Making my liftgate...into a tailgate | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Making my liftgate...into a tailgate

So I have a little project I'm working on which turns a factory Explorer lift gate into a tailgte/liftgate combo. another words I'm cutting the gate in half:eek:

Anywho... so DB_1 donated is old tailgate off his '97 Ranger with all the hardware (Thanks Dave:thumbsup:)

...and Fat Cat has donated a spare liftgate off his '99 Explorer. (Thanks Chris:thumbsup:) that I'm still waiting do get my hands on..:( (still needs to be picked up in SD :rolleyes:)

So here is a interesting fact...

Ranger Gate 54" wide

Explorer Gate 54 3/8" wide

I belive the extra 3/8" is the bow in the 98-01 gates.

So here is the plan..

I will use the mounting hardware only( hinge) from the Ranger gate. I will also most likly use the limit cables. I plan to still use the factory Explorer latch. this will allow me to use it just like a tailgate with the handle.

Where to cut...ahhh this is the question. I'm still looking into this as the top will still work as a lift gate like on a camper shell. The trick is getting it to seal and lock with out adding to whats there. I'm looking at tring to still use the latch for the glass, and pop the top that way...but not sure if I can make it work.:(

Using tbars truck as a Exsample (Thanks Ted:thumbsup:) I would probally cut on the red line. Sealing the rear glass some how and using everything as is to speak. A 1st and 2nd gen would work the same. Maybe using a piece of plexyglass instead would work better, but the curve of the glass could be a issue.:(

gate_project.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'm puting my spare back on the back someday. and I think with a 37" tire on the rear visibility is kind of a side thought:rolleyes:

Here's what our 40" tire were working on. But for rear visibility, no problem that's what a rear camera is for.:p:

Attachments

• DSC00828.JPG
    DSC00828.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 888

so much for a gas can! :p:

Gigantamous spare tire = need rack on roof to accomodate it...

Cut the gate

So here is what I got....

gate7.jpg

gate6.jpg

gate5.jpg

Thinking of using door hinges off, like off a house.

gate3.jpg

gate4.jpg

Yeah looking good there Stic!

looks awesome

Looks good Stic.
Posted via Mobile Device

bump

Scored a Free back window today. Special thanks to IZwack:thumbsup:

Hopefullly it makes it here in one piece:(

Kinda got side tracked on this , but started thinking and playing with it today. I'm 99% sure I figured out the gate hinge. I'll try bolting it up tommorow and see what I get. Still need to get a 2'x5' piece of lexan or something for the rear window. Just don't really have the money for it.:(

Thank you! Just made my weekend project a hundred times easier!

Just for Referance...for everyone else...;) The Ranger gate fits scary well!!!:eek: Comparing the lower part of the Ex gate and Ranger gate, they are identical in size. It would not take very much effort to put a Ranger gate on a explorer, and have it look good.

rangate.jpg

rangate2.jpg

I'm 99% sure I figured out the gate hinge. I'll try bolting it up tommorow and see what I get.

Any update? As I'm sure you've discovered, the Ranger hardware won't work.

This is the best thing I can think of. I didn't want the hinges outside the body but I think it is inevitable.

tailgate4.jpg

Vs Ranger hinge:

tailgate5.jpg

Havn't played with Ranger hinge to match yet. Been working on another hinge, and I'm close, but the 2nd gen gate is making it really hard. The curve in it hits the bumper:( I do know that the lower lip of the gate needs to be hammered flat or cut off. It gets in the way to much. Just need som more time, I play with it then think for awhile and come back. I am close though.;)

Well before you cut it off take a look at my hinge placement. Today I came up with a prototype that works great so far. It's just weak and non-removable, so I need to make a new set of hinges now that are beefier and incorporate the Ranger hardware.

I posted the pics in my build thread in my sig.

OK, your sort of going the same direction as me. My idea is to use a standard 4" door hinge and space the hinge out 1 1/2" from under the weather striping. The other side just bolts to the bottom of the door. I think it will work, just not sure if the gate will go through the swing ok.

Back