• Register Today It's free!

MFT Resetting itself often.

boltsfan17

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD
Starting this past weekend, MFT has been constantly resetting itself every other day, sometimes multiple times a day. Each time MFT has reset itself, I have to do a master reset since certain things don't work anymore such as Sirius Travel Link. So since last Saturday, I believe I have counted MFT resetting itself around 7 times. Has anyone else had this issue? I have a 2013 Explorer with all the latest updates. I did try a fuse pull once combined with a master reset, but that didn't correct the issue. I assume I will have to take it in to the dealership and see what they can do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was my performance upgrade...They replaced the APIM module, but I am still having lots of issues with MFT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JRckiGa2A

CNSheets - try turning the automatic phone book download to "OFF". Other users have reported lots of flaky behavior being resolved if that is set to off. Strange, I know, but it apparently can help.

CNSheets - try turning the automatic phone book download to "OFF". Other users have reported lots of flaky behavior being resolved if that is set to off. Strange, I know, but it apparently can help.

Thats one of the first things that I did after the APIM was replaced. It certainly does not continuously reboot now, but still does not work. I find the best solution is to use MFT as little as possible, and when I do, keep it as simple as possible, for instance, use it for selecting preset radio stations only, keep the temp set to a specific setting and leave it on auto, don't use the phone quad or any phone feature, and dont use nav unless absolutely necessary, or just use your iphone maps instead.

The less I touch or use anything related to MFT, the better! My MFT seems to like it that way. It likes to be left alone.

Thats one of the first things that I did after the APIM was replaced. It certainly does not continuously reboot now, but still does not work. I find the best solution is to use MFT as little as possible, and when I do, keep it as simple as possible, for instance, use it for selecting preset radio stations only, keep the temp set to a specific setting and leave it on auto, don't use the phone quad or any phone feature, and dont use nav unless absolutely necessary, or just use your iphone maps instead.

The less I touch or use anything related to MFT, the better! My MFT seems to like it that way. It likes to be left alone.

haha. thats terrible that these systems are getting that complicated, moody, and grouchy.

Maybe we are approaching the very beginning of an AI evolution and apocalypse. :eek:

I have 2013 and haven't had any resets

I have 2013 and haven't had any resets

Same here. If I have had any resets, it's been while the Ex is parked. Only issue was with the buttons turing orange, but I didn't use the master reset to fix it.

I removed the flash drive to add some more tunes to it and when I plugged it back in the stereo went into an "indexing" mode for about a day and refused to play anything from the drive. Radio/Sirius/CD were ok. Tried to do a master reset an that also seemed to stall (waited hours). My next step was to pull the fuse. As the bride and I were returning home from an outing (I had her read the fuse locations to me from the OM) the Sync did what I will call a "reboot". A splash screen appeared (Synd/Microsoft) with a progress bar and the info that it was performing "scheduled maintennance" (that may not be the exact wording) which lasted 2 min or so. Afterward everything seemed to work fine. Did it download a new version of Sync? How (from where), through Syrius (doubtful), through the data link on my iPhone (sure, why not)? Was it just rebooting, what triggered it?
So now the stero and most other functions seem back to normal. Except for the seat memory. The problems with that started after the "reboot" (or whatever it was) but I'm not sure they're really related.

I removed the flash drive to add some more tunes to it and when I plugged it back in the stereo went into an "indexing" mode for about a day and refused to play anything from the drive. Radio/Sirius/CD were ok. Tried to do a master reset an that also seemed to stall (waited hours). My next step was to pull the fuse. As the bride and I were returning home from an outing (I had her read the fuse locations to me from the OM) the Sync did what I will call a "reboot". A splash screen appeared (Synd/Microsoft) with a progress bar and the info that it was performing "scheduled maintennance" (that may not be the exact wording) which lasted 2 min or so. Afterward everything seemed to work fine. Did it download a new version of Sync? How (from where), through Syrius (doubtful), through the data link on my iPhone (sure, why not)? Was it just rebooting, what triggered it?
So now the stero and most other functions seem back to normal. Except for the seat memory. The problems with that started after the "reboot" (or whatever it was) but I'm not sure they're really related.

Nope, MFT's not contacting Microsoft or any other entity. The system's simply rebooting. Yes, a strange message, but a reboot. You can search on "reboot" or "system maintenance" for more info

Out of curiosity, how does your MFT work when your phone isn't paired to it?

Hey, RedDog1!

Your system was rebooting. :) If you're still having issues with your seat memory, hit up Cory ([URL="http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=157968”]FordCustSrvc[/URL]); he'll be able to help with that!

Rebecca

Hey guys!

I just want to make sure these issues have been resolved for both of you. If not, please send me a private message so we can get your systems fixed!

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

I somehow missed your post. MFT is still resetting itself often for me, but it's not as bad as before. I haven't tried turning off the automatic phone book download yet. I plan on doing a fuse pull this weekend. I will select the phone book off when I pair my phones again. I did take the Explorer to the dealership, but they couldn't find anything wrong from the tests they did. The dealership said the APIM was find and they couldn't replicate the resetting issue I'm having. I'll send you a PM if nothing fixes the issue. Thank you.

Hi Rebecca,

I somehow missed your post. MFT is still resetting itself often for me, but it's not as bad as before. I haven't tried turning off the automatic phone book download yet. I plan on doing a fuse pull this weekend. I will select the phone book off when I pair my phones again. I did take the Explorer to the dealership, but they couldn't find anything wrong from the tests they did. The dealership said the APIM was find and they couldn't replicate the resetting issue I'm having. I'll send you a PM if nothing fixes the issue. Thank you.

It's all good! I swear I haven't been sitting here crying because you were ignoring me... ;)

Rebecca

Hey, RedDog1!

Your system was rebooting. :) If you're still having issues with your seat memory, hit up Cory ([URL="http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=157968”]FordCustSrvc[/URL]); he'll be able to help with that!

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca, but this AM we discovered the battery was dead. Couldn't even get a jump-start so we had it towed to the dealer and will let them have a shot at the memory function too.

Thanks Rebecca, but this AM we discovered the battery was dead. Couldn't even get a jump-start so we had it towed to the dealer and will let them have a shot at the memory function too.

:thumbdwn: Let me know what you dealer says!

Rebecca

Back