Mustang SOHC engine swap coming... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang SOHC engine swap coming...

Well I got the motor late today but I was replacing a watrer pump from hell at the end of the day so I didn't get to start on this. I am hoping to swap everything over tomorrow and hopefully get it in the truck by then too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I ran into a little snag today. My fly wheel will not bolt up to the Mustang motor. There isn't enough room between the block and fly wheel. Has anyone else ran into this problem?? I am hoping that and Auto Mustang fly wheel will remedy the problem but then I am concerned with it bolting to the transmission.

Clarification

I think you're saying that you have a flexplate (since the Explorer SOHC didn't come with a manual transmission) and you purchased a 2007 Mustang with a flywheel. You removed the flywheel and tried to bolt up the flexplate but it wouldn't fit (too large in diameter to fit within the block).
In looking at parts on Tousley Ford's data base there's a possibility that there was a flywheel, starter, and torque converter change as of 12/13/06.

I think you're saying that you have a flexplate (since the Explorer SOHC didn't come with a manual transmission) and you purchased a 2007 Mustang with a flywheel. You removed the flywheel and tried to bolt up the flexplate but it wouldn't fit (too large in diameter to fit within the block).
In looking at parts on Tousley Ford's data base there's a possibility that there was a flywheel, starter, and torque converter change as of 12/13/06.

Yes, I tried to bolt the flex plate to the Mustang motor and it won't work, not enough space. The bolts line up but the flex plate is flat against the block. I am going to try an Auto flex plate from a Mustang or maybe have a machine shop make me a small spacer but if I go that route I am worried that I may get vibration at acceleration.

Is your crankshaft an 8 bolt setup?

When you pulled the flexplate/flywheel off of your new engine I take it there was not a round spacer between the engine crankshaft and the flexplate/flywheel?

There is one the current engine and you might need to use the one from your old engine or get a replacement spacer for the new engine...I am looking for a picture of the spacer and will post it when I find it...

When you pulled the flexplate/flywheel off of your new engine I take it there was not a round spacer between the engine crankshaft and the flexplate/flywheel?

There is on the current engine and you might need to use the one from your old engine or get a replacement spacer for the new engine...I am looking for a picture of the spacer and will post it when I find it...

I know what you're talking about but it didn't look like a spacer it looked like it was part of the crank.

If you can find pics I would appreciate it.

There is on the current engine and you might need to use the one from your old engine or get a replacement spacer for the new engine...I am looking for a picture of the spacer and will post it when I find it...

I took pics on my phone and I just looked at them it, does look like a spacer of some sort. So you're saying that is not part of the crank and I should be able to remove it??

Spacer

OK, I finally understand the problem. As Ranger7ltr stated there should have been a spacer on the engine side of your Explorer flexplate. It may be stuck to the crankshaft. The flywheel is thicker than the flexplate so the spacer makes up the difference. The photo below shows the spacer on top of the engine side of the flexplate.
Spacer.jpg

Picture of spacer...

This is a seperate piece...Or it was on my engine...And this is what goes between the back of the crank and the front of the flexplate...

I hope this helps you...And depending on the year, the spacer will have either 6 bolt holes or 8 bolt holes...Or this is also the seat for the torque convertor pilot as well...

Attachments

• 5r55e spacer.jpg
    5r55e spacer.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,048

oldmotor.jpg
newmotor.jpg

I see what you're talking about, I thought it was part of the crank, I feel stupid because I could have had this almost done today.

Looks like you are just missing the link in-between...

No need to feel that way...Unless you have done this before, a spacer there is the last thing anyone would expect...

Just don't forget to locktite the bolts in place when you tighten them up...So you don't have to go back in and tighten them up again...

Well just an update the motor runs nicely, very smooth idle. I haven't driven it much because it was taken off the road but I think I am going to register it again this week. My only delay was trying to locate a passenger side exhaust manifold which I finally found and had it shipped to me. The only issue I ran into was not switching the alternator bracket from my motor over to the new motor one of the back bolts will not line up but I need a new alternator so I am going to pick up a Mustang alternator and see if that works out.

Put about 3500 miles on since the swap and she runs perfectly.

