Making my liftgate...into a tailgate | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Making my liftgate...into a tailgate

So I have a little project I'm working on which turns a factory Explorer lift gate into a tailgte/liftgate combo. another words I'm cutting the gate in half:eek:

Anywho... so DB_1 donated is old tailgate off his '97 Ranger with all the hardware (Thanks Dave:thumbsup:)

...and Fat Cat has donated a spare liftgate off his '99 Explorer. (Thanks Chris:thumbsup:) that I'm still waiting do get my hands on..:( (still needs to be picked up in SD :rolleyes:)

So here is a interesting fact...

Ranger Gate 54" wide

Explorer Gate 54 3/8" wide

I belive the extra 3/8" is the bow in the 98-01 gates.

So here is the plan..

I will use the mounting hardware only( hinge) from the Ranger gate. I will also most likly use the limit cables. I plan to still use the factory Explorer latch. this will allow me to use it just like a tailgate with the handle.

Where to cut...ahhh this is the question. I'm still looking into this as the top will still work as a lift gate like on a camper shell. The trick is getting it to seal and lock with out adding to whats there. I'm looking at tring to still use the latch for the glass, and pop the top that way...but not sure if I can make it work.:(

Using tbars truck as a Exsample (Thanks Ted:thumbsup:) I would probally cut on the red line. Sealing the rear glass some how and using everything as is to speak. A 1st and 2nd gen would work the same. Maybe using a piece of plexyglass instead would work better, but the curve of the glass could be a issue.:(

gate_project.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup pretty much it. Except I don't want it permanent so I won't use a fixed hinge for the final project, I want to be able to remove the tailgate easily.

I found the perfect pivot point for the hinge to be 14" (center if hinge) in from either side of the tailgate, 4.75" out from the flat surface under the weatherstripping, and 1.75" down from the bottom of the tailgate. Of course building in some adjustability for fine tuning. With my hinges set at this spot the gate opens and closes smoothly. I think the latches will have to be adjusted though, they are angled wrong and take some effort to close.

I'm debating whether I want to bolt to the body or the rear crossmember. The crossmember will be a stronger design but I'm wary of the flex of the body mounts.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Not sure how opposed you are to using Chevy parts, but you could look at hinges for the 67-72 or 73-91 Chevy/GMC suburban as an option.

Here is a 79 hinge:
TGH73S.jpg

And here is a 67-72 on a truck, and what the opening looks like:
sub_back_driver.jpg

More pictures: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=313438

Also found the S10 blazer hinge (92-99 suburban/tahoe are similar):
100_0882.jpg

I'm familer with the old burbs. My sis had a fully restored 3 door;)

My beef with those hinges is the tailgate would not be removable. I consider that a must for a tailgate.

I got my hinges built and they work. BUT I'm still have clearance issues with the bumper!

I'm leaning more and more towards a barn door setup like on an Excursion.

My beef with those hinges is the tailgate would not be removable. I consider that a must for a tailgate.

I got my hinges built and they work. BUT I'm still have clearance issues with the bumper!

I'm leaning more and more towards a barn door setup like on an Excursion.

Why barn doors? In my opinion, the only reason to even change the hatch in the first place would be to add some functionality to it. Barn doors are probably the least functional type of door of all.

On another note, can one of you guys figure out how to make the window roll down into the hatch like the fullsize broncos? I'd love to have that on my truck.

Why barn doors? In my opinion, the only reason to even change the hatch in the first place would be to add some functionality to it. Barn doors are probably the least functional type of door of all.

On another note, can one of you guys figure out how to make the window roll down into the hatch like the fullsize broncos? I'd love to have that on my truck.

You'd have better luck using a toyota 4-runner. they have a liftgate like ours, but with the electric window.

You'd have better luck using a toyota 4-runner. they have a liftgate like ours, but with the electric window.

I know the 4runners have it, which is one of my favorite parts about those. But i would love to have a fold down tailgate too.

Now that I have it all setup the hatch feels way too bulky to be a fold down tailgate. Much too thick and sticks out too far. My rear window will be attached to my hardtop.

Of course barn doors are a HUGE can of worms. I really don't want to undertake that project.

4 runner tailgate or FSB, I would imagine the Toyota parts would be closer to the correct size... this is a big deal though, the explorer hatch is no where near constructed like the all metal 4 runner door
using the explorer window with the 4 runner lift mech would be ideal IF you can stuff it into the Explorer hatch/body

the explorer window would have to have something to roll up into, some guides or channels at the top and top sides....

IE use the frame/innards from the Yota hatch, make it fit and hinge on the ex body in the correct location, then skin it with the explorer sheet metal
wow what an undertaking! would be sweet though

I plan to have some sort of hatch on the BII, two piece most likely with the top part (glass) quick release, would love to have a tailgate for well errrr tailgating

...Dumb question here...Has anyone checked with JTSmith to see if his new first gen has a tailgate setup???..It looks like it does but I'm not sure...

a first gen gate is really the way to go. the 2nd gen gate is really hard because of the bow in it, hits the bumper:rolleyes: I just hav't had time to mess with it. to much else going on:(

And we know where all that "else" is getting you...... :D

Maybe you should start working on a third row seat setup instead.

:bsnicker:

And we know where all that "else" is getting you...... :D

Maybe you should start working on a third row seat setup instead.

no..no.... I told Arus to enjoy this...because after this...
scissors.gif

Peculiar fact: The 81-91 Isuzu Trooper has offset barn doors that measure 54.5" wide.

And how wide is the Explorer hatch? 54.4"....

But the junkyard want's $47 EACH for the doors, while a single hatch would be only $47. Stupid. If I could get the pair for $47 I'd try it.

did yuo ever complete the tailgate, i dont remember the inside of the tailgate being shown on the jp spoof

Yes, I had this idea yesterday while looking at my liftgate. Should have known someone had the idea first lol

did yuo ever complete the tailgate, i dont remember the inside of the tailgate being shown on the jp spoof

no never did anything with it. I still have the gate in the garage. I probably will not finish it, because I decided to keep JP the way it is.

Back