MOAB II | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MOAB II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill, its a big small town. Dead Link Removed It has a nice City Market which is like a King Soopers/Krogers/Big grocery store. So there is a place to get food. There are other places to eat around there. I don't know if I remember seeing fast food or not though. But if you can handle a grocery store type of place that should work for ya.

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport Modified

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes there is a taco shop.
Taco Bell-225 S Main Street
Branding Iron Restaurant-2971 S Hwy 191
La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant-574 N Main Street
Rio Colorado Restaurant & Bar- 2 S 100 W

It isn't a very large town, but it is prepared for tourists.

I'll also be staying at Lion's Back Thursday evening, I think it would be a good idea to start a list of people who want to camp at Lion's Back so we can save enough spaces. I started a thread at Dead Link Removed

TC just called and said he's going to Moab.

This time next week we will sitting around a campfire.

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

Man whats up with everyone paying for a hotel room and then not using it? Dead Link Removed. Thats cool though, I look forward to a big group camping at lions back, love a good campfire with lots of attenders Dead Link Removed. I believe Paul bredenhoft said he was going to bring lots of firewood and I'm going to bring some as well, but please if you've got room, bring some... if we don't use it you can always sell it to other campers Dead Link Removed.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

Matt I'm way too cheap for that. If we decide to camp, I'll check out of Silver Sage early. If we are locked into paying for the whole weekend then I'll go back to the hotel Sat nite.

I'm still trying to work out staying Sunday nite anyway and I would be camping out for sure if I stay Sunday nite.

Gerald

Hey, I don't suppose any of you will be leaving denver for MOAB around 12 on thursday. A buddy of mine is coming into town and that is the only time he can get in. I will pay the gas of anyone that can give him a ride to Moab.

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

This time next week, I'll be somewhere between Omaha and Denver. Dead Link Removed I will have some good tunes, though (threw some Pioneer 6X8's in Wednesday night and they sound great).

The buttheads at work scheduled me to work 12 hours Tuesday, as one of my co-workers got called for jury duty. ARrrrrgh!! Oh well, at least they didn't cancel my vacation, but I was gonna use Tuesday to get everything set up for the trip. I guess I'll be packing the suitcase gradually over the weekend.

I'm getting really psyched now!!

I believe I will be in by noon Thursday. Either Thursday afternoon or sometime Friday I would like to take the 3 1/2 rated Porcupine Rim Trail. I want "Jeepeater" in this picture: Dead Link Removed

pr5.jpg

I need a trail buddy for the trip, and I want whoever takes the photo to tell the fat lady with the big thighs to move over out of the picture Dead Link Removed

Would anyone else be interested in going?

Gerald

PS: Matt, is this where you parked your Explorer, or was it somewhere else?

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 04-28-2000).]

no I parked mine actually on the Poison Spider Mesa trail... looks similar but there was much more "shrubbery" in my picture, that porcupine trail looks like its on the other side of the river too. Definately a good shot though... I'll go with you just so I can get a shot of "tippy" there Dead Link Removed.

Also Hix, I sent you an email, I am probably leaving Denver around noon so I can stroll into Moab while it's still slightly light out... so if he still needs a ride I might be able to accomodate, always looking for a way to save on gas money Dead Link Removed.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy" http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

[This message has been edited by mattadams (edited 04-28-2000).]

I'll go on Porcupine, it you do it Friday. I'm coming down on thursday, but wont be there until 7 probably 8 o'clock.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

Gerald,

I'm almost positive that photo is from Gold Bar Rim.

Jack and I drove Porcupine Rim it's entire length and that photo op wasn't there. There are some fabulous views of Castle Valley though.

Gerald,
I was thinking that if we had enough time on Saturday after doing Gemini Bridge that we could also do Gold Bar Rim since it's right there close to Gemini Bridge. I was also thinking about doing Gold Bar Rim on Friday as part of the scouting trip. What do you think?

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

I'd be almost willing to bet that just about everybody wants a photo op similar to this one. I know I do. I think that the whole group is going to be using each other's cameras to get these kind of shots.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

Hey Tom,
Ya wanna come with us Friday? That's where we're going? Dead Link Removed I just got Sandy a new digital camera so she can take lots of pictures, Bring a floppy.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Rick,

This picture is taken straight from the Moab link you have off the main page showing the different trails and their difficulties. It is Flatlander's report on Porcupine Rim

http://www.4x4now.com/pr.htm

and the photo is toward the bottom of the page. The outlook is called Picture Rock: "Toward the end of these spectacular views [Castle Valley] is "Picture Rock" where you can drive your 4X4 out over a 1,500 foot drop off and get pictures of it with the La Sal Mountains as the backdrop. After this there is one challenging sand hill that is complicated with larges pieces of rock mixed in with the sand."

