, 5 Inch Long Shifter Stub, One Switch Top Cover, No Speedo Gear Or Vehicle Speed Sensor, With Transfer Case Shifter Mounting Boss; Tag: F07A-CA, F17A-RA, F17A-RB, F17A-RC, F27A-ZA, F57A-FA, F87A-FA; Toyo Kogyo (Mazda) trans.

1992 Ranger w/ 2.9
ZUMBROTA RMTM5R1F4SN {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Remanufactured Info
5 speed Standard Trans.; 4WD; Custom; STX Model; Sport; XLT Model; M5R1; All Aluminum, Shift Lever Bolts Into The Top Cover, No Bottom Cover, 4-5/8 Inch Long Shifter Stub, Two Switch Top Cover, No Speedo Gear Or Vehicle Speed Sensor, With Transfer Case Shifter Mounting Boss On Tail Housing, Tag: 93GTR-AA, 93GTR-AB, E97A-PA, F57A-FA, F70F-NA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt it would make any big difference. If it is an issue, pull the shifter stub out of the Explorer one and drop it into the 2.9, that easy. Probably going to need to remove it anyway to do the rebuild kit unless you are buying the whole transmission new.

2.9 M5OD will bolt straight in. I am planning to do the same thing with my 93 M5OD; deeper gears come in nice with bigger tires.

Rockauto has the 2.9 transmission (which has better gearing, IMO) listed "in stock" which is a huge advantage.

So the top covers are the same? Just use my existing shifter stub?

So the top covers are the same? Just use my existing shifter stub?
Maybe I’m not understanding, but looks like it comes with the stub, why use your existing? Does it not come with a stick shift and you would need to use the existing stick?

It may include the stub but it doesn't include the stick shifter - will my stick shifter install on this stub?

You probably know that the stick is held on simply by a wedge pinch bolt that fits a notch in the stub shaft. So odds are it would fit.
But interestingly, pics on both trans pics in the links show the trans with no stub shaft, yet the shaft is mentioned, with the length, in the description.
I saw a number to the rebuilder listed, maybe call and ask?

I did contact the rebuilder and they said in vague terms that I wouldn't be able to install my shifter if the stub is the wrong length. Hence why I am asking you guys! :burnout:

Based on these kits, it looks like I would need the stub from the 2.9 transmission but it looks like it would otherwise fit. What do you think?

Top: M5R1 Shifter Stub Kit, M5R1-105AK, 5 Inches long 1995-1997
Bottom: M5R1 Shifter Stub Kit, M5R1-105K4-5/8 Inches Long 1988-1994
(Images courtesy of Allstate gear)

M5R1-105AK-2.jpg

upload_2020-1-25_9-40-28.png

Back