• Register Today It's free!

Modifying the James Duff Lift?

Swee294349

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4
I was wondering if anybody has or knows how to modify the 2.5" James Duff lift to 3.5". i have seen it in their catalog where they had it modified to 3.5" and i was wondering if somebody could tell me how i would go about doing this. i have emailed James Duff twice now but haven't gotten a response. i was wondering if this type of modification was any hassles or what. please email me if u know or heard of this type of mod.

Thanks

go get some front spacers for the front springs and then go to auto zone and get 8.5 inch shackles part #81400. Hope this helps

------------------
Ryan Jones
98 eddie baurer 4x4
2 inch lift
32x11.50 buckshots
manik brush gaurd and go rhino tail light gaurds
hella black majik driving light
jbl door speakers and kicker fifteen

92 explorer with two inches of lift
30x9.50 mud kings

mrjones98e@hotmail.com

I modified my JD lift to a 3.5" lift. For the front, as mentioned above, I used front coil spring spacers. There are several options here. Superlift makes spacers for the coil springs, or, as I did, you could have them machined. As for the rear, I redid the spring pack. I used a ranger pickup main leaf(for added flex), a full length Rough Country Add-a-Leaf, the two remaining explorer leafs, the JD Add-a-Leaf, and a removed overload(and the provided shackles). You could also bypass this and use the 8.5 inch shackles rather than the provided JD shackles. The auto-zone shackles as mentioned above, which if I am correct, are two bars per shackle without any center or lateral support. For offroad, this equals more flex, and for onroad, this equals instability.(If I am wrong about the Auto Zone shackles, please let me know). I have heard that Warrior Products produces a set of heavy duty 8.5" shackles though, which would be a good choice.
Hope that this helps a little, take care and happy exploring!

------------------
Todd Metzger
tmetz@umr.edu
'Off-Road and More!'
93 "Ford X 4" XLT

Back