Most effective way to make this accept fender flare? Body work... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Most effective way to make this accept fender flare? Body work...

I'm wondering what the best method can be with making this crumple look a little better, and to accept the fender flare. As you can see the tailgate doesn't close all the way. I know the rule, "bend it back the way it came". In this case, this was back in 2010 when the owner lost control in snow and ran into a guard rail in the rear quarters. Any ideas, tips, or anything is appreciated!!
Thanks
114_9995_zpsfc9964f1.jpg

]
114_9996_zps699c7f90.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

let me see a back view.
Facing the hatch and tail light.

Couldn't get a very good one because the Explorer is backed up to the fence, and it has no tranny right now...cannot move it...-_-
Here is a better overview...hope it helps a little...
115_0003_zps00b1c30e.jpg

115_0002_zps4fff2cb6.jpg

115_0001_zps5fd78dba.jpg

FYI, the bumper has been replaced since the wreck, it was bent in a little. I've also hammered a bit on the inside of the hatch pin.

Ideas?
Thanks

MONMIX? Tips?

Ugh.
Thats a ugly hit.

First and foremost ( and perhaps only ) lets get the lift gate opening and closing.

Open the lift gate and remove the tail light. Get a BFH and a short 2X4. Place the 2X4 flat on the part of the quarter panel just below the tail light. (its the part you can see the lift gate hitting.
Give it a good healthy whack. It might take a few tries. Keep hitting it until the gate opens and closes and your gap is acceptable.

let me know when you get that and then we will try to figure out if we can get that side where it belongs so we could get a flare on there.

Ugh.
Thats a ugly hit.

First and foremost ( and perhaps only ) lets get the lift gate opening and closing.

Open the lift gate and remove the tail light. Get a BFH and a short 2X4. Place the 2X4 flat on the part of the quarter panel just below the tail light. (its the part you can see the lift gate hitting.
Give it a good healthy whack. It might take a few tries. Keep hitting it until the gate opens and closes and your gap is acceptable.
Appreciate the tip. See picture # 3. The tailgate isn't closing correctly because of the receiver. The tail gate isn't touching that bent part, though, it does need to come in anywho. Will let you know when I get this done and we'll go from there.
Thanks...will get back to you

HEY MONMIX!!!
I fixed it. I started out doing what you said, then bent the metal edging back to 90 degrees with opliers. LMK wht you think!

118_6799_zps09cd777b.jpg

118_6800_zps5a91ea9c.jpg

118_6802_zps57b3c3fb.jpg

118_6801_zps9467a167.jpg

not the prettiest thing I have even seen for its effective.
Good work.
:thumbsup:

Thanks.
I will be using some touchup paint to cover some of the crap areas. If it were a 2006 ex, I might have had it done proffesionaly. But lets be honest, this Ex has 197k, and is worth about 2500 tops. (IMO)

Back