Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The carpet floor mats are junk - get the Ford all-weather mats and be done. They have fantastic coverage of the carpet around the edges and are well worth it. As far as the tow hook goes, many just don't have the receiver for it in the front bumper anyway, so it's a moot point. Pop that small cover and look: if all you see is flat steel and no threads for the tow hook, it explains why they aren't included.
Already gave mine away. Both driver and passenger mats cracked on the sides within a few weeks time. Re installed my Smartliner mats.

Good point - my ST did not come with the tow hook, but the cover that would pop out to reveal the receiver does not move or release from my bumper. Pushing it in does not release the cover (like indicated in the manual) - does it need to be pried open or something?

My ST DID NOT come with the rear deflector, tow hook, gas funnel or the front strut cover, BUT it did come with CHASSIS NOISES ( STRUT OR WHATEVER ), rear muffler and shield improperly installed, poor front end alignment, way over inflated tire pressure , AND,I did make the mistake of ordering the CHEAP Ford floor mats and rear cargo cover. I am one quarter of the way through my lease and then GOOD BYE ST ! Poor quality control on FO MO CO.

:D Don't feel bad Bill, my second ST is back in the shop again. This time for a different set of faulty modules. This issue it seems goes all the way down to the PIU. Because FoMoCo is selling all the PIU's they can assemble, the PIU's get priority on replacement parts. We civilians can wait. I at least am in a free rental. I feel badly for those that didn't take the high end extended coverage. My intention is to ride this out until I am at the 5 yr/100k limit.

My XLT is missing it as well, built March 2020.

Am about to buy this ST tomorrow. I have it on test drive till tomorrow. It does not have the rear lower air deflector. I plan to ask the dealer to install one. For some other reason it didn't come with all weather mats either, so either Weathertech or I'll ask the dealer to throw those in too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_181224.jpg
    IMG_20200601_181224.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200601_181237.jpg
    IMG_20200601_181237.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20200601_181531.jpg
    IMG_20200601_181531.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20200601_181927.jpg
    IMG_20200601_181927.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 90

My XLT doesn't have the deflector installed. She's a February 2020 build.
I've had the thing for two weeks now.
I'll have a chat with my dealer this week and see what he says.

I'm really beginning to doubt if the ST is supposed to have this deflector. I was just at my dealership to pick up the fuel filler funnel and checked out the 8 Explorers that they had on the lot. There were XLT's, Limiteds, a Platinum and a newly arrived ST. All had the deflector except the ST. Since they all come off the same assembly line, why would they skip the ST if it is supposed to have it? Also, one or two members mentioned that their dealer said that the deflector was not on the build sheet.

Peter
Platinum on lot where I bought mine did not have it.

I just took my 2020 ST in for service and mentioned I wanted this shield added. Service writer and I took a walk and the only ST on the lot didn't have it so he said he couldn't add it to mine. I just sent him the diagram from the top of this post and we shall see what happens from here. Has anyone else had an issue with getting these shields added?
James

I just took my 2020 ST in for service and mentioned I wanted this shield added. Service writer and I took a walk and the only ST on the lot didn't have it so he said he couldn't add it to mine. I just sent him the diagram from the top of this post and we shall see what happens from here. Has anyone else had an issue with getting these shields added?
James

Yeah my dealership were I bought it from said that ST is not suppose to have it. It sucks in hot ear under rear exhaust pipes. I went to another dealer when someone mentioned but they just told me to go back to the dealer from which I bought by car from. These shields are probably only for the XLT model with the smaller engine cause 99 percent of ST do not have it.

Yeah my dealership were I bought it from said that ST is not suppose to have it. It sucks in hot ear under rear exhaust pipes. I went to another dealer when someone mentioned but they just told me to go back to the dealer from which I bought by car from. These shields are probably only for the XLT model with the smaller engine cause 99 percent of ST do not have it.

My XLT didn't have it. Pretty sure Ford dropped the ball on parts and just shipped them without because 90% of the buyers wouldn't notice. When I bought my missing parts they were on national backorder...which means they probably were on backorder for the assembly plant too.

James

They just called me to tell me my explorer was ordered without the air shield so I wont be getting it..... #StupidAnswer

Many ST owners have had it added without charge as posted in this thread. My Aviator with the same engine as the ST has it. The dealer shouldn't be checking the vehicles on the lot but the build data which they should be able to access. This deflector as with some other parts seems to be 'hit or miss' item.

Peter

They just called me to tell me my explorer was ordered without the air shield so I wont be getting it..... #StupidAnswer
I haven't seen anywhere that this item is an option when ordering the Explorer. It is either a part of the build or it isn't. In you case, as with some others, it apparently wasn't.

Peter

Many ST owners have had it added without charge as posted in this thread. My Aviator with the same engine as the ST has it. The dealer shouldn't be checking the vehicles on the lot but the build data which they should be able to access. This deflector as with some other parts seems to be 'hit or miss' item.

Peter
He sent me snips of the build sheet showing "less underbody protection" and "Less Whl Arch liner/undertray" which I am assuming he is saying is this part.

He sent me snips of the build sheet showing "less underbody protection" and "Less Whl Arch liner/undertray" which I am assuming he is saying is this part.

hahah, I don't think even they know what part(s) are supposed to be called or on the vehicle. I assume parts/service was slammed with these requests and they are still learning. Well Everything has been documented if you want to buy/install your own, which is good, however the dealer is frustrating, which is understandable.

I went to my dealer when i found out i did not have it and they installed. No question asked.

hahah, I don't think even they know what part(s) are supposed to be called or on the vehicle. I assume parts/service was slammed with these requests and they are still learning. Well Everything has been documented if you want to buy/install your own, which is good, however the dealer is frustrating, which is understandable.

AGREE , Ford service SUCKS, they do not know what is supposed to be on the vehicle ! I am missing numerous parts and my service department does not have a clue. They will do some checking ? One thing they had to check on , which plant was my car built at......WTF...THE ONLY PLANT BULDING THE ST IS IN CHICAGO. The service manager is TOTALLY in the DARK. All this guy wants is a 10 on the service remarks as to the outstanding job they are doing.....BS ! As you say, I can go and buy the missing parts but I will not do that . I have a 2 year lease and in my mind this car belongs to Ford. I am just the care taker for 2 years. When the lease is up , GOOD-BYE ST AND FORD !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to my dealer when i found out i did not have it and they installed. No question asked.
I bought mine in December and soon after showed the service manager this thread. He ordered it and after backorder it arrived and was installed in early April. They did not give me a hard time but I had to followup personally with parts department and ask if it came in. After some looking around, they found it and the service advisor had it installed at my first oil change and rotation.

Back