Missing hood rod? (Thing that holds the hood up) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing hood rod? (Thing that holds the hood up)

Andrew18

Reaction score
I bought a 2000 Ford Explorer today (first car! woo!), and it seems to be okay. I looked under the hood at the place where I bought it just to check some things out, but I guess I didn't notice how the hood actually stayed up.

About 15 minutes ago I went to look under the hood and it wouldn't stay up and I couldn't find a hood rod. Is it missing, or does it not need one and is just not working?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place...first post. =/)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have2 struts that hold it up right at the hinges, they're pretty much known to fail. No hood prop though :)

There is a kit that's about 80$ if I remember correctly that mounts and props the hood up from the side (2 struts that are WAY better)

I'm sure someone will chime in about that kit. Definitely on my summer list, my struts are slowly dying also.

I have seen these hood struts at auto part stores such as Auto Zone or O'rileys, but don't remember the prices. There are vendors on the forum you can check with also, just go to the vendor links on the bottom of the main menu page.

The problem is they fail quick.

Back