Mustang SOHC engine swap coming... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang SOHC engine swap coming...

Looks like you havent posted on this in a while and I was wondering if you have ditched this swap or whats going on with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, here is what I have found so far...it seems that the '05 and newer Mustangs do use a balance shaft...the same engines that drop into the X are also dropped into the Mustang...I managed to find this web site with some great info on gears chains and revisions...you will need to scroll down a bit to the 4.0 SOHC section...there are 2 areas, one for the 97-02 and one for 03-08...in the second 4.0 you will see the Mustang listed right next to the Explorer which indicates that it uses the balance shaft like the X...so at this time I am feeling more confident about doing this swap...I am still doing more research...I would like to find some cam profile info too, just to see what the Mustang is using compared to the X.

http://www.rpmrons.com/fordtiming.html

Dave

Only the manual shift has the balance shaft!

Also there is no balance shaft in Ranger's even if they are 4x4's!

I think the balance shaft is a trivial subject now, after 13 years of production. I would treat the balance shaft as another part to service, I'd rather not have it. Buy an engine without considering the balance shaft, choose one without it if given a choice.

well I have been one of the guys reading this and I just finished this project I put a 2006 mustang 4.0 sohc engine into a 1998 explorer I used the whole long block from mustang from oil pan to heads I used old intake injectors and valve covers swapped oil baffle for pcv system that was hardest I had to knock out rear block plug under intake for baffle also changed flywheel was different but bolt pattern is the same on crank used mustang timing cover cmp sensor and damper from mustang turned ket it sarted right up I have put almost 500 miles on it so far it runs great I have a slight bucking at highway speeds Im just starting to look into this but its just minor problem maybe EGR concern like posibly too much flow so it may have been there prior to engine blowing up Im unsure or this since I got it not running I will keep updating this trend I hope this helps someone who has been looking for info on this like me . PS; no timing chain noises here!!!!

Very nice, and thanks for the input. Did you by chance take any pictures, say of the baffle/plug in the intake valley of the block you mentioned? Regards,

no i did not but its not that complicated it came right out i actually got a new one it was only 20 bucks from the dealer but mine came right out the freeze out plug as i said was the hardest part i drilled into but not threw it then used an awl to punch threw the plug then twisted it out if you hit it straight threw it will drop int block it has to be twisted out also this plug appears to be stainless steel.

Nice to hear some input on this. So I'm assuming the motor mounts were the same also?

i used just the block and heads all bolt on parts are from explorer all mounting bosses were the same some holes had to be tapped to clean holes threads were there but rusty from not being used

That's great, quite a few people are going to find this useful information in the future, what great posts for being your 2nd and 3rd after being a member for so long.

just goes to show you never know who's out here

truck still running excellent

I as well have recently completed the mustang 4.0 SOHC swap. I have put about 4000 miles on mine since installed. I have a 2001 2wd Explorer sport manual trans and installed a 2006 4.0 SOHC mustang longblock from an automatic.
I changed out all the front accessories, intake, fuel injectors/rail, wiring, exhaust manifolds. I saw some people mention the oil pans were different, I compared and they looked identical so I am using the Mustangs.

i too used everything i also used the water pump off the mustang just cleaned up the threads on shaft. do you feel any driveability issues?

No driveability issues whatsoever. It drives like brand new and quiet as can be. I got my motor from Mustang Parts Specialties in Georgia for about $800 just for more helpful information. They are very helpful and easy to deal with down there.

www.mpsautosalvage.com

camshaft differences?

Did either or you detect any differences in the Mustang vs Explorer engine performance? It seems odd to me that Ford would use the Explorer camshafts in the Mustang. I would have expected the Mustang to have a higher rpm power band.

I would have expected the cams to be different as well but after driving the two I cannot tell a difference in torque or where the powerband comes on in the rpm range.

the cams lift and duration is exactly the same on both engines i speced this out prior to swap only difference was the cc's of cyl head and it was only 2 cc difference with a = or - 2 cc otherwise they are exactly the same
P.S. This is way too much work to be unsure about the differences.So I did my homework!

I had a feeling the motor would be the same specs as the truck version since the v6 mustang was more of a fleet vehicle and a car for the crowd that didn't want a lot of horsepower.

Not conclusive, but there is a listing for a balance shaft on the fordparts.com site on the mustang with automatic.
6A311
Engine Balance Shaft
4.0L V6 12V Single Over Head Cam EFI Automatic Transmission $273.15 Select a dealer for their prices and availability.
and for the manual
6A311B
Engine Balance Shaft
4.0L V6 12V Single Over Head Cam EFI Manual Transmission $452.82 Select a dealer for their prices and availability.

rydrew55

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I as well have recently completed the mustang 4.0 SOHC swap. I have put about 4000 miles on mine since installed. I have a 2001 2wd Explorer sport manual trans and installed a 2006 4.0 SOHC mustang longblock from an automatic.
I changed out all the front accessories, intake, fuel injectors/rail, wiring, exhaust manifolds. I saw some people mention the oil pans were different, I compared and they looked identical so I am using the Mustangs.

To Stansteeda, and mr2fix2it
I have found my engine, but wanted to ask a couple questions before I put down the $.
1. No mount issues? the Mustang motor fits right on the explorer mounts?
2. flexplate (flywheel). You used the ex?
-bolted right up to the mustang crank?
-Bolted right up to the torque converter?
3. You did not mention the valve covers? Mustang or ex?
4. oil bafle / pcv. Why not use the ex? why did you need to buy it?

It would really be nice to hear one more time that this is the way to go and I won't regret it. There are lots more mustang motors out there.

I'd appreciate any more you could add.

Thanks,
rydrew55

Back