MAF and Throttle body swap on 4.0 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF and Throttle body swap on 4.0 OHV

TheGaginator

Reaction score
City, State
midlothian, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 ford explorer xlt 4x4
Wanting to find out what LARGER MAF and Throttle bodies will work on my 92 4.0 explorer. I searched around and from what i found, the 5.0 throttle body will NOT fit correct? i have a custom 3'' intake, custom exhaust, and im just looking to up my mpgs and performance with little stuff here and there

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bbk 66mm is the only tb that will fit and as far as the maf goes,stock is fine and if you do change it out it should be calibrated to your ecm and or the ecm calibrated to the maf.neither will make drastic increases in mpg or power.i would suggest after all maintenance and up keep is taken care of,electric fan or a underdrive pulley. Both have been proven to release hp and increase mpg

ok cool thanks for the info. Isnt the underdrive pulley just a smaller harmonic balancer?

sweet. Where can i get that balancer? i see alot of electric fan threads on here so ill read them ALL!

sweet. Where can i get that balancer? i see alot of electric fan threads on here so ill read them ALL!

Under drives are very expensive,only place i see them anymore is at summit.we use the same one as a sohc mustang.for the fan i would look for a thunderbird supercharger fan,fits better than the Taurus. Same fan just smaller shroud and extra blade,more cfms

I run mine off a tyco 75amp relay from Amazon and a therma switch(painless wiring) from summit.that the cheapest most reliable way of doing it.read up on the fan and look at some pics as it WILL have to be trimmed to fit.i have the hhr fan that i took off up for sale for $20 if you want to try it.it work for me but in 4x4 and hot days it would run hot but others dont seem to have trouble with it.my motor is far from stock also so may have had something to do with it.

the hhr fan wont fit a foctory radiator though right? if the taurus one will work, i found one for about $50 on ebay or i could hit up my local junk yard and get it for $15 probably.

too cheap to work? doesnt say anything about being single or dual speed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-FA...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

The hhr fits without trimming.the Taurus doesnt fit without ALOT of trimming.if you can find the supercharged model of the 3.8 thunderbird it fits way better with less trimming.i would suggest getting the Taurus from the junk yard.those controllers will work fine but you still need to replace that relay with the 75amp one from Amazon. Also you dont need a dual speed just hook it up to turn on high only.

I don't think it's worth the $ or time for those mods. IMHO. Best thing you can do is drive slower for MPG.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think it's worth the $ or time for those mods. IMHO. Best thing you can do is driver slower for MPG.

I would have to totally disagree with you and many other would to.those two mods(efan&udp) will gain atleast 2-3mpg and with him driving a 100 miles every day that will add up quick,ill let you do the math.

Back