• Register Today It's free!

Making adapter plates

ErickSaint

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have a set of Rainbow components I'm looking at putting in another car but I need to make adapter plates to fit the stock 6x9 location. Is it ok to use something like 1/4" masonite/hardboard? Or do I need to go with something more sturdy?

I have seen the adapter plates that crutchfield gives with their sets and they seem to be a lot more flimsy than the hardboard would be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just ordered a set of 5 1/4 speakers from crutchfield, and they included the adapters for the 5x7/6x8 holes in the explorer, and lemme tell you. they are NOT flimsy. i tried to bend 'em and test out the strength, and these things are STRONG.

but making your own is probably cheaper. you could either buy the plastic yourself and make 'em, or make 'em out of spare wood. i woudl try to use something that won't break down over time though. cause if worst comes to worst, just make new ones later.

Perhaps they changed them then, last pair I had were about good enough to use for templates to make new ones, but just used them as is. Didn't plan on going out of my way to buy any, but I have a ton of 1/4" hardboard cutoffs laying around at work.

My buddy who used to install car audio and security for a living has used plenty of masonite for speaker adaptors. Cheap, and works fine.

I had to modify the adapters a bit, 3 out of the 4 holes were lining up, the 4th hole was barely off. I think this was due to the previous owner installing the wrong size speakers. But I used a dremel to trim the 4th hole so I could put the screw through. The plastic filed away easy enough, but with the metal attachment I was using, it still took some coaxing.

I'd have no problem recommending them to anyone else. But go with whatever's cheapest. The adapters only make it look nice and a little bit easier.

My buddy who used to install car audio and security for a living has used plenty of masonite for speaker adaptors. Cheap, and works fine.

Good deal, I'll give the masonite a shot, thanks guys.

Try to use 1/2" the little extra wont hurt.

Try to use 1/2" the little extra wont hurt.

Not 100% what masonite is (is it that the stuff they use for table tennis boards and such? where the edges round over and flake?), but they're only speakers, no need for 1/2". 1/4" works fine, we use MDF for it though, the scraps we have laying around usually end up working great.

Yeah I'm just trying to use what's laying around, no mdf that thin. I don't want to bottom mount and using anything larger than 1/4" won't fit, the stock speaker grills will not go back on with that thickness in there.

I would go to 1/2" if making a baffle board or something, this is just for a 5 1/4" component set.

i used 3/4" material for the adapters in my first gen.

Just use mdf and put a few coats of resin on it afterwards.

Back