My Custom Cold Air Intake (Lots of Pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Custom Cold Air Intake (Lots of Pics)

96743explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Island, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer V6 4x4
heres what the stock restrictive air intake looked like. i bought some silicone couplers, custom port adapter and an 3.5" aluminum pipe from siliconeintakes.com and an after market high flow filter from aFe Power. I spent $97 including shipping for the silicone parts, clamps and tubing, and $60 for the filter off of Amazon. so $160 total. About half the price and than some with shipping for an K&N cold air.

STOCK INTAKE
WP_000883_zpsb26a716f.jpg

WP_000881_zps36078fea.jpg

THE BUILD
WP_000894_zpsd92311b0.jpg

WP_000895_zps920577ad.jpg

THE AFE AIR FILTER VS STOCK
WP_000914_zps90a4ffa3.jpg

WP_000913_zpsadad80c6.jpg

WP_000912_zps1272898c.jpg

MY CUSTOM COLD AIR OUT OF THE TRUCK
WP_000911_zpsd1e9bb07.jpg

EVERYTHING PUT BACK TOGETHER
WP_000916_zpsa7f03f9e.jpg

WP_000915_zps9f5946e9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice work! Looks well planned and thought out. Glad you took my advice via your PM with the AFE Pro Dry-S (31-10074) OIL FREE free drop in panel. Nothing better, IMO. :thumbsup:

That looks Good ! , It should function better than stock ! .

So far so good, the truck feels like it breathes smoother. Acceleration feels smoother also. Mileage went up .2 miles on a 35 mile treck.

I live in hilo side 96743, do you think you can build me one. How much?

I live in hilo side 96743, do you think you can build me one. How much?

I thought I was the only bigislander on here, ;)
Pm coming your way.

So far so good, the truck feels like it breathes smoother. Acceleration feels smoother also. Mileage went up .2 miles on a 35 mile treck.

WOW man, that looks amazing!!!

How is the sound, is it quiet or loud?

WOW man, that looks amazing!!!

How is the sound, is it quiet or loud?

regular driving it sounds the same as stock. When you floor it to overtake cars on the fly it has a deeper tone than stock. Pretty happy with it. ;)

Wow that looks good! If you decided to build these for anyone let me know. I'd definitely like to get my hands on one.

So far my MPG's on the trip meter is @ 16.4 mpg.

After the tire upgrade, I was getting mid-high 15's.

After the tire upgrade, I was getting mid-high 15's.

That´s what I gained, maybe up to a full 1 mpg, when I changed from Motorcraft airfilter to aFe filter (oiled). It would be interesting to test your intake with the filter you previously used just to observe if the gain was from the intake or the filter or both.

I had a fram air filter. I have yet to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. Well see if that make a difference. Probably in just throttle response.

I had a fram air filter. I have yet to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. Well see if that make a difference. Probably in just throttle response.

That´s a good idea.

I did that about 2 months ago and noticed a bit more pep.

One thing I´m pending is to clean the intake plenum. It´s very dirty because of the EGR. I´m planning on seafoam it soon. If that doesn´t work maybe I´ll try something else.

Have you ever cleaned the throttle body? After I did mine, I noticed I had more power and I gained about .8mpg.

Have you ever cleaned the throttle body? After I did mine, I noticed I had more power and I gained about .8mpg.

That's on my to do list. ;)

Wow very nicely done. Looks great and glad to hear it works as well. I have been contemplating with route to go and I'm going in this direction

Wow very nicely done. Looks great and glad to hear it works as well. I have been contemplating with route to go and I'm going in this direction

Awesome! I have sold th EX 6 months ago. If you have any questions lmk. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you Swiss cheese the box at all??

Like this..drilled through the metal fender but not through the plastic wheel liner?? Also if you cut the tube that goes behind headlight flush inside the box helps also,its basically a silencer,you still leave it attached and going to behind headlight though .

This is looking down from the front of vehicle. .yours maybe slightly different but the concept is the same..

20160917_165047_zps7vhx97p4.jpg

Back