My '97 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

vinceschilke

Reaction score
City, State
Orland Park, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer AWD 5.0L
I bought my '97 Mountaineer the summer of 2010 for only $999 (+tax). Milage at 158,000. I bought it from the same dealership that originally sold it to the first and only owner. It came with Power windows, and LEATHER SEATS (2 front power seats,) sunroof, 6 disc CD changer, nearly new (nitrogen) tires, and even a class 3 Reese hitch. The interior was in good shape but I cleaned it next to perfect (i work at a carwash, detail, and lube center) Got the car checked out and everything looks good, Runs good, even new break lines. I don't have interior pictures right now, but if anyone is interested I can take some pics. Tell me what you think of my '97 Mountaineer (my first car)
227.jpg

226.jpg

197.jpg

193.jpg

158.jpg

071.jpg

025.jpg

024.jpg

Some say I stole that car for $999 :) I love my Mountaineer!
If anyone has any tips, tricks, or advice about my car please let me know :) thanks. in spring i hope to be getting some chrome rims :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a heck of a buy, especially from a dealership! :thumbsup:

You got an awesome deal on that truck! It looks like new, especially for the miles on it. It was clearly taken care of. I too bought a 1997 Mountaineer over the summer, mine's white but otherwise pretty much identical. I thought i got a great deal at $4,500 with 53,000 miles from its first owner but man I wish I could have come by one for what your price. Enjoy it.

front_view.jpg

front_view_os.jpg

SUNROOF!!
sunroof.jpg

console.jpg

center_console.jpg

front_passenger.jpg

side.jpg

back_seats2.jpg

back_seats.jpg

These are just some quick pics I took of the interior. Nothing special, but CLEAN :) I'll take more soon in day light!

reciept.jpg

Windshield IS NOT cracked

it seems that on the 4th picture (under sunroof picture) the windshield looks cracked. it's actually a cracked glass table leaning against the wall.

do you got pics?

thanks, sounds like you did get a deal tho, do you have any pictures? i never would have imagined my first car would be this one, but i am so glad. timing was perfect.
You got an awesome deal on that truck! It looks like new, especially for the miles on it. It was clearly taken care of. I too bought a 1997 Mountaineer over the summer, mine's white but otherwise pretty much identical. I thought i got a great deal at $4,500 with 53,000 miles from its first owner but man I wish I could have come by one for what your price. Enjoy it.

That is a beautiful vehicle and you got an amazing deal. In my humble opinion the 1997 Mountaineer is the best second generation Explorer (re-badged) you could have gotten. In 1998 they introduced a more finicky anti-theft module, different camshaft position sensor, plastic steering shaft, and some other things I don't remember at the moment.

There are several things to look at and since I had to fix most of these things as they broke you have the advantage of forewarning.

1997 Mountaineer potential problems link

When I first bought it, I did a complete detail even though it was pretty clean. Only took a few pics of the outside. Next time I detail it up and polish it, I'm going to make a thread with plenty of pics (no time for a complete detail right now because of school). Here's a couple pics:

37552_136957863002132_127057313992187_238651_2999907_n.jpg

37552_136957866335465_127057313992187_238652_5357121_n.jpg

It's a great vehicle for me because it's reliable, gives me AWD for winter, and gives me space to haul junk. It's my second car (first is a 2005 Ford Focus) but I've wanted one of these since before I could drive, just took me time to find a deal on one.

thanks, sounds like you did get a deal tho, do you have any pictures? i never would have imagined my first car would be this one, but i am so glad. timing was perfect.

I'm Jealous. I got in April of this year a 1997 Ford Explorer 220K miles on it for $2750. Sweet deal man.

I'd say grab a new armrest repair kit from ript, (forum sponsor) and you've got 'er ready to go! :thumbsup:

welcome and nice mounty

i bought an aftermarket radio. got the correct harness and i have the 97 mountaineer with the sub in the back. i was TOLD by a tech at best buy that i needed to wire some wire from my radio all the way back to my antenna? so i took my radio in to get professionally installed. i just noticed that my antenna wont go down with the radio off and even the car off. does anyone know what is wrong. and did i even need to go to get it professionally done? the only reason i did is because i thought i couldnt handle it myself after what the guy at best buy told me. i hope some one can answer before i fall asleep, other wise i can just ask the place that installed it for me.

that i needed to wire some wire from my radio all the way back to my antenna?

There is already a wire running from the antenna to the radio. That's how the signal is received. I wonder what he meant by that.

my antenna wont go down with the radio off and even the car off.

Does it sound like the motor is trying to move the antenna but won't? Then the motor which raises and lowers the antenna is broken. I just disconnected mine and left the antenna up permanently. Costs nothing and is easy to do.

You can see the Green/Yellow and Red/Pink wires going into the motor connector in this photo.
5335826698_fb6368811c_z.jpg

To get to the motor you have to partially remove the right fender. Which can be done without a manual for the most part. However, there is a fastener behind the right turn signal/headlight assembly which prevents you from completely removing the fender if you don't release them. I was able to slip my hand in the space seen and detach the connector without completely removing the fender.

Also, when taking off the plastic cover that covers the antenna bolts, and while removing the bolts themselves. Be careful not to let the plastic piece scratch the paint or for the ratchet to either. I left a large scratch there and would recommend putting down some cloth around that area to prevent it.

i bought an aftermarket radio. got the correct harness and i have the 97 mountaineer with the sub in the back. i was TOLD by a tech at best buy that i needed to wire some wire from my radio all the way back to my antenna? so i took my radio in to get professionally installed. i just noticed that my antenna wont go down with the radio off and even the car off. does anyone know what is wrong. and did i even need to go to get it professionally done? the only reason i did is because i thought i couldnt handle it myself after what the guy at best buy told me. i hope some one can answer before i fall asleep, other wise i can just ask the place that installed it for me.

If you paid BestBuy for "Professional Installation" you need to go back to that professional and tell them to complete the installation you already paid for. Proper electric antenna operation is part of the install and they did not complete their job if it is not working properly.
They would not be responsible if the antenna did not operate properly before the install or if it worked properly when you first picked the truck up.

Nice buy on the truck, looks awesome.

i just dont think they hooked the radio up to the antenna at all. the motor makes no noise. and i didnt go to best buy. the guy at best buy told me i needed it professionally installed so i went somewhere else. could i have installed this radio myself or was there extra wiring needed? i know how to connect the wires but the guy at best buy told me i had a different type of model mountaineer and the wire for the antenna was in my trunk area so i needed to get a wire all the way back there. does this make more sense? either way im going to the place that installed it in 30 minutes when they open. i was just concerened about it and i really have no patience when it comes to something that should have been done alreaedy. ESPECIALLY on my mountaineer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aftermarket radio installation (no power antenna)

i just dont think they hooked the radio up to the antenna at all. the motor makes no noise. and i didnt go to best buy. the guy at best buy told me i needed it professionally installed so i went somewhere else. could i have installed this radio myself or was there extra wiring needed? i know how to connect the wires but the guy at best buy told me i had a different type of model mountaineer and the wire for the antenna was in my trunk area so i needed to get a wire all the way back there. does this make more sense? either way im going to the place that installed it in 30 minutes when they open. i was just concerened about it and i really have no patience when it comes to something that should have been done alreaedy. ESPECIALLY on my mountaineer
If you paid BestBuy for "Professional Installation" you need to go back to that professional and tell them to complete the installation you already paid for. Proper electric antenna operation is part of the install and they did not complete their job if it is not working properly.
They would not be responsible if the antenna did not operate properly before the install or if it worked properly when you first picked the truck up.

Nice buy on the truck, looks awesome.

Back