Im up to over 9,000 MILES also runs great no troubles at all!

Some before and after pics of my Explorer. Not bad for a truck that took a swim.

016.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg
ex.jpg

008.jpg

ex1.jpg

ex4.jpg

ex6.jpg

I have been thinking about this swap for a LONGGGGGGGGGGGG time. My motor has 150,000 miles on it but its running fine. Ive been torn between 3 engine options. 1-{ The V8 from the Explorer Sport Trac} 2-{ The Mustang motor} or 3-{ Put a Supercharger on my Engine}. Ive been trying to consider Labor intensity and cost cost cost. If anyone has any ideas, it would be realllllllllly helpful! Thanks soooo much!

I have been thinking about this swap for a LONGGGGGGGGGGGG time. My motor has 150,000 miles on it but its running fine. Ive been torn between 3 engine options. 1-{ The V8 from the Explorer Sport Trac} 2-{ The Mustang motor} or 3-{ Put a Supercharger on my Engine}. Ive been trying to consider Labor intensity and cost cost cost. If anyone has any ideas, it would be realllllllllly helpful! Thanks soooo much!

I also thought about doing the 5.0 swap into my Explorer but I needed my truck running sooner than later so I figured the Mustang SOHC was the quickest way. Not once do I regret not putting the 5.0 in there. I was lucky I found a motor with only 11k miles on it and it runs great. Before I finished the motor swap I was just going to finish the motor and sell the truck because I always wanted a Sport Trac but it runs so good I decided to keep it for a few years.

The V8 trans from the 302 Explorers is by far the strongest over the V6 and later V8 transmissions. If the 96-01 302/4R70W is a possible choice, do what it takes to get that combination. The 4R70W is strong enough for a mild supercharger in bone stock 98+ trim. The other Explorer transmissions can never be made to equal that stock 4R70W strength.

Remember that when you price the parts, and lots of people can build a 4R to any level you want.

If stock power is where you will end up, then concentrate on the condition of the engine/trans, and ease of fitment, and cost. Regards,

Wow....I've been reading about this swap all day! I just want to make sure I have everything clear.
I should get a 2005-06 Mustang Engine.
Does the auto trans in my Explorer (97 4.0 SOHC) bolt up to the Mustang engine?
Should I get an engine from an auto Mustang?
Basically just use the longblock from the Mustang and use everything else from my Ex.
Still confused on whether to use Mustang oil filter adapter/filter or Ex.
Use Ex spark plugs and wires.
Am I forgetting anything else?
You guys have been great. I was horrified when I heard the engine start knocking in my Ex and it seems like the Mustang engine is the right way to go!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow....I've been reading about this swap all day! I just want to make sure I have everything clear.
I should get a 2005-06 Mustang Engine.
Does the auto trans in my Explorer (97 4.0 SOHC) bolt up to the Mustang engine?
Should I get an engine from an auto Mustang?
Basically just use the longblock from the Mustang and use everything else from my Ex.
Still confused on whether to use Mustang oil filter adapter/filter or Ex.
Use Ex spark plugs and wires.
Am I forgetting anything else?
You guys have been great. I was horrified when I heard the engine start knocking in my Ex and it seems like the Mustang engine is the right way to go!

Not sure where you read that you need a motor from a 2005-2006 Mustang, I used a motor from an 08 with no problems. Also I don't think there is much difference between a manual and auto except that I read some where that one or the other may use a balancer shaft that the ex uses. Mine was from a manual and I have no issues besides a little vibration at idle, not sure yet if that is a balancer shaft related problem, it doesn't bother me enough to look into it at the moment.

Your transmission will bolt up to the Mustang motor with no problems and if you find a low miliage motor I don't see any reason to switch out plugs. On the later SOHC motors Ford calls for Iridium plugs and I think in 97 your Ex called for double platinum still I see no reasons to not use iridium plugs. Also I used the Explorer oil filter adapter because someone else mentioned that there might be a clearance issue with the Explorer manifold, I didn't check, it was easy enough to swap it out.

If you have any other question you can PM if you want, my PMs go right to my phone.

Goodluck.

Back