My '94 extended cab | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '94 extended cab

Yea willing to bet the police will be sitting outside your house ALOT more now!! your neighbors hate you!!:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol. it wasnt loud! my mom didnt even hear it. she only saw one of them cause she got up for something.

no one can prove those tire marks are from me ;)

sittin purrdy
IMG_20121113_072455.jpg

front comes out to 30.5", rear comes to 28.5". so i think some 1.5-2" drop coils will be perfect. also need to trim the bumpstops lol

sittin purrdy
IMG_20121113_072455.jpg

front comes out to 30.5", rear comes to 28.5". so i think some 1.5-2" drop coils will be perfect. also need to trim the bumpstops lol

I like it;)))))don't look that slanted or slammed either.cant wait to see the front done also.know your loving the power back too!!;)

Same thing people were saying to me. Like ew you're lowering it?? Had to say yes but just a little bit so you wpuld barely noticed, not laying frame like they thought.

And oh god yes. It rained so I ddnt get to have much fun. But those gears feel so awesome!! I hope I never have to need my extra brake power, but its there if I need it. I think I NEED that locker in there. Or atleast a good posi. The way it takes off id imagine an open diff would suck.
I am loving it!! Can't wait to see how it handles with the front dropped and 0mile, 422, jbas, ported motor ;). One of these days ill get it

Same thing people were saying to me. Like ew you're lowering it?? Had to say yes but just a little bit so you wpuld barely noticed, not laying frame like they thought.

And oh god yes. It rained so I ddnt get to have much fun. But those gears feel so awesome!! I hope I never have to need my extra brake power, but its there if I need it. I think I NEED that locker in there. Or atleast a good posi. The way it takes off id imagine an open diff would suck.
I am loving it!! Can't wait to see how it handles with the front dropped and 0mile, 422, jbas, ported motor ;). One of these days ill get it

Hahah told you!!well i was 100% sure you like the gears and honestly your rpms are little low for highway and a a4ld.could have went 4.10 and still been in range but even faster!!you like the look?i love it,it ain't slammed at all,just gives it a sweet stance like its ready to go!!hahah dude you better be careful after we get the motor done and i want to drive it!!man im so jealous !!looks so sweet and you know I've been wanting to do a ranger project!!:)

Put your motor in it!! We can take turns driving it since motors yours and trucks mine haha.
I thought about th 4.10 but since I didn't know how much lower I was goig yet 28s wont fit past this drop I have. Plus I already had it. If I end up rubbing when the fronts done I might try to find some 27"-27.5" tires. Should still look good.

Forgot to post, 80mph on speedo is 71mph on gps and I'm at 2400rpm. 40mph on speedo is 35mph on gps.
With the 3.08s and nonstock 28s my speedo would boune around after 65mph and sound like something was rattling under my dash.
Now tjats gone and it sounds like my truck has mud tires, it hums from 0mph to however fast I go. Humming increases and I go faster.
Seems like I just need a new speedo gear, besides the speedo being wrong anyway

I think the fender gap in front looks about right, so I'd say for daily driver use, it'd be better to raise the back end a bit rather than lower the front. The lowered slightly look with stockish tires gives the appearance of a neglected, sagging suspension. You need big rims with low profile tires to set it off as being intentional.

Lowering the TIB with 2" coils affects a lot of things, too. It's better to keep the ride height where it is if you want the most wheel travel for comfort and keeping things aligned right. It'd also be cheaper not to buy drop coils and mess with aligning it and getting the steering back in spec.

I think the fender gap in front looks about right, so I'd say for daily driver use, it'd be better to raise the back end a bit rather than lower the front. The lowered slightly look with stockish tires gives the appearance of a neglected, sagging suspension. You need big rims with low profile tires to set it off as being intentional.

Lowering the TIB with 2" coils affects a lot of things, too. It's better to keep the ride height where it is if you want the most wheel travel for comfort and keeping things aligned right. It'd also be cheaper not to buy drop coils and mess with aligning it and getting the steering back in spec.

The front is stock,course it looks right.he's getting drop beams in the front so should be no problem with alignment . completely disagree it looks like a neglected sagging suspension.think it makes the rims look bigger and like the truck is just getting it...not stock!big rims on a stock truck just looks.. to ummmm.....yea..you won't see a truck at the track or strip like that..maybe in the hood tho!!

