Making my liftgate...into a tailgate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Making my liftgate...into a tailgate

So I have a little project I'm working on which turns a factory Explorer lift gate into a tailgte/liftgate combo. another words I'm cutting the gate in half:eek:

Anywho... so DB_1 donated is old tailgate off his '97 Ranger with all the hardware (Thanks Dave:thumbsup:)

...and Fat Cat has donated a spare liftgate off his '99 Explorer. (Thanks Chris:thumbsup:) that I'm still waiting do get my hands on..:( (still needs to be picked up in SD :rolleyes:)

So here is a interesting fact...

Ranger Gate 54" wide

Explorer Gate 54 3/8" wide

I belive the extra 3/8" is the bow in the 98-01 gates.

So here is the plan..

I will use the mounting hardware only( hinge) from the Ranger gate. I will also most likly use the limit cables. I plan to still use the factory Explorer latch. this will allow me to use it just like a tailgate with the handle.

Where to cut...ahhh this is the question. I'm still looking into this as the top will still work as a lift gate like on a camper shell. The trick is getting it to seal and lock with out adding to whats there. I'm looking at tring to still use the latch for the glass, and pop the top that way...but not sure if I can make it work.:(

Using tbars truck as a Exsample (Thanks Ted:thumbsup:) I would probally cut on the red line. Sealing the rear glass some how and using everything as is to speak. A 1st and 2nd gen would work the same. Maybe using a piece of plexyglass instead would work better, but the curve of the glass could be a issue.:(

gate_project.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I have some ideas on this...:scratch:

...Cut it at the top of the tail lights..Makes a nice detailed body line...;)...On the tailgate you will need to make a sill with about a 1/2-3/4" lip at the rear(this allows for a rubber seal)...Using the gap at the top of the tail light, cut the hatch and make a matching sill with no lip...The gap allows for flex too...

...On the hatch just below the glass you will be able to add a keyed latch to pop the hatch while still using the t handle for the tail gate and existing key lock for the tailgate...;)

I have always wanted to make it like the full sized blazers

This is my other thought... trying to make it as clean and hidden as possiable, with adding anything extra to the out side. Want it to look normal except for the break, too make you think;)

gate_project2.jpg

this would also allow you to use the lower part of the glass seal, just not sure if the glass will be strong enough to hold all of that closed. :(

this would also allow you to use the lower part of the glass seal, just not sure if the glass will be strong enough to hold all of that closed. :(

That is how the RRCs are. The glass has the seal/lip at the bottom of it.

RearHatch-Leftside.jpg

range_rover_4.jpg

I wouldn't rule out cutting up that hatch from Chris and using Dave's hardware to fabricate it into a lift gate. If I'm not mistaken Tom Rios is using the Mazda gate and now has figure out how to keep it closed sans ratched straps.

dude! dammit, everone is doing this before me LOL

I wouldn't rule out cutting up that hatch from Chris and using Dave's hardware to fabricate it into a lift gate. If I'm not mistaken Tom Rios is using the Mazda gate and now has figure out how to keep it closed sans ratched straps.

That's why I got (or will have:rolleyes:) the spare gate. I'm not ready to start hacking up my gate up, only to screw up or find out it will not work. besides trying to replicate the gates paint job. The green on the explorer was a custom one time color, and would probally be pretty hard to reproduce:(

then what would happen if the gate is a success paint wise?

That's why I got (or will have:rolleyes:) the spare gate. I'm not ready to start hacking up my gate up, only to screw up or find out it will not work. besides trying to replicate the gates paint job. The green on the explorer was a custom one time color, and would probally be pretty hard to reproduce:(

gotcha on that part, I guess I'm not paying enought atention to if you plan on using the tail gate for the lower part or the cut up section of the lift gate.

Is DB1s tailgate just for hardware?

Is DB1s tailgate just for hardware?

Correct;) The hinge is spot welded to the gate, I need to remove it and then weld to the lower part of mine.

This will also make my lower part removable...just like a pick-up ;)

You are the s#it, man! :) If you can do this, mad props! Props anyways! ^^

Yes, mad propellers to you Stic .. very angry ones coming towards you, at dizzying rotational vectors unfathomable by the human brain. Run my friend, run!

graupner_prop_b.jpg

:p:

i think the second one would be easier,, just a few cuts and not much to make,, use the ranger hinges, and latch , just move the handle down a bit so it is just under the glass release handle,, use the lift gate you cut for the seals to the glass, weld the top side portions in place,

maybe to keep the handle for the new latch hidden , put it on the inside of the bottom part , :thumbsup:

Think of it this way, Stic-o will have all the details worked out for you:D

I've actually been working on this. Started a while ago and Have to get cracken on it. Last thing I want to get done before I paint the truck.

MoreBIV355.jpg

MoreBIV362.jpg

MoreBIV363.jpg

I'm going to be using the Ranger tailgate. I've had to chop the top off of it so that I can get the tailgate short enough to fit under the window. I have another tailgate I plan to cut up the top to fill it in like a factory tailgate but have an indent to take up the thickness that the fiberglass hatch will have. The backside of the hatch will get glass filled to seal it off. The tailgate is going to get a ranger handle relocation so that it will only open from the inside. Should be able to use all the factory ranger hardware for the lower part of the gate. The top half I plan to make a latch system and use the factory B2 t handle to activate 2 slam latches that will latch to the top of the tail gate. Hope that will give you some ideas. Hope to have mine done over the winter so that it's ready for paint this spring.

:thumbsup:

^That looks great. Well done:thumbsup:

a 98-01 Explorer is much more difficult though:( With the minvan curve going on using a Rager gate is not a option:(

...Are you going to be working on this this weekend???...:popcorn:

...Are you going to be working on this this weekend???...:popcorn:

LOL...ah no. Not sure when I will:( Still don't have the liftgate, and probally will not have it till sometime next month.

This weekend...I'm getting some rest....and Then back to work Sunday:( Last Sunday I have to work at least though:thumbsup:

Next Weekend: Volvo Brake,Wheel & Tire upgrade:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So had some time today to start striping down the liftgate and loseing some uneeded weight, ie... Windshield wiper:p: I also started planning my cuts. Here is what I'm thinking..

gate2.jpg

gate1.jpg

The real issue will be the corners at the top of the gate. I plan to leave the top half attached to the truck semi permently. With the glass poping open, there is no reason to have both go up. If it was still hauling groserys..yeah..but it's not. I 'll have to trim those corners, or it could be a nasty cut.:(

Just for Referance...for everyone else...;) The Ranger gate fits scary well!!!:eek: Comparing the lower part of the Ex gate and Ranger gate, they are identical in size. It would not take very much effort to put a Ranger gate on a explorer, and have it look good.

rangate.jpg

rangate2.jpg

Back