97 to 99 SOHC Engine Swap problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 to 99 SOHC Engine Swap problems

Shaun123

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT SOHC V6 4.0 RWD
First i would like to start out by saying sorry for my bad english i live in puerto rico and im not too good at typing english.

I have had my explorer in my garange for 2 years was having money problems but now im back on track and decided to work on it again :thumbsup:

i was having alot of problems with the engine and to what i remember for the price of the parts i purchased the whole engine so me and my friend started to do the swap our first problem was the sensors and or cables im not shure if the 97 wiring has less or more connectors but eventually i had to use the wire hardness that came with the car and not the one with the newer engine

got evrything connect dident think we would have a problem tryed to start it up took some time we was pondering what was wrong with it cause it wouldent start and we finally figured out i had to fuel pump switched off so i turn it back on start it up and it works fine :D started to give it some gass and let it idle and it shutdown and wont stay on for long tryed to solve the problem got nowhere fast

took it to a real mecanic he had it there for 3 weeks and he dident even work on it so i went in searcg for a new mecanic today and left it there he dident have much time to check it cause he was closing the shop but acording to him he thinks it has something to do with a cam censor or something he said to pull it off the old engine and bring it to him.

anyone have any idea on what actually changes from the 97 to 99 engine? that would help us out alot.

i have about 1,000$ set aside to get my suv running again hopefully that will allso cover a new rug and tints :) and have spare money left over to eat :D

since i had alot of money invested into a music system and it was all stolen there is really no sence in puthing more money into music where i live. so i have decided to turbo my explorer i knew afew people that put a turbo system in there explorer on this forum but i cant find them in the search anyone have a list of parts and name brands of a complete turbo kit that i could put together im thinking something along the lines of 8psi not too much boost im more for the turbo sound then the power ;)

to make this really easy on yourself, use the intakes, sensors, wiring, manifolds, everything but the block and heads from your 97 engine, there are a few changes in the 99 engine that will cause you problems

Whenever I do a conversion /replacement like this (I do alot) I strip both engines down to just the lower intake, drop it in the truck, then start swapping parts from the old engine onto the new engine , this ensures it goes back into the truck it came from without conflict

to make this really easy on yourself, use the intakes, sensors, wiring, manifolds, everything but the block and heads from your 97 engine, there are a few changes in the 99 engine that will cause you problems

Whenever I do a conversion /replacement like this (I do alot) I strip both engines down to just the lower intake, drop it in the truck, then start swapping parts from the old engine onto the new engine , this ensures it goes back into the truck it came from without conflict

The problem with that is when i striped down the 97 engine it was 2 years ago and recently i put the new engine in so i have no idea what was what what engine had what sencors and what not... so that may be a big problem we are shure evrything is connect how its supose to when we put it all back but that dont mean its compatible how its supose to be we may have something that is not needed from the other engine if that makes any sence and that is why i took it to a real mecanic lol just trying to make it eassyer on him and saving me some money

Back