Mercon V transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mercon V transfer case

Ian5700

Reaction score
Can you put Mercon V in the Transfer of a 1997 sohc 4.0 explorer? I know it calls for ESP-M2C-166h in the UK manual and mercon in the hanyes, but i have some mercon v lieing around?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have read several TSBs, Ford Statements, etc. which state that you can use Mercon V backwards in anything that calls for a Ford Spec ATF, Mercon, ESP-M2C-166H, M2C-138 CJ, etc., with the exception of Ford Type F which is a different type of ATF, which mercon and mercon V cannot be used to exchange.

Ford also say that they now fill any mercon spec automatic transmission with Mercon V, as well as Power Steering now, etc.

I assume i am on the right lines with this? I mean Mercon V would have the same specifications as Mercon but just with better friction modifiers, etc. So it can furfill a Mercon application.

They have also now stopped the approval test for mercon.

Ive heard that in some rare cases, Mercon V should not be used where Mercon is recommended - an example is the E4OD/4R100 transmission (F-pickups and Econolines) where Mercon V has been known to cause faster wear.

TSB No.: 9888 NHTSA No.: 601238
TSB Date: April 27, 1998
Failing Component:
Power Train:Automatic Transmission

Description of Summary:
Information on a new transmission fluid usage chart.

But this is just from what I've read on other forums.

In this situation however, where it is being used in a transfer case, I think you'll be alright. I've ran regular gear oil in a transfer case for a few thousand miles and it was fine - given it was a manual not an electric shift.

Thats, what I have in mine.

The specific TSB is TSB 06-14-4, published 28 June, 2006, full details can be found here- http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=06-14-4. Service fluid changing from Mercon to Mercon V

IZwack, i have read about what you have described, ford was meant to readjust the V to solve that.

kert 03/07, no problems yet with the mercon V in TC? I used genuine Motorcraft WSS-M2C-202B, it is all that you can get in the UK as regards to Mercon V, the genuine Ford product.

How can one prevent foreign matter getting into the transfer case, by foreign matter i mean off road debris. I mean i found a fake of corn stake in mine, a bit of dirt, etc. It wasn't excessive, but it did exist. Something about a breather line?

Out of interest what do most people use, mercon or mercon v? If mercon v has a spec of esp-m2c-202b, it must be suitable for the mercon spec esp-m2c-185a, or have i got that wrong?

Back