might buy second gen, need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

might buy second gen, need advice

rileyrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
im lookin at buying a 2nd gen X, 1997 with 160k, 40k on rebuilt motor, ported and polished.
its a 4.0 sohc.
hids, euro tails, aftermarket wheels, goodyr tires.
flowmaster.
k&n full intake.
jet chip.

they want 3k for it, im guessin thats a good deal. but i wanna know things i should look for when checkin it out.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's SOHC, check to make sure the "timing chain" work has been done. If you don't know what I'm talking about, search around the site. It's often called that "Rattle of Death", but it's not that dramatic. It is an expensive fix now that Ford isn't picking up the tab.

Three K Is a lot because of the economy, and the number of explorers for sale. My advice is to keep an open mind to what else is out there Explorer wise. DONT FALL IN LOVE WITH IT TILL YOU TAKE IT HOME.

I bought my '96 5.0 for $1,500 (130K miles)with a dent in the rear fender and my girlfriends '97 4.0 for 2,000 (101K miles) in great condition. Both sellers wanted $500 more and both trucks needed a lot of routine maintenance (plugs, wires filters, tires etc...).

As an owner of both I recommend the 5.0l. My 5.0 gets better fuel econ than My 4.0 (about 20 mpg). Provably because of the way the trans is geared and my girlfriends erratic driving habits. The 5.0 hauls ass.

The 4.0 push rod engine is incredibly durable and shouldn't need rebuilding that early unless the truck took a serious beating.

Three K Is a lot because of the economy, and the number of explorers for sale. My advice is to keep an open mind to what else is out there Explorer wise. DONT FALL IN LOVE WITH IT TILL YOU TAKE IT HOME.

I bought my '96 5.0 for $1,500 (130K miles)with a dent in the rear fender and my girlfriends '97 4.0 for 2,000 (101K miles) in great condition. Both sellers wanted $500 more and both trucks needed a lot of routine maintenance (plugs, wires filters, tires etc...).

As an owner of both I recommend the 5.0l. My 5.0 gets better fuel econ than My 4.0 (about 20 mpg). Provably because of the way the trans is geared and my girlfriends erratic driving habits. The 5.0 hauls ass.

The 4.0 push rod engine is incredibly durable and shouldn't need rebuilding that early unless the truck took a serious beating.

fuel economy is about the same, the sohc that the op is looking at is actually a hair faster than the 302, but 3k isn't a bad price if it's in really good shape. And if he's planning on doing the mods that this one already has it could save him a little money in the future. All that being said these things are a dime a dozen so don't settle for the first one you look at.

I didn't think that was a bad price but I'm obviously cheep. I went to Kbb.com

thanks for the info guys, how bout a 1994 2rd, 4x4, spd, manual hubs, manual tcase. 180k, for $1300?

the reason im lookin at the two trucks, is cuz my 93 is gettin some bad a4ld symptoms, and i dont really feel like messin with it.

the thing i like about the 94, is that all my mods on the 93, can switch right over, so it will save me probly $500 over the 97.

which sounds like a better deal?
is the 94's 5spd a reliable tranny, giving that the clutch is good, which i will check when i see the car.

Well, The first generation is the most cost effective. I think the second gen. X's are way nicer. Now it seems like a matter of personal taste, and how thick your wallet is. Keep shopping though. In my opinion an old man kept, garage kept, well maintained, low mileage, 5.0 would be the bomb. They're out there.

If you are wheeling hard, most people like the 1st gen's. If it's all street than pick one based on your budget.

If you can get into a 98-01, those have improvements over the 95-97's. Any 302 truck will be more reliable than the V6 trans and the SOHC V6. You can end up with an abused truck, but assuming any decent care, the V8 is a much better choice. The V8 parts are easy to come by now, and the truck prices are down.

I'd expect to find a 1998 302 Limited Explorer for no more than $3000, a good one. Get the options and color that you want, with the V8.

it will deffinately see some off road.
the $1300 budget is deffinately better for me right now, and like i said the first gen is gonna save me mod money, since i can take everything off my 93.

my big question is, how reliable is the 5 spd on the first gens, since my a4ld sucks, if im gonna buy another truck i want a better tranny.

I read that the manual is a little stronger, the A4LD definitely sucks. The later V6 trans(5R55E) is not stronger. It's the same basic guts, with a few slight improvements, and a much more complicated VB.

Manuals tend to hold up a little better as CDW6212R said but they are not perfect. Be sure there are not obvious leaks in the rear main seal or clutch system as it requires the trans to come out to replace a slave cylinder (common failure if the rear main leaks much). But for your options, I would definately manual is probably the better choice in the first gens.

It seals around the rear of the trans, around the drive shaft and keeps the fluid in. look for leaks.

look for any serious leaks where the trans meets the engine

Always replace front and rear seals of an engine and trans whenever they are out of the vehicle. Use the best seals possible there.

My 4.0 has that slave cylinder that is a nightmare Inside the bell housing behind the clutch. Ya know the Mazda trans. I had a shop do it for the warranty. Those that have one know what I mean.

thanks for the info.
i will keep searching for a 1st gen 5spd, since ive decided that my best deal.
i might buy the one with 180k, the 94, but it seemed that the oil hadnt been changed in forever! which makes me suspicious that it hasnt been cared for well in general, but if they will take like $800 then i think it will be worth it.

Back