• Register Today It's free!

My Black Interior Project

Shortkid

Reaction score
City, State
High Point, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
So a lot of other here are painting the inside of their own Explorer and figured I would give it a shot. Might I say, I have never painted anything really and now it has got me wanting to paint everything! I do have other parts planned but let me know what all you guys think!

**Note** - Couldn't find my camera before I started so no before pictures. If I can dig some old photos up I will post for comparison but for an idea the now black parts were tan.

Front Doors

Rear Doors

Cargo Bay

Door Handles

I was scared to paint the "vinyl" or "leather" type stuff and carpet that is on the doors and was not sure what paint to use. I saw this Dupli-Color paint that said for Vinyl and Carpet so picked it up and I would definately recommend this paint if you plan on painting this sort of stuff. Here is a picture of the can:

Next thing to paint, my center console:

I also already painted the other rear quarter panel piece that is removable, and all the air vents up front. Will take a pictures of these tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the idea and how it would look, lol. guess i know what my weekend project will be over the next couple weeks when i get some more money

thanks for the idea and how it would look, lol. guess i know what my weekend project will be over the next couple weeks when i get some more money

Yeah, to me its very addicting. Paint one piece, pull another to paint, and so forth. Have fun and post pictures when you get it done. :)

Yeah, to me its very addicting. Paint one piece, pull another to paint, and so forth. Have fun and post pictures when you get it done. :)

i did this to my Eclipse when i had it, and i spent all day and night literally doing this just to go to a car show,lol. never thought about doing it with the Ex but seeing how good it looks i very well will be doing this. my Ex is black so it should look very nice with the contrast difference over the stock tan/ brown interior. when i do do it i will post pics, but it might not be for another month.

show some pics when you install everything

You wanted pictures installed so here ya go! Took pictures of a few other things too so hopefully you will like what you see.

Kenwood Double Din Head Unit

Front Door Installed

6.5 Behind Front Door

Rear Door Installed

I have Kicker 5x7's in the rear doors but forgot to take a picture.

Air Vents

Inside Steps

Left Quarter Panel

Right Quarter Panel

Trunk

Amps

Hope you like what you see. Tell me what you think!

BEAUTIFUL!

Messy wiring on the amps though...

sweet, nice job man. wifey just saw the pics and she told me i need to do this asap, lol. she like the contrasting look.

what kinda speakers is that up front? i been tryna get some but every speaker i come across is too deep.

Looks really good! I hate vehicles that don't have any contrast on the interior.

sweet, nice job man. wifey just saw the pics and she told me i need to do this asap, lol. she like the contrasting look.

what kinda speakers is that up front? i been tryna get some but every speaker i come across is too deep.

Honestly, I used to be on the caraudio.com classified section always picking stuff up for audio but have then switched to here keeping a few things. The speakers I picked up for pretty cheap and they are Rainbows. Not sure about the specs and such but I had to get adapters to fit them as they are 6.5 (circles) and not 5x7 (ovals). Sorry I can't help you too much.

Looks really good! I hate vehicles that don't have any contrast on the interior.

Thanks Charlie. After seeing your black interior made me want to do some of mine. Hope your not mad I made another post like yours showing my interior.

looks good keep up the good work

Thanks Charlie. After seeing your black interior made me want to do some of mine. Hope your not mad I made another post like yours showing my interior.

Naw, don't mind in the slightest. I'm happy somebody else liked it enough to do (kindof) the same thing, too:D:thumbsup:

Naw, don't mind in the slightest. I'm happy somebody else liked it enough to do (kindof) the same thing, too:D:thumbsup:

Yeah, still debating if I want to try and attempt that headliner. Don't really want to do it but I feel it may look real good if I did.

Is that carpet on the lower part of the door panel or is that vinyl??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Short,

How easy is it to remove the center console like that?

Back