Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

It does look like the exhaust pipes hang lower toward the back from the pictures posted, wish I could look at one with one installed in person.

Just checked the part list on the website again and now they have updated it to include ST and Platinum. Hmmm.

Can you post a link to the part on the parts website?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a chat with FMC again today via computer. The individual I was working with indicated my vehicle, based on the VIN, did not have the air deflector in question in stalled at the factory because it was not suppose to be on the vehicle. Here is a snap shot of the computer conversation. Very interesting!
TBill

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 3.27.10 PM.png

I wish there was a way to find out from FMC what the heck the story with this part is.
TBill

Air Deflector | FordUS

Towards the bottom there is a dropdown box for <11778 that corresponds to the diagram.

Thank you. I can't get to the step with the dropdown. It asks me to input my vehicle year/model, then asks for my location or name of dealer, then takes me back to the main parts page.

But what you see says it fits the ST?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you check to see if you have the fuel filler funnel?

Peter
Yes, it is there but it was not in the “slot” that it sits in next to the spare, it had come out and was just laying in the well. I had to look for it as I first thought it was missing.

When you guys are referring to dealer for missing parts, do ya mean the dealer you bought your car from or your nearest dealer that you do your services at (if different)? I had a good deal from a dealer a lot further away than my local one and am wondering can I go to my local one or is it better to contact the one I bought my car from.

Thanks in advanced
I use the same dealer and have for the past 6 years for both sales and service, always had great customer service from them. Had a vehicle they acquired for me from another dealer because of color and options I wanted but had the front plate bracket, one of the selling points of the car for me was the front end. The body was so scratched up under the plate when they removed it they swapped out the entire front bumper. Nothing like watching the guy walk across the parking lot with an entirely new front bumper to put on your car. They could have said oh well you’ll have to live with the front plate bracket but they made me “the customer” happy, that’s why I stick with them.

I just did my own investigating on the dealer's lot. EVERY single XLT and Limited had the deflector. EVERY single ST and Platinum, i.e. 3.0 engine, quad exhaust-equipped, did NOT have any deflector, just bare steel panel between the exhausts. So they either should've never had them or the one specific to the ST/Platinum trim is not available/back-ordered currently. What do you all think?

I just did my own investigating on the dealer's lot. EVERY single XLT and Limited had the deflector. EVERY single ST and Platinum, i.e. 3.0 engine, quad exhaust-equipped, did NOT have any deflector, just bare steel panel between the exhausts. So they either should've never had them or the one specific to the ST/Platinum trim is not available/back-ordered currently. What do you all think?
I posted previously, but i went to a dealer on Saturday, one ST had it, and one ST didnt, both where exactly the same spec and MSRP, besides having a built date ~4-5 weeks apart.

But the Limited Explorer is dual exhaust.. So why will it have the air deflector and the ST/Plat is without, and the deflector will fit in that area under the ST/Plat.

Countless YouTube vlogs/reviews of the ST I have watched did not have the deflector. This is very confusing!

I use the same dealer and have for the past 6 years for both sales and service, always had great customer service from them. Had a vehicle they acquired for me from another dealer because of color and options I wanted but had the front plate bracket, one of the selling points of the car for me was the front end. The body was so scratched up under the plate when they removed it they swapped out the entire front bumper. Nothing like watching the guy walk across the parking lot with an entirely new front bumper to put on your car. They could have said oh well you’ll have to live with the front plate bracket but they made me “the customer” happy, that’s why I stick with them.

That's great that you have a great relationship with your dealer. Unfortunately my closest one was $3k more than a dealer 1 hour away. I'm just trying to see if I should reach out to the dealer I bought the car or any dealer is fine.

Countless YouTube vlogs/reviews of the ST I have watched did not have the deflector. This is very confusing!

I noticed this too, even auto show pictures don't have it. Occam's razor says it is not supposed to be installed.

I can't think of why it would make sense to not install it. It seems it would improve aerodynamics.

My ST was built on 10/7 and didn’t have the deflector. Went to dealer about 10 days ago and he agreed it was missing and they would handle it. Part came in yesterday and was installed today at no charge, all is good. Dealer said if anything is missing and not caught as it comes off the transport the dealer has to pay for whatever it is. He indicated they don’t check the underbody of everything they get in but will be checking Explorers going forward. Shame on Ford but know their still are good guy dealers out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My ST was built on 10/7 and didn’t have the deflector. Went to dealer about 10 days ago and he agreed it was missing and they would handle it. Part came in yesterday and was installed today at no charge, all is good. Dealer said if anything is missing and not caught as it comes off the transport the dealer has to pay for whatever it is. He indicated they don’t check the underbody of everything they get in but will be checking Explorers going forward. Shame on Ford but know their still are good guy dealers out there.

Can you post some photos of what your ST looks like with the deflector installed?

Back