Mustang SOHC engine swap coming... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang SOHC engine swap coming...

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I have researched and researched the possibility of swapping in a newer SOHC engine to replace the rattling time bomb I'm currently driving...it's so embarrassing to start my truck while getting ready to leave while talking with anyone...they give me that strange look and ask me if I'm going to make it home OK...I have done enough research on swapping the Mustang engine into my X and the result on all my research says it should work...so I am shopping now and saving my money to buy the newest lowest mileage SOHC engine I can afford from a wrecked Mustang...there is one on E-bay right now for less then $800 bucks with 52K miles, I couldn't touch the timing set for that price, let alone rebuild the whole engine for that price...so I will need a little more then that for misc. parts like gaskets and hoses and such...my plan is to just use the entire long block while retaining the intake and pulley drive system from my engine as while as the oil pan...I have driven the Mustang and that V6 engine is just super quiet compared to older SOHC V6's.

My research has also found out that the rattling timing chain noise was fixed after the 03 Ford model year...so why settle for nothing less then the newest SOHC 4.0 I can find and install in my X?

If anyone hear thinks that my swap will not work, then I would like to hear your comments please...I asked a similar question earlier but got now response so I had done my own research on the subject as I assume no one hear has done the Mustang V6 swap before.
:chug:
Dave

:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cannot say I have had experience with performing a swap such as this, but it should be relatively smooth considering its the same exact engine. A few questions to ask... does the 05 mustang v6 use the same transmission as the Ex? Would there need to be a different bellhousing? Also consider if the engine would work with your stock computer and electronics and whether any of that will be needed to be swapped as well. Or maybe consider getting a custom ECU made up. Also think of how exhaust headers will fit into the engine bay, whether the ex and mustang have the same design or not. Other things to consider are engine mounts, intake tube mounting points, accessory mounts, radiator and fan clearance, etc. Hopefully it should all be very very similar between the two, but im not sure how much this engine has been changed since its use in the Ex. But these are just minor details to take into account when doing the swap so you can plan ahead and make the process as smooth as possible. I hope it all goes well for you! If you do commit to this, keep a detailed account of your endeavors. Good luck!

Kyle

I have seen somewhere on here a tread about someone swapping in a newer mustang sohc into a explorer. The biggest thing I recall was to replace the upper intake parts and using the harness wiring from the explorer. The one unanswered question seemed to be that the 4wd sohc explorers have an extra internal balance shaft that the 2wd mustang's don't. Some say it doesn't matter and some say it causes a vibration at certain speeds. I think you're smart to swap in the newer sohc. It sounds like an excellent project!

Thanks for the input guys...and for the record, I am going to use only the long block itself...that means all my Ex stuff like sensors and water pump and my whole intake will be utilized, along with my whole drive belt system...this will make the whole conversion hopefully go fairly smooth...I'm not sure if you guys have driven the new Mustang or not, but I can say that when I drove one, the engine was so smooth, when you were at a stop light, you'd swear that the engine had died...it's that smooth:D...so I am not so worried about this balance shaft thing anyway...as for the tranny, it uses the same auto but a different series...like the last letter was different probably for newer control systems, but not using it anyway either...I am keeping my eyes peeled for something newer...have an eye on a 2008 V6 with 28K miles...I hope he doesn't want too much for it...will find out cost today.

Dave:salute:

I am putting an engine from a ranger into my explorer. I thought about the mustang route, since the engines were cheaper, but didnt do it. I will be adding the balance shaft from my old engine to the new one, and have bought the SOHC timing tools to do it.

My belief is that the Mustang is better balanced because it does exist in a performance oriented car...I personally see no reason to swap the balance shaft into the Mustang engine...just my 2 cents.

Dave

The balance shaft is there to tune out "an audible resonance" with the front drivetrain in 4wd explorers, and being that the mustang is 2wd, it wouldnt need one. The Harmonic Balancer was redesigned on later engines, whether or not this is related to the balance shaft or not, i can only guess.

Ditto, the balance shaft should not be an issue.

The improved valvetrain parts are 2002 and newer parts, they have a 2002 part number. The plastic of the chain guides is improved in those.

The two basic cam chain tensioners are not any different though, they all have a simple mechanical spring which contributes to the pressure applied to the chain. When those springs weaken, and they all do, the chain will be less tight, and more apt to make noise. Those two tensioners are relatively cheap, and easy to replace. Those should be replaced about like internal timing belts, every 75k-100k miles.

The rattles and noises people keep discovering are from those parts being higher mileage, or certain parts being the older designs. If people with the noises would spend a few hundred dollars to correct the valvetrains, there would be no need to replace the engine, now or later. But too many people want to do nothing and hope for the best, or try a cheap fix and change the oil etc. Good luck, changing the longblock should be straight forward. Take your time.

Don, i know this is somewhat off topic, but should i not bother putting the balance shaft on my engine, even though i have 4wd?

I would probably leave it off. If what people say about it being just for an odd harmonics from 4WD parts, I'd leave it out. Ford has added weights to several parts along the bottom of vehicles for years. I've removed those and not noticed any differences, others have also. OEM manufacturers tend to spend too much time on little tiny stuff, and skimp on some important things. I think the balance shaft is part of that tiny stuff.

Possibly, and i havent read about anyone having any big issues without it. But, its held up my engine swap this long, and i have the timing tools coming, i figure i might as well put it in there.

