• Register Today It's free!

MAC exhaust

privetryan89

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
OK, so I'm looking for a new exhaust system for my 98' XLT. The pipes are starting to have holes in them. Fixed the tail pipe in the middle of winter cause there was a 3 inch hole through it and when I cut a chunk off to repair the hole it shook the rust off and it looked like someone shot my tail pipe with a shot gun. So I bought some pipes and fixed it but when it becomes summer I want to get a new system so I don't have to worry about the rest of it.

I looked at Flowmaster and some other top brands and found them to be way out of my price range. Then I read about MAC performance parts. What is everyones view on there products? They look decent and are right in my price range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah flowmasters are ridiculous, ive never heard of MAC though, I also plan to do my exhaust this summer, starting with the cat-back, then hopefully the headers, im totally missing my muffler, 2 cats still there, but LOADED with rust, and holes, i just cant find the goddamn holes to temporarily fix them, my trucks pretty nice, the exhaust scares people though lmao, now the mount broke off of it, and sometimes it rattles now :'(

Ive got mac on my 5.0 mustang, and it sounds sweet. I also have no cats on it, so that helps! I did the cat-back before I took the convertors off, so I can say that it even sounded good then too. I have the same exhaust situation on my explorer that you do, and Im going for the mac system myself.

I had a MAC exhaust on my old 5.0 Mountaineer. I loved the way it sounded, as it had a very aggressive tone with nearly unbearable drone on the highway. Really deep and loud. Mine was aluminized steel and was painted black to resist rust. Great kit, but keep in mind that the 3" pipe doesn't leave a whole lot of clearance for the leaf spring, so on large bumps the suspension might contact the pipe.

I had installed the MAC on my 4.0. Like other have said it sounds great, very deep rumble, BUT the noise inside the cab was terrible. After about 2 months I replaced with the stock one. ** I was stationed in Germany at the time so the stock was easeir to get**.

Have the MAC system on my 97 mountie it is a bit loud inside on the highway but it sounds great inside and realy great outside. Had same system on my 04 sport trac sounded good but the tailpipe rusted off. Wife doesnt wash it as often as I do.

thanks for the help. I think thats the system I'm going to go with. Is it a direct bold in like it says it is?

private is ur 98 xlt a V6 or V8

I have the MAC catback system, i'm pretty pleased with how it sounds, considering the sound of exhaust is one of things i am the pickiest about. My exhaust wasn't as straightforward an install as i'd hoped, and getting the old one off was a huge pain too. But on the other hand, i was not very knowledgeable about basic mechanics back then and i had a very limited tool supply, so maybe it would be easier for me to do now. I've had it for probably close to 4 years, i no longer have the tailpipe section on, i have just a turn down tip right behind the muffler. It still sounds pretty good, i never really noticed a performance gain or mileage improvement, but that's probably because the stock exhaust manifolds are more restrictive than the stock exhaust. One easy thing to be sure to do is drill a hole in the end of the hangers that come on the exhaust, then once the exhaust is all installed, slip a washer over the hanger and put a pin through the hole. Unlike the stock exhaust, there's nothing to prevent the hangers from slipping out of the rubber pieces, but the washer and pin is an easy solution. Also, use locktight or maybe locking washers where the tailpipe section connects to the muffler section, my original hardware rattled off over the first couple months, and combined with the hangers slipping out of the rubber, i nearly lost the tailpipe on the freeway.

Hope that helps.

I have it on my 98. Love the sound but not to keen on the tip.

I have a 4.0L SOHC

Well saying that in your post would definitely help your chances of getting some helpful information. :rolleyes: Regardless, i assume any exhaust system from them would have the same problems i had with mine.

hopefully it will be easier then it was for you. From my research it's pretty much a direct replacement now. But I'm going to need it sooner then i had hoped. Looked at my exhaust the other day and there are huge holes through it now and it is almost completely broken off at one spot. Used a couple exhaust clamps to hold it together till I can buy the system.

I too have it on my '98 XLT SOHC, sounds great. Didn't like the exhaust tip so I ended up cutting it off and it looks even better.

dont know what I'm going to do now. The prices just jumped $60+ more and $40+ for shipping. Thats making it cost way over $300. I dont have that kind of money nor do I want to spend that much.

I carry the MAC exhaust, what year? I may be able to meet or beat any quotes you have.-j

Email me please.

you beat it. If you don't change the price I'm going to probably buy it from you. Thanks a lot.

Not to step on toes, but I love my Magnaflow, I found it online for $60 for the full stainless steel, I got a small one though and purchased a separate Y-pipe, The way the SOHC exhaust is set up you could probably get the 5x11 dual in single out (they're reversible) and not have to deal with the Y-pipe and get a little bit quieter sound.

Back