Manual 1354 shift fork question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual 1354 shift fork question

My VSS is in the pig so that is a different thing.

Hmm, I always thought the plug to the rear diff was RABS...so it's both VSS and RABS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, I always thought the plug to the rear diff was RABS...so it's both VSS and RABS?

It is....It's both;) That was the reason I went to a full width 8.8 vs. 9inch. I would have lost my speedo:( and mine use to be 4 wheel ABS, but now I just have a ABS light on all the time, sense there are no front sensors:D I think they changed it '98 on the rangers

Interesting...I was thumbing through the Haynes manual I have and it shows the plug on the rear of the case as a speed sensor. My truck is rear ABS only plus it was the first year of the electronic 5 speed (5r55e) tranny. I'm wondering if the speed sensor in the T-case is for the tranny and if the sensor in the diff is for ABS only or both ABS and speed sensor as well. Guess I could unplug it and find out;)

I bet the speed sensor is in the rear end like mine. I just filled my t-case hole with a modified spare rear end sensor.;)

I'm wondering if the speed sensor in the T-case is for the tranny and if the sensor in the diff is for ABS only or both ABS and speed sensor as well. Guess I could unplug it and find out;)
Ye sensor in transfer case is to calculate driveshaft speed difference for computer-controlled 4wd engagement. Ye sensor in the differential is for ABS and speed-ohhhhh snaps!!.

Ye sensor in transfer case is to calculate driveshaft speed difference for computer-controlled 4wd engagement. Ye sensor in the differential is for ABS and speed-ohhhhh snaps!!.

Thanks IZ:thumbsup:

Steve, my T-case sensor actually has wires going to it so it does something:p:

Went to the dealer to get what I needed to install my manual case...got the gasket (in stock) and the little piece of linkage which I can pick up tomorrow.
I also asked about getting the pigtail to wire up the dash lights and the guy showed me a book with all the different plugs he can get but they aren't labeled so i'd have to take off the plug on the case so it can get matched up. Then i'd have to find the wires in the shift motor bundle, not sure if I need the dash lights that badly. I'm already $40 or so in parts for this T-case:rolleyes:

Just slap it in and see if it works;) It's like you drive it every day:rolleyes:

i have a manual transmission, so i never hooked mine up. but from what i remember on the 95-97 it was a speedo sensor, but there is also a plug for the 4wd lights on the dash.

That was the reason I went to a full width 8.8 vs. 9inch. I would have lost my speedo

Thought you might find this interesting Steve, this guy made a reluctor ring that mounts on the output of the T-case so he can get a reading just like the tone ring in the diff:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692730&page=4

Finally picked up the little shift lever for the T-case so now I can bolt this thing in. I originally ordered this part a week ago but the parts guy ordered a lever for the tranny which looked close to both of us on the diagram. Turns out he had the wrong diagram pulled up...auto T-case instead of manual T-case.

Izwack di the same thing about a year ago, that probally where he got the idea:p: Only Iz used a old D44 bearing or something:confused:

Hey Dave. I got my tcase out and a tail housing and was looking to get this in my head but i have misplaced the bolt that holds the linkage to the tail shaft section.

Is it a special bolt that has a big body and small thread section?

hey im not trying to step on your thred but i was hoping some one might be abel to ancer a ?? i have. as of right now i have the electric 1354 and im swaping it out for a manual 1354. will i need to chang anything els on my truck besids cuting the hole in my flore? and by some of the pics iv looked at it looks like it youses difrint drive shafts? is this true or do my eyes deseve me? and if i do need difrint drive shafts what ones do i need thanks.

Back