Mad Max - Galaxie Tow Rig | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mad Max - Galaxie Tow Rig

Does the coil require a ballast resistor?

A lot of older ones did.

Points condenser good? That prevents the points from burning.

Ground strap connected from the block to the chassis and the chassis to the negative battery post?

Points gapped correctly on high lobe of distributor cam?

Secure the secondary lead somewhere where you can see it. Supply the coil with 12V from the battery on the positive side and use a jumper wire to jump the negative side back to ground and watch for spark. If you have spark it on to the points.

As for your transmission yoke if the splines start in the same place on both and the OD and ID are the same on both parts you should be able to take it to a local machine shop and have them "Part Off" the excess tail and re-chamfer the leading edge.

It would be best to check OD and ID with a set of vernier calipers and not a tape measure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the coil require a ballast resistor?

A lot of older ones did.

Points condenser good? That prevents the points from burning.

Ground strap connected from the block to the chassis and the chassis to the negative battery post?

Points gapped correctly on high lobe of distributor cam?

Secure the secondary lead somewhere where you can see it. Supply the coil with 12V from the battery on the positive side and use a jumper wire to jump the negative side back to ground and watch for spark. If you have spark it on to the points.

As for your transmission yoke if the splines start in the same place on both and the OD and ID are the same on both parts you should be able to take it to a local machine shop and have them "Part Off" the excess tail and re-chamfer the leading edge.

It would be best to check OD and ID with a set of vernier calipers and not a tape measure.

Hey Shucker, thanks for the response! As it turns out, the new distributor had a busted spring on the points! It had absolutely no tension and would just float as soon as the rotor started spinning! Replaced the points, and guess what we got???? :D :D :D

Running_zpsczwxaxqz.png

Fire in the hole! Looking better and better for making Moab :D

COOL!!!!

You need to post a sound clip!

I grew up on old big blocks.

390 \ 429 \ 460.

Running_zpsczwxaxqz.png

Ahh yes, nothing like exhaust you can see :D

Congrats!!

Absolutely 54 going on 18 :)

Interesting.

07\62 here.

Quote from George Carlin

"When I was 16 my dad was one of the dumbest people I had ever met. By the time I turned 21 I was amazed at what he had learned in 5 years".

Old Guys Rule!

Get a test drive in on this thing yet?

How is this thread related to Explorer-type vehicles?
Will you be using this car to pull a trailer, carrying an Explorer?

How is this thread related to Explorer-type vehicles?
Will you be using this car to pull a trailer, carrying an Explorer?

Early in the thread he stated this was his tow vehicle to bring his Explorer to Moab. He has the Explorer build in his sig line.

Running_zpsczwxaxqz.png

Ahh yes, nothing like exhaust you can see :D

Congrats!!

I am originally from LA. I don't breath nuthin' I can't see!!:smoke:

Well, here is how the Galaxie sits tonight

011_zpsgu9spyqh.jpg

Unfortunately after we got her timed and she started warming up it became very evident that a cloud of smoke was developing behind the car. One tailpipe (Driverside) would start blowing smoke after 1 or 2 minutes of running and then the Motor would begin missing. It was a good day or two of test and theories.... Compression test - Good Compression.... Timing - Good Timing.... Firing order - Good Firing order.... Oil Pressure - Good Oil Pressure.... Temp - Good Temp... AntiFreeze in oil - No AntiFreeze in Oil... etc. Finally we agreed the mix of stuff coming out the tailpipe included AntiFreeze, so we finally started doing some research on the intake manifold gasket. What we found was that despite Fel-Pro being a good brand, it is common to have Fel-Pro Gaskets fail around the waterjacket/intake ports. Well pulled her off and there is some promising evidence that this may be Max's problem:

007_zps4etai4sd.jpg

015_zpsgiocsugs.jpg

So, I've got 2 days, maybe 4 if I put off Moab till Sunday the 15th. We'll see how she goes, I'm not giving up on her, but boy am I getting dealt a tough hand of cards tonight! Thanks for all the support guys, hoping it all works out!

Get that thing back on there and let's go!

Don't get discouraged!

Take your time, haste makes waste. Prep it properly, align it all correctly, properly torque. Don't rush it and you'll be fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a motor swap in an older bmw many years ago, got it in and running letting it get good and warmed up. About the time the temperature was at operating temp, my buddy noticed a big cloud of smoke behind it (it was dark out and didn't notice right away). Sat there letting it run while I scratched my head for a while trying to figure out how the good running motor, that we even drove in the other car before pulling it, went bad from putting it in this car! All the while its putting out a steady, heavy stream of thick smoke clouding the whole neighborhood, I finally figured it out. The old motor had dumped a bunch of water/antifreeze into the exhaust and it was just burning up as the exhaust got hot enough, sure enough it quit smoking after probably 20 minutes running. It scared the crap out of me at first though!

Back