More Edelbrock Install Notes - RUST!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More Edelbrock Install Notes - RUST!!

J

J Rosenberry

Just for a more rounded discussion on this- I had numerous problems because of the rust factor (Central Ohio). The front threaded lower shock mount stud (driver's side) twisted right off due to heavy rust. Drilled it out w/ a 3/8" bit, then tapped with 7/16 - 16(coarse) tap.
Also the Drivers-side lower rear bolt rusted solid to the nut, it twisted off as well. All the liquid wrench I added didn't help at all. Additional tools used were 3/8" Drill and bit, 7/16 tap, tap wrench, 7/16 s.s. 1" bolt, 2 fender washers. Also two 2.5"L 7/16 diam. bolts, nuts and washers for both lower rear shock mounts- the upper rear bolts, nuts and washers were provided in the Edelbrock package.
A thorough selection of sockets in metric and standard, including impact sockets were required to twist off the rusted bolts in my case, I didn't have any other means of "cutting" them off- no cutting torch or grinder, etc. Also used a 1/2" combination wrench on the upper rear shock mount nuts.

The final result after about 6 hours total, is fantastic. Jolting bumps are now nicely rounded off and much less body roll, the ride is extremely civilized. My ruling so far is that these are on-road shocks, although they would perform much better than stock in mild off-road situations, I'm sure.

I feel for you, really. I was lucky and only had one nut that was a **** to get off. It too was located on the top of the front shock. And, like you, there was a ton of rust on everything. I guess I was lucky it didn't glue itself together.

Back