• Register Today It's free!

Motor Swap Questions

Ashton King

Reaction score
City, State
LOCO
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer Nbx
Hello fellas (and ladies if you are on here) my 04 Explorer with the 4.0 8th digit K spun a bearing. I guess my question is could I swap it out with an 04 4.0 motor with the 8th digit E. I have hard a finding a forum with answers I am seeking, I'm sure it out there so if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Ashton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the short answer is “yes.” You will need to swap over all the components from your engine to the “new” engine. Maybe just injectors etc, but perhaps there’s are some sensor variances as well.

Okay I am assuming that I will need to take the computer as well seeing as one is direct injection. Any know how on how I would wire that up??

Thanks for any help given

Keep your computer, fuel rails, injectors etc.
You have a flex fuel car and need to keep your fuel related items to put on the donor motor.

Do some Googling of “Explorer 4.0 flex fuel engine swap.” Lots of info out there, just have to find the posts that have relevant info. From what I see, it’s fuel rail and injectors.

Back