• Register Today It's free!

MAC intake, breather line?? help

1astrnt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 EB V8
i recently bought a MAC intake tube and filter for my truck, besides it being a horrible fit the other problem i am having is that my gas milage has gone to hell. i have dropped a least 5 miles/gal just since i put it on.(thats keeping my foot out of it completely) the tube came with one hole already drilled for a sensor (i believe its a intake air temp sensor) which i was able to put in. there wasn't a hole for the breather tube that comes from the oil fill tube. could this be the problem?? im not exactly sure what that tube is for, whether its to pull a vacum for the crackcase or recirculate warm air back to the intake to make it lean out a little...any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh yeah!

the truck is a 96 eddie bower with the 302.

common guys...

anyone know anything about what that tubes function is?? to pull vacuum or recirc air as a part of emissions to lean the mix? anything!

Ive got a 1996 XLT 5.0 302 and I recently purchased the MAC Cold Air kit and the black plate that the MAF Sensor bolts onto has rubber connectors at the bottom of it and they do not fit at all which will force me to drill a new hole or widen the stock holes. Also, because of this lack of fitting it sat too high under my hood and I wasnt quite aware of the consequences but when I closed my hood it tore the top rubber part of the air filter. I contacted MAC about this and they are going to send me a replacement filter for free and they recommended drilling a new hole. I may also bend the metal plate just enough to make it shorter also because it seems to dang tall. Anyhow I also noticed a dramatic decrease in mpg and also a gas smell behind my vehicle while parked but I think all of that is related to my tear in the air filter. When I finally get the new filter and all I will update on how the gas mileage is and if it still goes down Im getting a refund and goin with the K&N FIPK or the KKM True Rev.

I just wanted to add that before the filter tore I noticed a huge increase in response and accelleration. It was nothing extraordinary but it is way worth it and now that I am on my stock air box until I get the new filter it seems slow! The increase in hp at the flywheel for this intake is around 16 - 18 horsepower which is comparable to the FIPK I would suppose. When and if all is good and well this is a highly recommended intake kit. Aside from the fitting problems the tubing will probably have trouble keeping heat out because of its material construction.

exact same here!

i had the same fitting probs you described...what i did was remove the rubber gromets that the plate is supposed to fit in and that makes the holes big enough to slide the plate "nipples" into. it also lets you get just a little more clearance from the hood. another thing i noticed was that if the pipe was shortened just about 2 cm then it would line up straight. mine is a little ****eyed toward the front of the compartment. as for the function of the intake itself i love what it has done. a real big differance from stock. what did you do with that breather line? i left mine kinda hangin there. for some reason i think it has to do with the mileage loss. i am just wonderin if thats justified and noone seems to know what exactly it does. my belief is that it is part of the air recirculating and introduces warm crankcase air into the intake in order to make the engine lean its mixture. (makes sense if its only getting "cold" air, then it would never lean the mix. making it rich all the time and leading to the worse gas mileage) anyone want to back me up or tell me different please do! i would just like to know if i can solve this by having a hole tapped into the bottom side of the crome intake and solve this.

i have the same question.......anyone???

the mac for my 2000 fit perfectly. no problems watsoever. i did notice a couple mpg decrease because i step on it more. dont have any other info .. sorry

I think that lil hose is the fuel/air preheater?

MAC Intake breather line

I installed a MAC intake about 3 months ago. I have the breather line hanging and would like to know if anyone found a resolution to this problem. Sounds great, looks awesome, better highway miles.

MAC Intake breather line

I contacted MAC about this breather line problem. Turns out, they didn't realize the breather line existed and didn't drill the hole. They are sending me the appropriate rubber gromet and I am drilling the hole myself. They offered to pay for shipping the intake back for them to drill, but it just isn't worth the hassle. The guy did suggest anyone drilling through the chrome surface should tap a dent for the bit before drilling to save the finish.

mine came with the hole

Back