more power with 347 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

more power with 347

I was searching around and reading more and more about the stroker kits for the 302. jtsmith was kind enough to lead me to a site

http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_347.htm

Currently with the many things i want to do, i decided to scrap the idea of buying a bike and use the money for a 347 stroker kit. From the above website, i see they sell the kits and imo for the power gains you get, its a good price. Now the issue is...which one do i get? street fighter or street fighter gt? Also what other things will i have to do? Will i need to take my block to get milled or what? ANy info on this will be great.

oh yeah, an average cost on the labor to do this would be great too ;)
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could get a shot of it, on my truck. However the unit they sent, looked like a shiny black version of the same thing I pulled off stock motor. Identical visually

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No repsonse from Coast High yet. If you could still get a picture that would be great.

Spdrcer34 said:
No need for a Forged Crank in a Stock Block, IMO.

By "stock block" do you mean stock engine block? Or do you mean stock shortblock???

Block construction is the least of anyones engine worries here. You will have to worry about your pistons, connecting rods, and crank long before you will have to worry about your block itself giving up the ghost. Now obviously if one of those above mentioned items were to break of course they could easily punch a hole through the side of the block, stock or not. A common misconception is people worry about the blocks themselves. Unless you going with a real serious setup (600+hp) you will not need to worry or even think about block casting/webbing design or metallurgy.

Im going to step in after doing some research and all and say im going to do a 331 instead of a 347. It wont happen for another year or so though.

I was commenting on a mild performance engine build. Forged Rods, Forged Pistons, Cast Crank in a stock block. No real reason to step up to a Forged or Billet Crank, if your still running a Stock Block. Main Webs will break before the crank goes.....and when the webs go, they usually don't go quietly, or softly.....so it's bye-bye crank too.....whether it's cast, forged or billet...

Ryan

Stock production 302 blocks have been know to split with thess than 500hp on many occasions. The blocks split right down the valley and main webs.

Agreed, however, a forged crank is not be necessary in a production block. Good rods / pistons are a must.

Cast steel cranks are usually good for 500hp. Forged I beam rods are good for 500hp H beams usually good for 600-750hp. Hypertectic pistons are good for 6000rpm. If your planning a power adder (NOS, supercharge or turbo) or plan on seeing 7000rpm often the go with forged pistons.

IMO cast crank I beam rods hyp pistons and a high torque cam would be perfect for an X. Even with the stock cam your probably looking to get 20-30 ft lb or maybe more.

Back