My BII Project | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My BII Project

oh crap hahaha

Your computer has a calibration code on it, you must match this code with your new computer (several codes may fit your application so check with Ford)

OR

if you are really good you can find the right computer based on:

same engine, 2.9L, EFI,
same transmission (auto/manual)

but you are asking for it using one from different years of the 2.9L, unless its just for testing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

now what is this computer really called? the Tech Name?
I have been looking online for a Bronco II computer and not much comes up in the way of the computer, lots of computer chips....

PCM

powertrain control module

AKA

ECM

Electronic?? control module

I have an old 1988 2.9L 5 speed computer if you want it just pay shipping :)
I think (from memory) the calibration code is COW1
but I would have to check to make sure

PCM

powertrain control module

AKA

ECM

Electronic?? control module

I have an old 1988 2.9L 5 speed computer if you want it just pay shipping :)
I think (from memory) the calibration code is COW1
but I would have to check to make sure

hrrrrmmm Ill check it out too see what mine is. Keep in mind mine is AUTO! Blah hope not for that long but its an auto. I think I found one here for $40, I will find out for sure. Not sure if it was from an auto or not. but I am going to check it out. If for some reason I cannot find one the same as mine and your happens to be the same than Ill pay for shipping no problem. I can run across the boarder and pick it up:thumbsup: Only about 40min away

my PCM is for a 88 2.9L with a 5 speed, it will not control your transmission

I found one for $40, its the same as far as I know, I will take my old one out here soon. Its from a 88BII 4x4 2.9L auto, and thats what I got! so we will see if this helps my problems. IF this does not work than I will go at the relay
Any hints on getting the computer out? I just took a quick look at it, but did not see how it comes out.

I also just noticed that my D35 that I got has auto hubs.... Will I need to buy the hubs and a kit to switch it over? Or can I just buy some new hubs and slide them on?
I have never heard anything good about auto hubs... And I take it my D28 hubs will not fit on a D35.

search for manual hubs

you need dana 35 manual hubs, inner and outer spindle nuts and the lock ring washers to do the conversion, simple!

well I got my switch. Figured I will try this out first, cheap way first, was only $23. Here is a pic. Hope all these bad questions helps some one out just like me! LOL, and the best way for me to learn is with pics. so here you go, its a Niehoff Part# IG10221

I got my dash/ steering column apart, now I thought for some reason this thing would be right beside the keys.... But its not as far as I can tell. I have no idea where it is on my truck. Where and the hell is it!!! Its not in my book either, well I cannot find it in there. I can find how to take the ignition out but I cannot find this at all! Iam talking about the switch/plug in the pic above
Its never as easy as it sounds!!!!

wire connector harness on the steering column

Now I just realized that my 88 BII has a "newer style" dash. Like from a 1989 and up. I asked for a 1988 electrical ignition switch, now would it be different for the old style dash? Or does it matter at all? It is tilt steering.

I was just told it was down by my feet on top of the column, I may need to take the bolts out and pull the column down some to get at it. I guess we will see when I get home!

oh man I dont know where that sucker is on the 89 style dash, not sure if it uses the same switch! Why does your 88 have a 89+ style dash?
I am pretty sure on the 88 its right behind the key

I am not too sure why I have a "newer" style dash, I think my 88 was a real late 88, my doors say 89 as well on them, but the truck its self is an 88.... But this thing is deffently not right behind the key, now if you are in the passangers seat than it would be to the right of the key? I have nothing there at all.. Some one has told me down by my feet on top of the colum, I will check it out when I get home to see if its there. Now I hope this is the same part...

this help

0900823d800f9331.gif

yes thanks that helped! I found it, changed it, and no fix... There is a difference between an 88 and 89 switch, I took mine back and got the 89 one, and it fit in no problem. I did need to take the bolts off the steering column and drop it down to change it. I found a computer I am going to try out, same year, same engine same trans. I got the #'s from the other computer and they line up with the one in my truck. The exact same E9AF 14A624 AA. So I will go get it tomorrow and see if thats the problem...
Ill keep you posted! Thanks for all the info guys! Saving me a ton of money!

Changed the computer and that was also not the problem.... I do have spark from the coil.
What other ground should I check other than the batt.?
I put new plugs in, and there is fuel getting to the plugs. Now I took out a plug and turned the engine over and there was a spark, but it was like one a second. Should it have more spark than that?

Well i have a 86 Ranger 2.9(EGR) 5spd with a 89 computer in it(non EGR) and it run beauty.As long as you get one that has the same engine/tranny as what you now.I also tried the 86 computer(EGR) in my 88.It gave it some extra power but the gas mileage sucked

where can I find the fuel pump relay? It does not show in my book.
Also can you run your truck with out a inertia switch?

Dude I thought you already replaced the fuel pump relay?

You can bypass the inertia switch yes, all it is is a check ball that falls out of its position and unhooks the signal wire to the fuel pump relay in case of a hard accident, jumpering the inertia switch is fine, just put the switch back once you determine it works. You can take them apart :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ahhh found what was actually clicking!!! This whole time I thought it was my starter relay, but I found it was a different relay thats mounted under the main fuse box, under the hood, right by the starter relay... Hints why I thougth the starter relay was clicking. Ill replace it and see what happens.. I was told its a Powertrain control relay.

Back