My explorer project

James135

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Well where to begin?
It all started about three years ago, I was a younger lad who had just received his drivers license and I was enthused for my first car. Eventually I found a purty 1997 ford explorer for sale, she was black and other than a spot of rust on the bumper and a broken seat handle she was perfect, and best of all she was mine. I paid 2400, (guy was asking for 2900). I drove that car to no end till one day i heard a "clu clunk" sound coming from the back end. I pulled over and took a look under the back and my drivers side control arm had come detached from the point that connected to a cross member of the frame, not only that but their was more rust under that truck then i had ever seen in my life. I realized i had bought a rust bucket. Well to spare you a progressively more disappointing story the damage was beyond repair, i had to stop driving her and unfortunately graduated high school with no car and then went off to college in another state with no car.
Well I came home and after being hopelessly frustrated with the lack of a vehicle i set out to repair my truck. these are the photos of what she looked like.
mycar.jpg

DSCN1422.jpg

014.jpg

011.jpg

005.jpg

012.jpg

I replaced leaf spring shackles, control arms, shocks, had plates welded over holes in the frame, stripped and painted the frame, changed the brake lines, got a new catalytic converter, put on a new rear bumper and finally put some off roading lights on her

she's a work in progress but here's a few pics (I have yet to do her second coat)

ddsf.jpg

get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg

This is the plate over the huge hole in the previous photos

sdd.jpg

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

get-attac.jpg

More photos to come

:salute:

Back