• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Installation of Rear/Lower Air Deflector

Rossi6998

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Whittier, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Then I suggest you find a new dealer. Others are getting the part through their dealers (according to the thread). I guess it all depends how hard your dealer wants to keep your business. My dealer handled this issue, no questions asked! Just saying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
What I find confusing in this whole matter is that, according to posts, dealers are supposedly checking part lists by VIN on the ST and coming up with different answers.:confused:

Peter

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
What I find confusing in this whole matter is that, according to posts, dealers are supposedly checking part lists by VIN on the ST and coming up with different answers.:confused:

Peter
It could be a case of poor customer service from some of these dealerships. I went through the general manager by way of my salesman. They then had the parts manager order everything for me. The only thing they asked was for me to actually come in so they could check the ST themselves.

NEWPORTNJ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
St, Pk
I say. I am a Ford fan for 20 plus years , but since Ford has that new CEO James Hackett who's biggest accomplishment with his prior job was shipping the company to Mexico to save money. It's time for him and Bill Ford to move on and bring Allan Mulally who saved the Explorer and had Redesigned, he was also with Boeing and we see what has happened with Boeing lately since he left. Bill Ford with all do respect has to leave as well, if let's this continue.... Ford has to step up.

Hackett spent thirty years with the Grand Rapids-based office furniture company Steelcase. He joined Steelcase in 1981, holding a variety of sales and marketing positions. In 1994, Hackett was named CEO at age 39, making him the youngest leader in the history of the company. He held the position for nearly twenty years before retiring in 2014. During his tenure, Steelcase eliminated nearly 12,000 employees as part of a downsizing and restructuring of the business;[5] he also led the company to acquire a majority stake in IDEO in 1996.[6] During this time Hackett became a proponent of design thinking, which focuses on how humans experience a product.[6] Hackett stayed on as vice chairman of the company from 2014 to 2015.[5

Alan Mulally was hired by Boeing immediately out of college in 1969 as an engineer. He held a number of engineering and program management positions, making contributions to the Boeing 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 and Boeing 777projects. He led the cockpit design team on the 757/767 project. Its revolutionary design featured the first all-digital flight deck in a commercial aircraft, the second two-man crew for long range aircraft after the Airbus A300, and a common type rating for pilots on two different aircraft. He worked on the 777 program first as director of engineering and, from September 1992, as vice-president and general manager.[14]

He was later named as Vice President of Engineering for the commercial airplane group. He is known and recognized for elevating Phil Condit's "Working Together" philosophy through and beyond the 777 program. In 1994, Mulally was promoted to senior vice president of Airplane Development and was in charge of all airplane development activities, flight test operations, certification, and government technical liaison. In 1997, Mulally became the president of the Boeing Information, Space & Defense Systems and senior vice president.[15] He held this position until 1998 when he was made president of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, Chief Executive Officer duties were added in 2001.[14]

Last edited:

MW0103

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 XLT 202A
My guess is that there was some decision not to include these on some trims (at least the ST). Errors happen when everything goes down the same line. The STs that got a deflector were likely the mistakes. Like my 2012 Focus that had one LED tail light assembly from the Electric Focus and one standard tail light.

If it was a parts shortage issue like some have speculated, the cases of missing deflectors would be much more random (more evenly spread amongst trim levels). Because it seems like a very high percentage of XLTs have them and a very high percentage of STs do not--I’d say XLTs are supposed to get them for whatever reason (and ones that don’t are mistakes) and STs are not supposed to get them (and ones that do are mistakes).

Dealers don’t know any more than you or I do about what is supposed to be installed at the factory. The ones providing/installing the part are just doing it for perceived good customer service.

ClarkG

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
My guess is that there was some decision not to include these on some trims (at least the ST). Errors happen when everything goes down the same line. The STs that got a deflector were likely the mistakes. Like my 2012 Focus that had one LED tail light assembly from the Electric Focus and one standard tail light.

If it was a parts shortage issue like some have speculated, the cases of missing deflectors would be much more random (more evenly spread amongst trim levels). Because it seems like a very high percentage of XLTs have them and a very high percentage of STs do not--I’d say XLTs are supposed to get them for whatever reason (and ones that don’t are mistakes) and STs are not supposed to get them (and ones that do are mistakes).

Dealers don’t know any more than you or I do about what is supposed to be installed at the factory. The ones providing/installing the part are just doing it for perceived good customer service.
The Ford parts website very clearly says it’s applicable to ST variants. This also doesn’t explain the lack of the deflector on XLT or Platinum models (see other thread for images).

My engineering judgement leads me to believe Ford is short on these parts for one reason or the other (and getting shorter due to China production slowdown from COVID-19). Parts are prioritized to XLT and Limited models when they have them, then Platinum models, and then ST models (due to importance of fuel economy). These so called “build sheets” that some people claim their dealers are looking at can easily be modified on the assembly line under a deviation type scenario to make it look like the part doesn’t belong. Also, the bumper design on ST models wouldn't have all the holes drilled just for the heck of it since it would add cost on the manufacturing side.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
The Ford parts website very clearly says it’s applicable to ST variants. This also doesn’t explain the lack of the deflector on XLT or Platinum models (see other thread for images).

