Moab 2011 - May 21 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2011 - May 21

Moab Date - May 14th or the 21st 2011??

• May 14 2011

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Come along for an easy cruise with Ryan and I. We're planning on running scenic, not hardcore trails:thumbsup:

Brian - C'mon! You've got the cleanest 1st Gen Explorer ever! Come back and enjoy Moab! I've got an empty passenger seat if you want it.

You guys dont have to twist my arm too hard to come to Moab! Im still considering it. My Father would probably be coming with me. Thanks for the offer of riding in the 2nd cleanest 1st gen ever Paul :p:

Rick, that sounds fun. Good to know I would have a few others to tag along with. My plan would be to show up Friday afternoon and come home Monday morning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jack - Save a couple hundred miles and get yourself to Moab - - you will not regret it. . .

"Jonesing" hard for Moab! ! ! ! ! ! !

Paul
'91 Sport

Ya I would! Last time I was in Moab back in 07 did nothing to change my mind. Now I ain't sayin folks shouldn't go to Moab. I'd never tell folks what they should or should not like. Ya see I live in a town. And I been to plenty of other towns. When I go to Colorado or Utah it is to get out of town. Not go to another town. Now Moab ain't bad. If I'm going through the area it has a Wendy's to get a bite to eat. And a couple a campgrounds fer showers if ya need one. Fuel is not too bad either. And ice cream. Now thats bout as long as I want to stay in any town when I'm out that way.

Thing is I live out of my truck and dig cat holes when needed. That don't work well with all the folks they have around Moab. I'm disabled and cain't walk very far. So for me I like to park at my campsite. Just a few steps to a tree, rock, or other side of the truck to drop some water.

Now I'm Happy you folks like Moab and wish you all a great time there. Baskin Robbins made 31 flavors for a reason. Ya go in and pay your money, ya get what ya like. Back in the 90's the Moab flavor tasted ok to me. Not as good as some other places I like in Utah but it was a flavor I liked a bit. But it changed. They closed my favorite camping spot. Required porta poopers when camping close to Moab. Even numbered the campsites. No mater, there's plenty of places in Utah that have beter flavor for me. Always has been.

Ya'll take care and nothin but good wishes to ya.

Thanks for the compliment Paul! Same truck as last year, but with new skins. Hopefully I can follow your lines again this year. I think I know a certain trail we didn't finish last year that we should try again this year. Looking forward to seeing you all again.

I'm still in, but.............I can only make it for Sat and Sun and I'll be joining Rick and Ryan on the scenic trails in my '96 Ex. I spent 4 days wheeling the Toy in Moab last week and while it works great, it still has some issues that I don't have the time or $ to fix before this weekend. I don't want to sit out another Moab trip, so I figured I'll just hit some of the scenic trails I have never done. See everyone Sat morning at City Market.

Ya I would! Last time I was in Moab back in 07 did nothing to change my mind. Now Moab ain't bad. If I'm going through the area it has a Wendy's to get a bite to eat. And a couple a campgrounds fer showers if ya need one.

Now I'm Happy you folks like Moab and wish you all a great time there. Ya go in and pay your money, ya get what ya like. Back in the 90's the Moab flavor tasted ok to me. Not as good as some other places I like in Utah but it was a flavor I liked a bit. But it changed. They closed my favorite camping spot. Required porta poopers when camping close to Moab. Even numbered the campsites. No mater, there's plenty of places in Utah that have beter flavor for me. Always has been.

Ya'll take care and nothin but good wishes to ya.

Jack -

To each his own - - enjoy your Utah adventure; looking forward to your trip report and photos, no need to post pics of the cat holes. . .:p:

Mike - Glad you can make it back after just a few weeks, always inspired by your driving exploits, whatever the vehicle. . .

Well I need to post my official out of the trip message. Long story short I drove to Smoor for this weekends fun, only to arrive and not have 4wd. My t-case is screwed up so I am looking for another. Looking at an Atlas or a manual 1354. Anyone have a line on either let me know ASAP. Again I apologize for missing but I think we a crew setup for Labor day week trip out there.

Well I need to post my official out of the trip message. Long story short I drove to Smoor for this weekends fun, only to arrive and not have 4wd. My t-case is screwed up so I am looking for another. Looking at an Atlas or a manual 1354. Anyone have a line on either let me know ASAP. Again I apologize for missing but I think we a crew setup for Labor day week trip out there.

Chad - Sorry to hear, always next year (or Labor Day). Get the the Atlas II, best mod - - ever ! ! IMO. . .

Joe - How's about an "on the ground" weather report . . .?

Paul
'91 Sport

It is warm and overcast today , they are calling for t-storms Tuesday and Wednesday.

Picked up the Pumpkin from FST today. Had 5.13 gears installed and a few suspension bolts replaced for preventive maintenance. Truck is running great:bounce:

I'm sure glad I brought the rig to them 3 weeks ago and told them I needed it in two! After two weeks they said they needed to get a new o-ring from ARB because after reassembling the diff the front was leaking.

I was called late Friday and was told it was done and could pick it up any time. I walked in this morning at 9am (3 weeks to the day after I brought it in) and the boss looked at me like oh ****... he's here already.

I guess the diff cover was tweaked and had leaked a bunch of fluid over the weekend. That was no big deal, but... they completely forgot about replacing the lower control arm bolt which I asked them to replace and was on the service ticket. I reminded him and they got right on it - only he thought I meant the coil over bolt which attaches to the control arm, and not the bolt that attaches the lower control arm to the front axle.

So... I wasn't going to leave until it was all done. They had three guys working on it for 3 hours. Just after noon I loaded it up and was on my way.

That lower control arm to axle bolt is a ***** to replace. I've done it myself before and it took all my patience to get that thing replaced. I was glad to have them do it this time, I really didn't want to mess with it again.

Anyway, it's done!!!!!!!!!!!!:chug:

On the road. . .

PS. Great news Rick.

If you haven't left yet, pack warm clothing its been cold/rainy here all week.

Pheww... Thought I had a flat rear tire on the Dodge. Pulled the spare off the trailer, checked the pressure and it was only at 30 (should be 70):eek: Hadn't checked it in way too long. Got that taken care of, then I pulled the wheel cover on the Dodge and checked the pressure on the tire I thought was flat. It was just fine. It was just the way the truck was sitting that made it look low.

Glad it all worked out the way it did, or I may have ended up with a very under-inflated spare in a real emergency...

Ready to hit the road tomorrow morning! See ya soon!!

Well I fell off the fence and will be coming to this one. I will get in Friday afternoon. Looking forward to it!

Good to hear - - but don't come for the weather. . . Not so
great.

We had a good day today on the trails - - ran Poison Spider / Golden Spike / Gold Bar. Joe and John have already run Moab Rim and Kane Creek. Tomorrow looks like rain, but maybe Flat Iron Mesa and Metal Masher.

Good times. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

I have a few repairs to make in the morning before I can do anything more, not sure if I will make it to the market by 8:30

In Moab. No one's back to Canyonland's yet. I'm going to dinner at Moab Brewery in a few if I don't see anyone pull in.

Paul, I'm going to PM you with my cell #.

Have a beer for me Rick!

C'mon, where's the pics and updates?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update it's still raining and ugly... I think this is the first year it's been this wet.

Just about to leave to meet the group at City Market.

Back