• Register Today It's free!

mufflers

pfeffer1728

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
im taking off my stock muffler and putting on a flowmaster 50 series suv tomorrow. if anyone has done this with this or any other muffler (dual in single out)...could you tell me if you were able to use the stock pipes, and if you had to put any other pieces of pipe in to make it fit right. i want to know what im getting into before i gut the old muffler out. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any good muff shop can either expand or adapt the muffler to fit your stock piping very easily.

pfeffer1728 said:
but im doing it myself

Sounds MUCH easier said than done. Bite the bullet and pay a shop to do it right. Won't cost that much. I had a SUV 50 series muffler installed in addition to having new 2.5" pipes bent from the cats back and a tip installed for $150 CAD. Simply getting a muffler cut out and the new one welded in should cost little if you find a decent shop not bent (pun not intended) on gouging you.

I agree with the others to just have a shop do it. If you absolutely don't want to, you could go to Pep Boys (or the like) and look for something like this:

A5254.jpg

I know I've seen parts like this at the Pep Boys or Autozone by me. Then you'll need to find some exhaust clamps to keep it from having any leaks.

i appreciate the info guys but im gonna try it myself. a buddy of mine can weld pretty well so we're gonna do it that way. the muffler is the perfect size so i dont think ill have to put in any extension pipe. ill let you guys know how it goes ill be sure to take pictures and stuff.

You didn't mention anything about having access to welding etc or the dimensions of the muffler. Good luck!

aldive said:
1.5"????????

Typo corrected.

Actually, I read that you'll get 50 mpg if you reduce your pipes to that size so I thought I'd beat you to punch. :p

pfeffer, are you 4.0 or 5.0?
let us know how the install goes and how it sounds!

Would also like to know how it goes.

Indeed.... the 98s often have a b@st@rd inlet on the muffler: One clamped, one flanged. You'll have a lot of fun trying to adapt the muffler inlets without a flanger.

I had a muffler shop do my install. (50 series Perf/SUV) They installed a flange on the one inlet, cut the bracket that holds the pipes from the cats to spread them out a bit, welded the new muffler to the old hanger, then stretched an adapter to neck the outlet back down to the OEM tailpipe. Length-wise, it was a perfect fit with the adapter for the OEM tailpipe.

Also, if you're bending new pipes from the muffler back, INSTALL A RESONATOR!!! Without it, you'll get a drone on the freeway. The general consensus from those of us that have re-used the OEM tailpipe, or bent custom ones is that if you use a resonator, you are FAR less likely to have any droning issues.

FWIW, on the stock pipe, I get a *slight* drone at 80-82. As long as I stay under 80 or above 82, it's not much louder than stock, and I can barely hear it over the road and wind noise.

-Joe

Dont get a 50 series, i have it on my 98 sport and at high rpms it sounds like a ricer but at low rpms it sounds good. I would personally go with a super 40 because it has low end pretty much all the time.

i have 4.0, im not sure ill get it done til after i get back from my trip (all next week), but ill take pictures, try to get a sound clip, and post it all whenever i get it done.

I had a SUV 50 Series on my old SOHC equipped Sport and wasn't happy with it until I installed an aftermarket resonator into the system.

the stock setup has a resonator after the muffler doesnt it? on my 98 it has something after the muffler, im guessing thats what it is

pfeffer1728 said:
the stock setup has a resonator after the muffler doesnt it? on my 98 it has something after the muffler, im guessing thats what it is

True. I forgot you're not going with aftermarket pipes. For what it's worth, I installed a Magnaflow into the stock pipes and it sounded like crap, even with stock resonator. Droned like crazy and sounded ricey at times and was horrible on the highway. OK, not same muffler, but simply shoving an aftermarket muffler into stock pipes and resonator may not yield the results you want. After about 3 weeks with the Magnaflow, I yanked it out, scored a Flowmaster SUV 50, and got new pipes put in (they also yanked the OEM resonator). Sounded way better than the Magnaflow in the stock pipes, but over time the cabin drone bugged me so I went with a resonator.

Something to keep in mind is that I had the two door. It's 10" shorter than your 4 door and from what I've read, the 2 door reacts differently to an exhaust change than the 4 door. You may very well be pleased with your results. What sounds great to one person may sound crap to another. As long as you're pleased, that's all that matters. As before, good luck with the change and let us know what you think when you do the deed.

pfeffer1728 said:

Indeed, the stock pipe has a resonator in it.

True the 4-door has a longer tailpipe. That extra 10" of tailpipe also helps cut down on the resonance as well, but it'll still drone without the resonator.

Through trial and error, the members on here have found that the Flow 50 perf/SUV with a resonator works well and sounds great on the SOHC. Without a resonator, it will drone and sound buzzy.

-Joe

yeah im well aware of all these things. i got a soundclip of someone with the set up im going to do (4 door, resonator, stock pipes, etc.) and it sounded great. i think it was madmike, but don't quote me on that. a buddy of mine has a magnaflow full system from the headers back, and it does not sound good. but maybe thats because its on a 4cyl tacoma. anyway, ive decided on what im doing, and now its just finding the time to get it done. ill let you know when i do. thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back