Minimum gauge (thickness) steel for sliders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Minimum gauge (thickness) steel for sliders

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
The shop where I work has lots of 2"x2" and 1"x3" 11ga mild steel box tube that I could snag for cheap/free. It's pretty beefy - would it work for sliders? Everyone on EF seems to be using much thicker tube.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with 1/4.. Definately go with atleast 3/16" anything less and it'll crumple on a good obstacle. I've seen sliders made out of 1/8" kink like it was no one business.

It would probably depend on the wheeling you do. For dirt trails and mud, 1/8" will probably be fine to protect the body from most things. For rock crawling, they might wind up being disposable side protectors rather than sliders. Most people use thicker tube as an overkill approach, as its better to pay for thicker tube once and build sliders once than save some money only to have it crushed into scrap metal on the trail. If you can weld up sliders yourself from what you can get, try 'em out and see if it works for you. I made rocker sliders from 1/8" since it was lighter and less expensive, but I also didn't expect them to be used the same as real sliders.

I've built quite a few sets of sliders for vehicles that get wheeled hard, and I've always done them out of 1/4" box tubing. As far as I know, not one set that I have built has bent or crumpled yet. I have seen sets made with lighter tubing bend and crumple. If you're building them to be used on rocky terrain...1/4". If you're building them for looks or for lightweight use, yo can go smaller, but just keep in mind that if you ever do crumple one, it may take a body panel with it....

If you can find the right metal supplier, you can make a set of sliders out of 1/4" material for under $100.

11 gauge is just under 1/8" steel in thickness.. .120 vs .125 You also have to consider if your gonna use the sliders as a lifting point for hi-lifting? If you are, go with 3/16" or bigger.

Back