I look it it this way...I'd like to start over if you will...I got my X with 123K and seeing that the past owner NEVER changed the oil or did any service for that matter, this is what contributed to the excessive guide wear...if I could find a low mileage engine that I can take care of myself from the start, I should be able to get 200-300K doing oil changes and using synthetic oil.

I look it it this way...I'd like to start over if you will...I got my X with 123K and seeing that the past owner NEVER changed the oil or did any service for that matter, this is what contributed to the excessive guide wear...if I could find a low mileage engine that I can take care of myself from the start, I should be able to get 200-300K doing oil changes and using synthetic oil.

You would hope so, but on the engine that i pulled out of my explorer, the guides didnt get excessively worn, they just broke apart. The Guides in the rear cassette pretty much grenaded, along with the tensioner for the jackshaft chain. My Engine had 187k on it, and the plastic had been in there a while. I just think more of it went, and the chain finally just jumped enough teeth that the car wouldnt run.

From what I hear though, the newer SOHC don't have these heritage problems...all that known stuff that does go wrong has been solved...I'll have to ask a local Ford mechanic to be certain...but that is what I have read about on other sites related to the 4.0 SOHC...I'd do the v8 swap, but at the moment the SOHC 4.0 has enough power for my needs...plus I don't want to end up with a truck that only gets 15mpg.

You will hear more rumors than truth. I speak the truth always, as I know it. The original problems were mainly the type of plastic used in the guides. That seems to be corrected. The other problem still exists, in all SOHC 4.0's, the tensioners.

The two main(only) cam chain tensioners still have springs inside them. That is not going to change, ever. The springs will wear out, as all springs do. They do not last 200,000 miles, they also will not be strong after 100,000 miles. My front one was very weak after 77,450 miles when I changed all of mine.

The pressure applied to the cam chains comes from two things, oil pressure, and the spring inside the tensioner. There is no other way to tighten the cam chains. Thus as the spring inside either of those tensioners weakens, the chain will be less tight. The chain will make more noise, and the timing will not be as accurate.

As said before, change the cam chain tensioners regularly, not never or when the engine blows up. You have been given the accurate information here, it is your choice to do the right thing, or ignore it. Those tensioners cost less than $50 each, changing them at 75k-100k miles is very smart.

So the '05 Mustang has been out for nearly 5yrs and I have not heard of any SOHC V6's having any chain guide problems...I have visited the Mustang forums and have not read of any threads where owners where having chain guide problems...are we all sure that our X SOHC parts internally will interchange with the newer Mustang parts?...maybe they use a better spring tension'er...I know of a guys who comes by the shop and has more miles then my X and he does not have the same problems as my 4.0...so this tells me that maybe the internals are just better overall.

Dave

Dave, I definitely support you in researching the parts to find what is best. Do check in every way that you can to be sure of any parts swapping.

I know very little about the later 4.0 SOHC engines. My understanding is that they are all the same, other than intake and exhaust manifolds, and slight cam changes. You will need to use your vehicle manifolds and the parts which go on them. If the cams are any different, it will be perfectly fine to keep them.

I'd bet money that the cam cassettes are all the same, the 2002 part number is still the latest revision. That will be sold to anyone with a 97 Explorer, or a brand new Mustang V6. Check on the part numbers for the cam chain tensioners, see if a 97 Explorer and a new Mustang call for the same thing. The rear will be the same, it goes into the head simply. The front one on the Explorer sticks out a lot, that may be different for that reason alone.

I have almost 50,000 miles on my valvetrain parts since I changed them. I hope and expect to get another 25,000 to 50,000 miles before doing the external tensioners again. I'll have enough miles on the whole valvetrain though that a better 302 and 4R70W will be my plan.

I can say that with 108k miles on our '06 mustang with the 4.0 sohc that we have heard 0 chain rattle.

since your thinking long block I don't think you have to worry too much about the really computerized stuff they put on the s197 mustangs (05-09).. i.e. Drive by Wire throttle...

If you need any measurements or pics of the 4.0 sohc in an 06 mustang, let me know..

~Mark

I can say that with 108k miles on our '06 mustang with the 4.0 sohc that we have heard 0 chain rattle.

since your thinking long block I don't think you have to worry too much about the really computerized stuff they put on the s197 mustangs (05-09).. i.e. Drive by Wire throttle...

If you need any measurements or pics of the 4.0 sohc in an 06 mustang, let me know..

~Mark

Thanks Mark, I will certainly consider it if I do need any...I'm going to see if I can find more info on the difference between the two long blocks...it does surely surprise me though that no one on this site has ever considered doing such a swap to up grade to a newer 4.0...I will be back later with more info if I can find any.

Thank you all for your support in my quest for a better SOHC 4.0:burnout:

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, here is what I have found so far...it seems that the '05 and newer Mustangs do use a balance shaft...the same engines that drop into the X are also dropped into the Mustang...I managed to find this web site with some great info on gears chains and revisions...you will need to scroll down a bit to the 4.0 SOHC section...there are 2 areas, one for the 97-02 and one for 03-08...in the second 4.0 you will see the Mustang listed right next to the Explorer which indicates that it uses the balance shaft like the X...so at this time I am feeling more confident about doing this swap...I am still doing more research...I would like to find some cam profile info too, just to see what the Mustang is using compared to the X.

http://www.rpmrons.com/fordtiming.html

Dave

Back