Marine install - grounding issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Marine install - grounding issues?

draft

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mounty Sport
Ok, so I spent over 4hours doing the install, right I hoped. I think I forgot to compensate for one thing though..

Whenever the amp gets turned on by the HU, it automatically goes into protect and begins heating up heavily; I could cook on it within 2 mins of it on. It's the ground. Everything is fine, but I've narrowed it down the the ground and the amount of resistance...

Since this is a boat, both the power and negative are going to the battery, approx 15feet from amp. I think I forgot to compensate for that distance... I was reading somewhere I should do 4ga ground, or hell, even 0/1 gauge (with my current 8ga as both ground and power wire) to make up for the length? Most of the time spent today was organizing these two wires so that they are completely sealed and hid away.. looks like I'm pulling it all out though =\

Does this sound right? Trying to get this ready before spring break... Everything looks good so far, just this amp loves going into protect IMMEDIATELY and its HOT. I don't have a digital multimeter, but I think my estimate about it being the ground is the exact problem....

In any cause, does anyone have any possible reasoning for this, or solutions? I really appreciate it.

The amp is an Infinity 2100M, HU is a Pioneer DEH-P3800MP, and the speakers are Infinity 620M.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

amp is ***0red?

also aren't marine electrical systems more than 12.6/14.4v?

take the amp to your truck real quick and check it out?

mrpeaches said:
amp is ***0red?

also aren't marine electrical systems more than 12.6/14.4v?

take the amp to your truck real quick and check it out?

1. Amp looks fine, I'm seeking other possibilities before I return for a new one.

2. Nope, marine is just between 12 and 14v, almost the exact same.

3. Can't do... the install in my truck is too complex to touch unfortunately. Can't get to any of the wires without destroying something.

I really really doubt it is the ground. The amp will just pull more amps if it has a bad ground or not turn on.

You try turning the amp on with no speakers connected?

why not try another battery closer to the amp?

sounds to me like you wired the speakers (2 of them or 4?) in such a way to create the wrong ohm load...

I agree something is not right with that amp or your system setup.

I ran a large ground wire up to where I would install the amp and head unit, also used it for my interior neon lights later down the road. Creating kind of a grounding manifold that I can tap into as I add more accessories.

Then it is just a matter of running + fuse/circuit breaker to any new additions.
My amp is 8' from the battery.
In the boat I wanted to keep things VERY simple, one amp, 4 speakers and a sub. It's friggin louder then my truck!

I figured it out.. hours later..

The speaker wires were shorting out and just drawing huge amounts of power, heating everything up and hardly any sound coming out of the speakers. The 4ga ground did no difference. I hooked the speakers directly to the HU after pulling the amp, and the HU started to heat up just like the amp, so I turned it all off...

Out of curiousity.. I ran new speaker wire (cause I was using the existing stuff for the time being, it was 14ga stock too) and what do you know.. it works.

Honestly though, my concern is now trying to figure out what else shorted in its path because the last thing I need a dead boat in the middle of a lake. =\

In any case... the system is installed and done, sounds fabulous.

410Fortune: What subs/tube did you put in your boat? I'm thinking of adding one.. but the speakers I bought have awesome lows already...

Thanks guys.

I am running 4 ea Jensen 6.5" co-axials, honestly the best sounding Marine speaker I have seen (espec at $80 a pair)
I picked up a 350W MTX amp, 3 channel to power the rear coaxials and the sub.
I am running a Rockford series 1 12" at 2 ohm in a ported box I built. It fits under the dash/instrument cluster, with the sub firing up into the dash and the port firing out towards the drivers feet. The box is so big that I had to completely remove the steering setup (tilt wheel) and instrument cluster to get it under there, perfect for potential theives.

I chose the Rockford sub because it was like $40 and it's 2 ohm. It also has rubber surround and a plastic cone, so I dont mind if it gets some water dripped on it.

Next I will be adding some horn loaded drivers on teh wake tower, then using the 2 rear channels from th eMTX amp to power those and returning the 2 rear jensens to deck power.

Simple, LOUD and ALOT of bass, typically when we tie up a few boats together, everyone else turns their systems off and we use mine....it ROCKS.
My stock alternator (75 amp, 4.3L Merc) has no problem keeping up with the amp/deck, I have dual Optima red tops in the boat, I also carry a charged jumper box just in case (has saved the day for other boats many times, I have not needed it, yet)

OH my head unit is Kenwood Excelon 910, 4.5V preout with full EQ and built in crossovers and sound staging, 55w x 4. I also ran a I-Pod adapter allowing us to plug in any portable MP3 player into a 1/8" stereo headphone jack.

the power for the amp is run through an accessory position the boat came with built into the stock circuit breaker box, 30 amp circuit I believe.

I spend ALOT of time in the water, just flaoting around and otherwise, so its real nice to have my MP3's and a good system out there....

I spent around 300-400 for the speakers, HU and amp; $90 speakers, $150 amp, $130 hu and all the rest of the install ****... I don't spend THAT much time on the water, but I HAD to upgrade from the old crap in the boat.. a JVC casette player and 2 tin speakers...

The only type of sub I would consider is a tube simply because I'm more of a person white invites EVERYONE on the boat, and I need all the room I can get... and since I don't have a tower (yet), the wakeboards take up lots of space...

Any recommendations on some tubed subs (I know they suck, but it's something? Any other advice?

my boat came with the same and the JVC head unit would not even play CD's, boat had been used 4 times when I bought it

Bass tubes BLOW typically. hahahaha I was going this route as well, but found a space in the boat that is not used for anything else really. I robbed some of my storage for towels, but even with 70-8 people on the boat we manage. it will get worse when I add a heater and ballast tanks this summer though.....

So since you already have the amp I assume you are looking at like Bazooka tubes with no internal amp? or self powered stuff?
Bazzooka tubes IMO sound great in hatchbacks or small truck cabs/cars, but in a boat a small vented box is the way to go...but of course it depends on what you are looking for.

Back