• Register Today It's free!

Painting Interior?

WildRover85

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Myers Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt
I was curious about the quality of the plastic/vinyl spraypaint used to paint the interior plastics. How well does this stuff hold up? Scratches? Peeling? I am completely re-doing the interior pretty soon and I dont know if I should attempt to vinyl everything or paint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It all depends on the prep.

I have used Duplicolor High emp paint numerous times and have always been very happy with the results...but as stated...the prep is the most important part...

what/ how is the best way to prep the interior for painting?

go to a specialty shop, buy a bottle of "Vinyl prep" along with some high end vinyl paint and you will be happy. I stil have to re-do my armrests about once every year because obviously my arm wears the paint off, but in the other places I have used it it has held up well.

Alot depends on what you are trying to paint.

Whole interior = will look trashy.
small trim, dash pad, etc can be done nicely.

there are also dye's on teh market these days that work wonders.

One bottle of vinyl prep has lasted me like 3 years, it cleans it and then also makes it kinda tacky before you spray the paint. Works great on textured pieces, like my dash pad.

awsome thanks...i jsut want ot paint around the radio and perhaps the cup holders

99stocksport said:
awsome thanks...i jsut want ot paint around the radio and perhaps the cup holders
I saw that done with rhinoliner or herculiner, or the like, black krinkled finish, flexible, nice
I'm going to do all my black interior pieces that way

99stocksport said:

For around the radio, all i did, was take that peice off, get all the knobs and butons off, sand all the rubber texture off, prime it, painted it with spray paint, i got the body color matched paint from discount, and cleared it, its held up pretty well. I kinda rushed mine, Patience is the Key.

attachment.php

I did the same thing as XplorerKid, only I didn't paint the cupholder and I used a bright yellow. I wanted a real exotic look, but I don't really like it now. Not that it looks bad, but the dark green exterior and yellow inside I don't like...I have a 96. I was thinking about painting my whole interior too. I want to go white interior panels accented with the same color as the outside. 410 fortune, have you done whole interiors before? Why do you say it'll look trashy? ALso, how do I put pics on here?

krylon makes a plastic spray called fusion and they have some nice colors

krylon's what i used. i think it's like 5-7 bucks a can. But when i do my interior i wanna actually spray it with an air gun. especially for the big flat areas, it just looks better than spray cans.

I'm doing my interior now and it really is all about prep. I'm using House of Kolor cobalt blue, it is a candy paint so it goes on in three steps but it looks really good. I'll post some pics as soon as I am finished.

That cobalt blue is hard to work with , so I have heard. I want to paint my panels aswell, and my dash trim needs painting as well. Good luck

I haven't had any problems with the paint so far and the part that I did finish looks really good. When I get time to take some pictures I'll put them up and you can be the judge. But all I did was sand the factory paint off, primed the surface, then painted.

i want to take my piece off and paint it but i was just wondering how do u go about taking it off and gettin it back on without breaking anything????

Take the two bolt above the HVAC controls and then get your fingers just behind the panel on each side halfway up and give a quick steady jerk straight back towards yourself. Once you get it out you can disconnect all the wiring and removing the radio, switches, and vents. Careful with the vent clips, once they're broken, they're broken! Install in easy, no need to describe.

I agree and disagree. Primer and paint are BETTER for plastics but I have used the same VHT on my plastic speaker grills and dash vents.

I also used wheel well undercoating for my cubbys and cupholders, works mint!:D

DSC00237.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back