I noticed Charles Wells' guide to Porcupine Rim doesn't mention this outstanding viewpoint but his description of the trail ends with a view that bikers call "High Anxiety". It may not be the same place though since the book says it is describing a "significantly shorter version [of Porcupine Rim] than that driven during the Easter Jeep Safari." I am trying to find out if this place is the same as High Anxiety; and if not, what the Easter Jeep Safari longer Porcupine Rim trail entails. I want very much to go there.

Ray, I want to go for this trail before Saturday since a decision seems to be gelling that we will be on Gemini Bridges Trail on Saturday because it is a good starting point and offers other trails as options after we finish it. But if you look at all those other trails, they are either way too easy to interest me, or they are named things like Metal Masher (which doesn't sound like the type of trail a stocker can go on), or Gold Bar Rim. So I figure Saturday must be a Gemini Bridges/Gold Bar Rim run. If we have time to pre-run Gold Bar Rim that's great but since we'll be hitting it Saturday anyway I'd prefer to do something different Thursday afternoon or Friday and Porcupine Rim is one that caught my eye.

It's just an idea. Seven Mile Rim is also right in the difficulty level I'm looking to freelance on before Saturday but it looks like it may be a little difficult to find and stay on the trail, and it's a five hour ride even if you don't get lost.

One other non-4 trail that no has mentioned that looks interesting to me is Top of the World: "Moderate difficulty. A rocky climb over several challenging ledges. Stock, high clearance vehicles can manage this trail, but careful tire placement is necessary.... A great trail for SUV owners ready for more challenge. Route finding is fairly easy. The trail culminates at one of the most dramatic overlooks in the Moab area."

Our stocker group looks like it's already set up for Gemini Bridges, Gold Bar Rim, and Elephant Hill on Saturday and Sunday. I'm looking to do something else before then.

If I get there noonish on Thursday and no one else is there or interested, then I can try to hook up with whomever is handy and try Top of the World. Then on Friday run Porcupine Rim with you & Matt & Dignan, and we'd still have time to prerun Gold Bar Rim Friday afternoon. How's that sound? Rob Gofast will also have arrived by Thursday afternoon or evening, but he's driving one of the big dogs now and may prefer to play with Rick on Friday, so I don't know if he'll be with us or not. Rob, what kind of trails are you planning now, or do you know yet?

Gerald

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 04-28-2000).]

Hi Gerald,
Since I have to lead the group on Saturday, I need to make sure everyone can make it up Gold Bar Rim, so I need to take care of business first by doing a prerun. Having never been there myself, I want to make sure I know where I'm going and I want to make sure the others can make it also. I don't want to waste their time and mine wondering around trying to find where I'm supposed to be. If I get us lost, we won't have time to do both, since we have to be back in Moab by 6:00 for dinner. I was planning on only going as far as waypoint 8 on Gemini Bridges, so we could have time to do Gold Bar Rim all the way to waypoint 7. Since you are tail gunning I thought we could work out the details and get a little time working together. If you want to do something else, that's ok by me. I'll take some one else. I just don't like the blind leading the blind type of thing. I want to know what's out there, where to stop for lunch, good places to take pictures and so forth. That's what makes it enjoyable for the rest of the group. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Hi Gerald,
Since I have to lead the group on Saturday, I need to make sure everyone can make it up Gold Bar Rim, so I need to take care of business first by doing a prerun. Having never been there myself, I want to make sure I know where I'm going and I want to make sure the others can make it also. I don't want to waste their time and mine wondering around trying to find where I'm supposed to be. If I get us lost, we won't have time to do both, since we have to be back in Moab by 6:00 for dinner. I was planning on only going as far as waypoint 8 on Gemini Bridges, so we could have time to do Gold Bar Rim all the way to waypoint 7. Since you are tail gunning I thought we could work out the details and get a little time working together. If you want to do something else, that's ok by me. I'll take some one else. I just don't like the blind leading the blind type of thing. I want to know what's out there, where to stop for lunch, good places to take pictures and so forth. That's what makes it enjoyable for the rest of the group. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Speaking of having to be back for dinner on Saturday, is there anything we need to be back for on Sunday? I'm leading on Sunday and hadn't even thought about that. The last time I went over Elephant Hill, we were finishing it in the dark. I plan on starting earlier this time, but will have to change plans a little if we have to back for dinner or something.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back