Last edited:

Looking Good ! , And Looking forward to the Motor I'm reading about !! haha

big rims on a stock truck just looks.. to ummmm.....yea..you won't see a truck at the track or strip like that..maybe in the hood tho!!

Larger rims with lower profile tires looks good on a lowered vehicle. There's tons of stock height vehicles with dubs and rubber bands though, that's the lazy wannabe's answer to customizing. Lowered much with otherwise stock rims, even with slightly lower sidewall tires, just looks sad. Better to keep it low-key. Drop beams will help a lot, but again, getting into the money thing, drop beams, drop springs, alignment, etc. Maybe if the truck was for show, but with body damage, seems like the money could better be spent elsewhere. Who knows though, sometimes a beat up body gives the freedom for wild mods or crazy stuff you wouldn't do on a pristine truck.

it may look funny now, but its obviously not done yet.
i plan on matching the front 2" lower. getting some 18s on 28" tall tires. maybe a little bit wider tires in the rear. newer front bumper painted body color and fog lights, rear rollpan, 2nd gen exploder puddle mirrors painted body color, body color fiberglass bed cover(not a shell) with a smaller toolbox that doesnt hang over the bed sides. and of course get the body looking nice and repaint it one day.

so highway results are in. 3.08 gear and 28.03" tires i got 21.59mpg on the highway. i think mostly around 60-65mph, it was awhile back.

now with 3.73 gear and 28.03" tires i got 25.08mpg on the i64. and 25.28mpg on i64 + back country roads / rock paved roads. going around 60-70mph on 64 and 50mph on back roads.
BUT.... thats what the odometer says. im really only going 0.88 miles for every mile on the odometer.
so i really got 22.07mpg and 22.25mpg.

so im getting 0.5-1mpg better on the highway.
now im waiting for city results to come in, havent had to fill up yet. but so far going off the odometer im at about 17mpg, so my city mileage is prob about the same as before, 14-14.5mpg. i wont know for sure until i fill up.

i need to go check what gear is in my tranny still. so i can fix my speedo. think ill get a chance tomorrow

so highway results are in. 3.08 gear and 28.03" tires i got 21.59mpg on the highway. i think mostly around 60-65mph, it was awhile back.

now with 3.73 gear and 28.03" tires i got 25.08mpg on the i64. and 25.28mpg on i64 + back country roads / rock paved roads. going around 60-70mph on 64 and 50mph on back roads.
BUT.... thats what the odometer says. im really only going 0.88 miles for every mile on the odometer.
so i really got 22.07mpg and 22.25mpg.

so im getting 0.5-1mpg better on the highway.
now im waiting for city results to come in, havent had to fill up yet. but so far going off the odometer im at about 17mpg, so my city mileage is prob about the same as before, 14-14.5mpg. i wont know for sure until i fill up.

i need to go check what gear is in my tranny still. so i can fix my speedo. think ill get a chance tomorrow
You was also loaded down on that trip,you are a couple hundred pounds lighter now.i would redo a highway test.

nah. 70lb jack, 60lb cooler. rest was blankets and clothes. not that much weight.
i didnt have 1500lbs in mine like you did :p

nah. 70lb jack, 60lb cooler. rest was blankets and clothes. not that much weight.
i didnt have 1500lbs in mine like you did :p

How about all the tops and crap.id say about 200!heyyy i packed light this time,id say 1100:(

How about all the tops and crap.id say about 200!heyyy i packed light this time,id say 1100:(

tops? totes?? those had the clothes in them lol

Oh yea. Forgot about tjat. So another 60lbs. I brought everything! Even my fuel line tools lol.

You remember the squeaking I had like a warped front rotor? Which is what you thought it was. And I swore to ypu it was th rearend? It was the rearend! I haven't heard it since the swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

17.19mpg city. with gps speedo corrections i got 15.13mpg. I was getting 13.8-14.5mpg before. then it started going down to 13.5-14mpg recently. so this 15mpg i got now should be higher cause my trucks running bad.

and speaking of the truck running bad, if i drive it its fine. if i shut it off after its warm and wait awhile, but not let it get cold again, it has probs idling and i hear it missing badly. if i rev it up for a min itll fix itself then be fine

finally got the codes, waited til i had the issue then plugged it in

koeo: 111 111 | 157 157. koer: 111 111
157 (R,M) Mass Air Flow signal is/was low or grounded -MAF

so im gonna try cleaning it or swap in the exploders if i have to. see if that clears it up.

Back