Mercon V or Mercon in the transfer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mercon V or Mercon in the transfer case?

protomind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Edition
I was able to find a link or two on this forum about this matter, but I am looking for a more definitive answer. Should I put Mercon V into the transfer case, or should I roll with regular Mercon? I currently have Mobil1 Mercon V Synthetic fluid which it sounds like I may need to return and get regular Mercon.
I noticed that on the back of the Mobil1 bottle it claims that Mercon V is backwards compatible with Mercon applications, at least that is how I read it.
Does the transfer case have a filter?
Is there a synthetic Mercon available?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant seem to find this info anywhere. I would appreciate the help greatly. Like I said I did find two threads here on the matter, but they did not seem convincing enough either way.

royal purple syncro gear , as you are using it in your transfer case the oil you have now is also fine merc or v dont worry about it

I meant to say that I bought some to put into the transfer case, I am not really sure what is inside of it right now. So you are saying the mercon v is fine?

Back