My engineering judgement leads me to believe Ford is short on these parts for one reason or the other (and getting shorter due to China production slowdown from COVID-19). Parts are prioritized to XLT and Limited models when they have them, then Platinum models, and then ST models (due to importance of fuel economy). These so called “build sheets” that some people claim their dealers are looking at can easily be modified on the assembly line under a deviation type scenario to make it look like the part doesn’t belong. Also, the bumper design on ST models wouldn't have all the holes drilled just for the heck of it since it would add cost on the manufacturing side.
I think MW0103 explained why some of the other trims are missing it. The fact is that by far and away it is the ST that doesn't have it. As for the bumper design, it is more cost effective to produce one design than two, even if the holes aren't to be used. This isn't anything new.
Until an actual Ford person/employee familiar with the manufacturing details speaks on this issue it is all speculation as this thread has proven.

Peter

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I think MW0103 explained why some of the other trims are missing it. The fact is that by far and away it is the ST that doesn't have it. As for the bumper design, it is more cost effective to produce one design than two, even if the holes aren't to be used. This isn't anything new.
Until an actual Ford person/employee familiar with the manufacturing details speaks on this issue it is all speculation as this thread has proven.

Peter
What data source are you using to base your far and away claim?

TMMST

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I decided to do the installation myself. The dealer would not cover this, since it was not on the original build data list. I am though getting reimbursed for the parts, please don’t ask how…

Have a Ford Dealer that is close
Be friends with a mechanic
Have Patience

Parts list:
HN5 Nut, already on the vehicle. Holds the heat shield

Parts to order:
<11778 deflector
HN1 C-Nut x 4, should come with the deflector. Make sure it faces up, nut towards the sky.
HS1 Bolt x 4 (P/N W5052745439). This may/or may not be correct. When it came in it was WAY too big. This is where mechanic friend comes in handy, he was able to find the right one in his toolbox. Sorry no P/N.
HM1 x 2 Plastic push pin (P/N W14040S300)

Remove HN5 x 4 10mm, place deflector in place, snug up the 4 nuts (HN5). The deflector should sit on top of the rear bumper, snug up HS1 x 4, 8mm. At this point I installed the HM1 x 2 plastic push pins, to help alignment. Tighten up the remaining hardware. I did HN5, then HS1, no specific torque value that I could find, so just snug.

Refer to attached pictures, and diagram under post: “Is this part (Air Deflector) missing…” it’s that simple, it took me less than 10 minuet’s to install, no ramps or special tools required.

Jeff

View attachment 177911

View attachment 177912

View attachment 177913
Did you notice any differences after the installation? I installed the deflector last night and I noticed that there seemed to be less road and wind noise during my ride in to work this morning.

northvibe

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
is gas mileage shooting up? ;)

I’ll check my xlt tonight and see if it has it. Build was in February 2020....

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
What data source are you using to base your far and away claim?
I thought I had answered this but perhaps I didn't hit the post button. In going through just 5 of the 12 pages on the subject thread, I found 19 ST, 1 Limited and 4 Platinums that were missing the defector.

Peter

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I thought I had answered this but perhaps I didn't hit the post button. In going through just 5 of the 12 pages on the subject thread, I found 19 ST, 1 Limited and 4 Platinums that were missing the defector.

Peter
Thanks Peter. Do you believe that this data set includes every owner of every Explorer sold for the 6th Gen? I highly doubt it does.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Thanks Peter. Do you believe that this data set includes every owner of every Explorer sold for the 6th Gen? I highly doubt it does.
Nope. Unless they are a Forum member, most owners are likely unaware of the defector at all.

Peter

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So I visited my local dealer that does all my servicing. This is not the one I took pics of and posted here prior. They had 11 on their lot, XLTs, Limiteds, platinum and STs. Not a single one had the deflector. There was a white XLT in the normal parking lot with plates on it and it HAD the deflector.

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So I visited my local dealer that does all my servicing. This is not the one I took pics of and posted here prior. They had 11 on their lot, XLTs, Limiteds, platinum and STs. Not a single one had the deflector. There was a white XLT in the normal parking lot with plates on it and it HAD the deflector.
It’s really looking like a supply issue. I think most of the early 6th Gen buyers in here bought STs and therefore, we had more posts about the ST. This in turn led some to declare that it shouldn’t be on the ST.

northvibe

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Ordered all the parts. I'll post up details when I do the install.

NEWPORTNJ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
St, Pk
I just received my tow hook. Now just waiting on the cover that goes over the strut mount.

Jack W

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Been working with my amazing dealer on the missing air deflector issue. This was apparently a running change in assembly, maybe a supply issue or? XLT & Limited trims should have gotten the deflector beginning 5/19 production. Platinum & ST weren't supposed to get the deflector til 8/19 builds - which partially accounts for the discrepancies noted in those posting dealer stock inspection results. No guarantee it will be there even when it's supposed to be. My vin bom showed the deflector as being installed (10/19 build), but it's not there. Dealer getting it for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk

Peter
Mine is missing. My servicing dealer graciously ordered it along with the missing tow eye. Interesting tidbit. There are no replacement tow eyes in any of the parts depots nationwide. My guess is that those available are going to the PIU vehicles.