Mercon V vs. Mercon for the transfer case - question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mercon V vs. Mercon for the transfer case - question

sorry, miscommunication. It is a pump, it does move fluid, but it does not pressurize the transfer case. My point is that, unlike the tranny, the transfer case does not have clutches and such that need fluid pressure to operate since the transfer case is shifted either by the shift motor(electronic) or by the operator pulling the stick(manual). Basically the point of this whole thread is that the fluid that you put in the transfer case does not matter if it is mercon or mercon V or whatever... any transmission fluid will work just fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry, miscommunication. It is a pump, it does move fluid, but it does not pressurize the transfer case. My point is that, unlike the tranny, the transfer case does not have clutches and such that need fluid pressure to operate since the transfer case is shifted either by the shift motor(electronic) or by the operator pulling the stick(manual). Basically the point of this whole thread is that the fluid that you put in the transfer case does not matter if it is mercon or mercon V or whatever... any transmission fluid will work just fine.

Um a BW4405 has clutches. While the shift motor switches between high and low range, clutches engage the front output shaft.

The pump does not pressurize the case but it does pressurize the main shaft. There are holes where the fluid comes out to lube bearings and gears.

Anyway I don't think fluid matters. I've run nothing but Mobil 1 in my t-case. It did have the shift rail bore issue at 150k but I doubt that had anything to do with fluid.

What he meant to say is that the fluid being pressurized only to move it from point A to point B where it is needed for lubrication, not actual operation of a clutch / solenoid / band combo like in a transmission

I agree - the ATF style fluid in the T-case is not a sensitive item as it's primary job is gear lubrication rather than the smooth shifting/frictional properties as in an automatic transmission proper.

I also use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my T-case, works very well and has all the low temperature advantages that a synthetic fluid has over a conventional. I wouldn't hesitate to use just about any modern multivehicle ATF in the T-case, although I am partial to fully synthetic formulations.

Rumple

Anyway I don't think fluid matters. I've run nothing but Mobil 1 in my t-case. It did have the shift rail bore issue at 150k but I doubt that had anything to do with fluid.

Motorcraft Mercon V XT-5-QMC or Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid XL-12

I was told by a motorcraft wholesaler to use either:

(special product for our trucks)
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ansfer Case Fluid&category=Transmission Fluid

or

(yes they still make Mercon!)
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...mission%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid

or

regular mercon.

They said Mercon V is not the best choice for an xfer case because of the friction properties. It probably won't kill it but there are better alternatives.

Many Explorers Transfer Case spec was Motorcraft Mercon XT-2-QDX. In 2007 Mercon was replaced by Motorcraft MERCON® V Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid XT-5-QMC per Ford TSBs for ATF and Power Steering. The TSBs say nothing regarding transfer cases and many Explorer owners manuals state Mercon and Mercon V are not interchangeable for many model years. The new Transfer case spec for 2008-2009 Explorers is Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid XL-12 Spec ESP-M2C166-H

What is the difference between Mercon V Automatic Transmission & Power Steering fluid (XT-5-QMC) and the newer Transfer Case Fluid (XL-12)? Which is better quality and best for use in Transfer Cases now for all Explorers like 1999 models , 2004 models, ....?

The Mercon, and more so the Mercon V, those are much more slippery fluids. That works great to reduce chatter, shudder, and other customer complaints, but it is harder for clutches to hold tightly. I don't know the fine details that make each new fluid spec different. Like others I try to find expert advice from the fluid experts, and Amsoil is my preference.

The transfer cases in general for Explorers and many SUV's have clutches in them, electromagnetic clutches. I recently noticed in a list of Amsoil fluid recommendations, they now call for a different fluid for the TC of my trucks. They now recommend a fluid that they have had for some time, it's called Torque Drive ATF. That is a special fluid made to meet special standards for a certain Allison fluid in heavy duty applications.

It is a stronger holding fluid than Mercon I and V, so better for our transfer cases. I got a gallon of it recently for my BW4406, for under $40. I may try it in my trans also next time, but 16 quarts is a lot to buy when I already had the other ATF.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atd.aspx

Hrm, wonder what amsoil would have to say about using it in a trans that calls for mercon v... If it's better holding, im all for it =]

I asked about it for my 4R70W, they told me I could if it was built well(not a slipping shift trans(OEM sloppy smooth)). I'm building a killer trans, but I didn't want to buy another $150 of fluid. So I'll likely try it in another trans.

Back