max tire on 8 in rim | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

max tire on 8 in rim

Firstly I have already done a search but couldnt find a good answer. What is the largest tire I can fit on a 15x8 in rim. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How wide did you want to run? Wider than 12.50? Most manufacturers will give specs to what size rim would work.

A buddy of mine has been running 36-14.50-15 TSL's on 15x8's for a while now with no problems.

Approved tire width on a 8-inch rim is 12-inches, meaning any tire shop will install and maintain. Wider tires may require a specality shop for maintenence. Almoste everybody on this site runs 12.5 on 8-inch rim. Running a wider tire tend to cause tread wear problems.

just about anything will *work* but like what everyone else said, your gonna run into problems

i just put a 33x14in bogger on a 15x7in rim. it looks freggin weird, but it will work fine (for a spare)

again like what everyone else said, 12.50 is the widest you would want to go

Running anything wider than a 12.50" raises the chance of you popping the beads and going flat. Good luck

-Drew

Thanks for all the info and help guys. I think I'll go with the 12.50s

Stupid question time: Is a 15x8 the size of a stock rim? I know my rims are 15's but I wasn't sure how wide.

The width you can safely run on a rim is dependent upon the height of the tire you want to run. It is all about the angle where the tire meets the wheel ( \___/ ), not the actual width of the tire.

And stock wheels are 7" wide.

Robb is correct, I was about to point that out. Check on the Tire Rack, all of their tires have specs listing wheel width limits.
Don

Back