mutiple amp fuse question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mutiple amp fuse question

mechanic021

Reaction score
I am installing 3 amps in my truck. I have a 4 guage wire going to a distribution block with a fuse on the 4 guage wire. my question is do I need to fuse all 3 amps individually? If so then im gonna have to get a different distribution block.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're going to run three amps I would suggest a larger wire like a 0 guage or something like that. I would also suggest getting a new distribution block that has fuses built in. Fuses are inexpensive where I would assume your amps are not...just to be safe.

ok waht size amps are they for one thing ... but anyways i would go witha bigger gauge wire if i were u depending on the size maybe even a capacitor but no u do not need a fuse for each amp if u have a surge from any of the amps it will blow the main fuse

I am also wondering how big these amps are.... probably your safest bet is to run a circuit breaker as close to the battery as possible... the real point of fuses on your power supply line is not to protect the amp from overcurrent, its to protect from potentially massive shorts...

Unless of course you are talking about monster amps like an Orion 2500D which does not have fuses on the amp, and thus needs a fuse or circuit breaker on the supply line.

I suggest circuit breakers only because they are a one time buy and much more easy to reset and determine if it was just a quick overcurrent or if you actually have a short.

id fuse each of the amps sepretly and put the amp fuese close to the amp, ive been doing this recenlty and it works fine, cause if you think abou tit the only time its gonna blow is with a short, the olny time it will probibly short is installing or removing or if the amp melts(happened once) but the fuse is right there so its easier to take out when your working on the amp, but if your running 3 amps i would also have circut breaker at the battery as well, if one amp surges with only a fuse at the battery, the other 2 amps are going to get that surge as well unless there is a fuse inbetween the amps.

as far as wiring ive always split the battery wire equally, eg, 4ga-2 8ga, 2ga- 2 4ga ect. but check to see what you amps require, if they all require 4ga then id run 0ga to the dis block.

The real point of a fuse / circuit breaker is to protect from shorts and fire in the engine bay. You MUST have one within 18" of the battery to be safe. I have run JL Audio amps which do not have an internal fuse and the guy at JL said it was not neccessary and to just run the circuit breaker for the total draw of the amps. I was a little nervous but it worked fine in the time I had the system installed in my old car. He went on to say that fuses near the amp were just extra work.

The great thing about the circuit breaker is it is really easy to cut power - just press the button. Fuses on the other hand are a PITA to unscrew especially if you have them tucked away.

Back