Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

Just stopped by a local dealer and looked at 5 Explorers.

XLT

View attachment 177203

LIMITED

View attachment 177204

PLATINUM

View attachment 177205

ST

View attachment 177206

And the 5th one was a ST as well without it.

Looks like based on these 5 that the 3.0s dont get it and the 2.3s do. Not saying this is correct but that's the case with the 5 on this lot.

Doesn't the Platinum have the 3.0 just detuned a smidgen? It might have to do with aero performance. Ford Performance has guidelines on performance and areo before a car can have Ford Performance badging or name on it. Maybe the ST is supposed to get one that is slightly different and there will be a magic recall later for all ST owners to come get theirs. Or it created too much aero drag and they took it off but didn't update the parts catalog.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My ST does not have it and my dealer tells me it is not listed on the BOM from the factory for the ST. Don't know why.

My ST does not have it and my dealer tells me it is not listed on the BOM from the factory for the ST. Don't know why.

On another Ford forum, someone confirmed today their ST has it (they checked today) after posting about this issue.

On another Ford forum, someone confirmed today their ST has it (they checked today) after posting about this issue.

Did it have a street or performance pack?

Any one know if these deflectors are found on the Aviators as well as the Explorers?

Did it have a street or performance pack?

I will ask. But this may already help your theory. I have the Street pack and I don't have it. The 2 STs on the lot don't have either, just the normal 20" wheels and they didn't have it.

Did you look this up by vin or just year and model? Sometimes the part break down changes.

The basic Year, Model, Trim Search!
But I was originally searching for some kind of support missing for the rear bumper! because without the deflector the center section of the bumper becomes loose.

Any one know if these deflectors are found on the Aviators as well as the Explorers?
Yes, they are.

DSCN0123.JPG

Did you look this up by vin or just year and model? Sometimes the part break down changes.

I just now searched by my VIN and this is what came up.

air deflector
Part #: 7811778

ford_parts.svg

Usage: 08/19/2019, Explorer 2020-, 3.0L Nano-D4-G-GTDI-CD6R-PHEV, ST Version

Section: Air Deflectors Item is currently on back order. Contact Your Dealer to check on part availability.

Your Price:
$126.85
MSRP: $149.23

Was at dealer today with my ST. Air deflector is missing and they ordered one for me but it is on backorder, will call when it arrives. Crazy. Perhaps a service bulletin is out there or will be issued?

Thoughts on it being production date related? Factory ran out of the part during some time period, and due to all of the other QA issues causing supply constraints, the choice was made to ship without them?

After some research this is a production date item. XLT Version produced on/or after 05/06/19, Platinum, ST Version produced on/or after 08/19/19 have this as part of there build list.I don't have any other listing.

Simple breakdown, if your vehicle was manufactured before those dates the dealer "probably" will not order and install the part (11778). Its on you, cost is $145.00ish retail. If you vehicle was manufactured on/or after the date, your should be covered, provided you vehicle build sheet showed one should have been installed. This is a simple thing your dealer can lookup.
Jeff

After some research this is a production date item. XLT Version produced on/or after 05/06/19, Platinum, ST Version produced on/or after 08/19/19 have this as part of there build list.I don't have any other listing.

Simple breakdown, if your vehicle was manufactured before those dates the dealer "probably" will not order and install the part (11778). Its on you, cost is $145.00ish retail. If you vehicle was manufactured on/or after the date, your should be covered, provided you vehicle build sheet showed one should have been installed. This is a simple thing your dealer can lookup.
Jeff

Those that it is not on the BOM then complain to Ford and get a recall issued to get Ford to buy. Sounds like someone did some editing to get cars out vs car out correctly.

Those that it is not on the BOM then complain to Ford and get a recall issued to get Ford to buy. Sounds like someone did some editing to get cars out vs car out correctly.

Recalls are safety related only. There will be no recall on this.

Service bulletin perhaps?

Recalls are safety related only. There will be no recall on this.

Missing a rear air deflector that could allow wind in to degrade the rear bumper cover fasteners to the point of potential failure. Then that leads to it coming off while driving seems like a safety issue.

Just checked my Platinum, no defector.

TBill

I intend on filing a " Emergency Safety Warranty Request" with Ford, all they can say is no. Based on the following;
1 When Ford was doing there high speed testing there vehicle was equipped with the Deflector. This could cause a stability issue with the part missing. I can't prove how I know this, except my family works in Detroit.

2. It greatly decreases the stability if the rear bumper cover. It is solidly mounted to the bumper at the mid-point, but not at the lower point. This could cause fracturing of the cover, and parts breaking off. Yah, this is a stretch.

If this fails I may file a complaint with the NHTSA.

Last I'll purchase it myself. If you look under your truck, or the pictures, the missing part creates a giant sail that is probably not very good for gas millage.

don't forget, if you have points under "my rewards", you can apply this towards the purchase price.

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I contacted FMC today regarding this missing part, my build date was 6/25/19. I have been referred to the local dealer to resolve this issue. One way or another this part is getting installed. The bottom center of the rear bumper cover is very flexible without the air deflector.

TBill

Back