Max Tire Size and stock axle strength? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Max Tire Size and stock axle strength?

I fixed my truck so the loan I took out for a new car will probably go to a lift and tires. So, I looked at the sticky to see what size tires I can fit and such, but what would be the recomended tire height on stock axles and what gear ratio should I go with? Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen people run 38" on the stock axles, most people would agree 35's and 4.56 gears is the max you would want to run.
33's and 4.56 gears would be the recommended size for longer bearing life and drivetrain life.
There are lots of variables here such as do you go offroad, is it a daily driver etc...

Well, what tire size do you want to go to? If you have 4wd (I assume you do) Then you don't really want to go bigger than a 35, as the D35 won't be able to take it. The 8.8 is a stout axle, and, I'm not positive, but I think you could go up to a 37~38" tire on that axle safely. For a 33-35" tire, you'll probably want a 4.56 ratio. I have this ratio with 33's, and it's great. Plenty of folks run it with 35's also, which seems to work just as well.
EDIT: Doh! jrgaylor got it while I was typing this up.

I will probably go with 33's, the truck will go off road but just to the beach, and it is a daily driver. Also should I go with a LSD for the front and rear with a lift and bigger tires, or is it not necessary? Thank you again.

With 33's, go 4:56 gears. Some think that is a tad on the low side, but if you've ever driven the V6 w/4:56's and 33's you would think its perfect. You need at least some sort of limited slip or locker in the rear. Front would be nice, but not required if you're only gonna do mild wheeling.

Sounds good. Thank you for the quick replies!

james t said:
if you've ever driven the V6 w/4:56's and 33's you would think its perfect.

It is that! I knew the 4.10 wasn't going to be enough...very happy that I went with the 4.56 and the LSD.

-Drew

do you need to lift a 1st gen explorer to fit 30 inch tires on it?

somewhiteguy05 said:
do you need to lift a 1st gen explorer to fit 30 inch tires on it?

you should be fine, some can fit 31's with no lift, others like myself still had rub with a 2" body lift when I had 31's

Ok it looks like I'll be going with 32" maybe 33", now will I be able to put them on the stock 15" rims? I'm looking at 32x10.5 or 33x10.5 Or will I need new rims with a different backspacing? Thank you again guys!

Tim S said:
Ok it looks like I'll be going with 32" maybe 33", now will I be able to put them on the stock 15" rims? I'm looking at 32x10.5 or 33x10.5 Or will I need new rims with a different backspacing? Thank you again guys!

On a 10" wide tire, no, your stock wheels will work. Although if you're going with a 4" lift, I'd go with 32x11.5's. They'll fit fine and look/perform better. Also, even though the tires will work on stock rims, it would be a good idea to get 15x8's anyway to widen the stance. And if you ever want to go to say, a 33 or 35x12.5, then you're going to need an 8" wide wheel anyway.

i have 33s on my 91 xl & its ALL stock but has dana 35 in front & dana 40 in rear from factory

Your 91 has a dana 35 ttb reverse rotation up front and a Ford 8.8 31 spline drum brake rear axle, not a dana.

He could be mistaken on that one. I mean, it's very possible, he thought he had a Dana 40 rear so.....

Back