Missing some parts,

catdaddy

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
new orleans,la
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
Do we " need " valve cover reinforcing plates ? If not is torque specs the same ? Using the rubber/plastic gaskets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need them if they were originally there :) The valve covers are thin steel and the plates help spread clamping force. On better setups, there's a thick steel plate that goes around the entire perimeter of the valve cover to spread the load better. Try and get some from a junkyard if you can. If you don't, I'd suggest a good bead of Permatex Black RTV which should help the uneven clamping force.

tks, lost 3 of them.....

What I would do then (only if you don't source new ones from a junkyard) is put them all on the driver's side and leave 3 missing on the passenger. To me, the passenger side is easier to get to. Then apply RTV on the passenger side and have the plates missing from the top of the cover. Any leaks should be down towards the bottom of the cover so having plates missing up top shouldn't matter as much.

What I would do then (only if you don't source new ones from a junkyard) is put them all on the driver's side and leave 3 missing on the passenger. To me, the passenger side is easier to get to. Then apply RTV on the passenger side and have the plates missing from the top of the cover. Any leaks should be down towards the bottom of the cover so having plates missing up top shouldn't matter as much.

novel idea.....

Back