Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit

Thought I share my install currently underway. I am going slow and not rushing this as I want to get it right the first time. Started with the Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 Bi-xenon Projectors and graphite shrouds from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ and the Black Crystal Headlights from ebay.

I didn't realize how transparent the shrouds are so I painted the insides with aluminum engine paint to fix that.
IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

I am also installing the dummy alarm LED's in them to flash when the truck is off. I used one of the existing holes in the base of the projector's and angle drilled it to fit the LED.
Here you can see the hole.
IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

And with LED.
IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

I attached the LED's with the same Silicone II that is recommended to install the projectors.
Here is a test pic with the shrouds installed.
IMAG0082.jpg

My goal is to hook both sides up to one of the flashers so they will both be flashing in sync with each other. That is as far as I have gotten so far and will update as I go. Again I am taking my time on these, so I may not have anything til next weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your not swapping #4 and #5. Check out the trouble shooting at the bottom of your link. On plug #1, the big blue one, swap the orange and blue wires on that plug only.
EDIT
Okay, I guess swapping #4 and #5 is one of the options too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your not swapping #4 and #5. Check out the trouble shooting at the bottom of your link. On plug #1, the big blue one, swap the orange and blue wires on that plug only.
EDIT
Okay, I guess swapping #4 and #5 is one of the options too.

Alright, I'm going to head out there and try that ... in the snow. :mad: hahah

Does anyone know the pin layout of the 2nd Gen 9007 harness? I can only find the 1st Gen's 9006 harness. Maybe I didn't search hard enough.

EDIT -- nvm, ground is in the center.. I knew that.

That was gonna be my next thing is to make sure the plugs on the blue headlight plug are correct as well. Mine weren't on my kit.

That was gonna be my next thing is to make sure the plugs on the blue headlight plug are correct as well. Mine weren't on my kit.

I'm thinking THAT is my problem. I've got my #4 and #5 connectors reversed again (like you said above) and my high beams are backwards to each other... but at least I can switch between highs and lows.. lol

How did you go about pulling the pins out of the blue connector and swapping them? I'm going to try that next.

I have a little mini screw driver set that i bought from radio shack and used the mini flat head to release the little pins from the head light plug. You use the flat head to flip up the little metal clip that is flared out to lock the pin in. Come at it from the open end of the plug and if you look at each pin you can see a little slot under the pin to where you insert the flat head and you pry up and it should release the metal tab that flares out to keep the pin locked in. Then just pull the wire out from the back. Hope it helps.

I have a little mini screw driver set that i bought from radio shack and used the mini flat head to release the little pins from the head light plug. You use the flat head to flip up the little metal clip that is flared out to lock the pin in. Come at it from the open end of the plug and if you look at each pin you can see a little slot under the pin to where you insert the flat head and you pry up and it should release the metal tab that flares out to keep the pin locked in. Then just pull the wire out from the back. Hope it helps.

Got it. They work just fine now..

Here's a teaser iPhone picture

5IYlGl.jpg

I had a little fog on the bottom of the lenses and in the top corner of the turn signal markers... I assume that's because I put them in while it was snowing outside :(

Damn. Looking GOOD!!!!!

Lights work like they are supposed to?

:thumbsup:
Looks good with the factory marker lights. Still thinking what to do with my markers. Not liking the bare bulbs in the black housings.

:thumbsup:
Looks good with the factory marker lights. Still thinking what to do with my markers. Not liking the bare bulbs in the black housings.

*cough*LEDS*cough*

Alrighty sorry for the couple day wait but here's a better picture of my retrofit.

eer3Wl.jpg

aTRypl.jpg

Originally when I installed them both the headlights and corner markers had fog in them, but the heat from the halogen blinkers has since dried out the markers. The HID's won't heat up as much as the halogens and dry the fog out of the headlights though. I'm wondering if holding a hair dryer on the lenses for a few minutes one day will dry them out. I definitely don't want to pull it all out and air dry them ughh :(

Alrighty sorry for the couple day wait but here's a better picture of my retrofit.

Originally when I installed them both the headlights and corner markers had fog in them, but the heat from the halogen blinkers has since dried out the markers. The HID's won't heat up as much as the halogens and dry the fog out of the headlights though. I'm wondering if holding a hair dryer on the lenses for a few minutes one day will dry them out. I definitely don't want to pull it all out and air dry them ughh :(

Since the projector is an open design, you MIGHT get lucky by leaving the bulb out for a little bit, no promises there though. The better thing to do would be take the housing out, take the bulb out, and sit it inside overnight to let it equalize.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 504

:chug: LED's as requested.

Okay, it looks like LED's it is. Thanks for the pic. From the close up shot earlier, it looks like they are just forward facing LED's. Is that right?

Okay, it looks like LED's it is. Thanks for the pic. From the close up shot earlier, it looks like they are just forward facing LED's. Is that right?

Yes, the turn signals are forward facing and side facing as well. The parking lights are forward facing and are smaller bulbs. 914 if I remember correctly. I'd have to look to be certain. Ill take a pic in a bit.

Man I'm glad that I read this thread before the pics disappeared. It helped me to start my retrofit, although TRS has really changed their Morimoto Mini kit since 2012. Especially the projector shroud, which no longer fits into our truck's headlights without some trimming. Either way, this thread was a good start. I love my hid projectors and I'm never going back to halogens again.

Back