• Register Today It's free!

Muffler

androofoo

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
im considering on installing a flowmaster for my 2002 4.6L V8. a flowmaster 50 series that is.. if u guys have any suggestions or recomendations to toss at me please do so.

and anyone know the pipe diameter size for my truck? sankyoo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it's the same as other explorers, 2.25" is stock piping and 2.5" is max that you'll want to go before losing power. A flowmaster 40 series is the "loudest", but if you just want a nice tone and good performance than the 50 is great

-Drew

Yes, the Delta's are noticably more quiet at highway speeds. The drone at highway speed without the Delta will get old very soon if you do any long distance driving.

just put the flowmaster 50 SUV muffler on my 2004 4.0. Sounds good and not loud inside the cabin. there is a difference between the 50 and suv 50.

If you check the flowmaster muffler website they show a chart with the exterior and interior sound levels and the 50 Delta is very very close to the 50 SUV but the 50 Delta is quite a bit cheaper in price at the muffler places that I checked. Here's the link to the comparisons:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

okay. 50 series suv or delta? i prefer delta cause its louder, but i also want the suv cause of performance.

and will my 4.6 be a bit louder than the 4.0?

androofoo said:
okay. 50 series suv or delta? i prefer delta cause its louder, but i also want the suv cause of performance.

and will my 4.6 be a bit louder than the 4.0?

I have the 40. It is Loud. Can hear it from inside my house. My wife knows when I am home. (Not sure if that is a good thing)

androofoo said:
okay. 50 series suv or delta?

I'm having this same debate right now... can someone sway me one way or the other?

I can't deal with high levels of interior drone.. so I guess that would be the deciding factor to me

yeah, i'm looking into a flowmaster also. I'm pretty much looking for a good sounding one to make my 2002 Sport sound a bit better. And whats the real difference between the 50 series. I know theres delta, SUV and standard, but which one does what better?

- FFXREbel56

For my '04 what type of offset muffler do I need? I want to order the muffler online and take it to a shop. Is it offset/center?

ExplorerDMB said:
2.25" is stock piping and 2.5" is max that you'll want to go before losing power.

-Drew

I'm not sure if what you mean buy that comment....putting 2.5" cat back on a stang nets more HP..... not dogging ya just wondering if your speaking from experience???

redlineunlimitd said:
I'm not sure if what you mean buy that comment....putting 2.5" cat back on a stang nets more HP..... not dogging ya just wondering if your speaking from experience???

Most likely he is assuming its for a 4.0 V6 Explorer. The 4.6 V8's like the dual 2.5" exhausts a lot.

slugmike said:
For my '04 what type of offset muffler do I need? I want to order the muffler online and take it to a shop. Is it offset/center?

Anyone know the answer to this for sure? I heard 2.25" ofset in, center out. Is this correct?

Back