My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well with everything else I have going on this week and next to get ready for Moab, I think I'll let the professionals do it so I know it'll get done in time!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got some progress done on the bumper.

20210430_142935.jpg

20210430_161632.jpg

20210430_171456.jpg

20210430_171506.jpg

Does it use the stock frame horns?

I see they are still there. If so, ask him to weld them solid. Factory only spot welds them, for crash crumple reasons.

Hope you have time to paint it before your trip!

It does use the stock frame horns, however there are gussets included to weld on behind the horns. They are welded behind the horns and to the frame. As you can see, I had to cut the inner portion of the horns off to make room for the grill guard after the body lift. I found the cut off portion for the right side, however can not find the left side. We plan to weld the removed portion back on the right side and use the gussets for added strength. Then somehow fabricate a replacement horn for the left side and of course make sure it is up to the task it has. Also, my external trans filter was sitting right behind the mount on the right side outboard of the frame. We're going to make our own gusset for that area that is bigger so it can serve the purpose of reinforcement and a place to mount the filter.

I had to tap my 99's left frame horn back into shape when I put it back together. I had checked on those to see how much they'd be, and how easy to get. They were reasonable in 2006, even Ford had them. gman's right, they could use some added welding, they can easily be removed if needed.

I loved that spot for an external filter also.

Projectthread110.JPG

More progress....

20210502_154217.jpg

20210502_154219.jpg

20210502_160447.jpg

20210502_160452.jpg

Finishing welds tonight. Tomorrow the brackets and gussets are being done. I'm doing the finish grinding while that is being completed. Hope to get it painted sometime this week.

Just remember, can always do it at the campground. . . .

Good work.
LoL true, I could. But I've decided to try my hand at real painting with a compressor, paint gun, etc. If I can't get that done in time, then I guess I'll just pack a bunch of rattle cans. :)

Well the welding is all done, brackets strong, grinding on the visible welds is complete. I'm gonna shoot a final coat of primer tonight and then paint is tomorrow. 😁
Pics then

Progress....

20210507_202335.jpg

20210507_202338.jpg

20210507_202346.jpg

20210508_154459.jpg

20210508_154505.jpg

Paint and winch. So hope I didnt screw up by mounting the winch before attaching the control box...

20210508_162855.jpg

20210508_162901.jpg

Give it a good test when you get it wired up, like this if you ever saw the movie;

It may be my imagination. But I think the extra weight lowered it just enough to improve the camber. LoL

Quick question, theres the pre first use procedure of the winch. I dont have access to a gentle grade. So I was thinking of the gravel alley, and airing down the Explorer tires to 18psi. Then hooking it to a solid object (I.E the Expedition) and using the winch to pull the Explorer and spool the wire. Think that'll provide enough tension?

Well I got 3 years out of the Axle assembly I installed. On the way to Moab just north of Phoenix it bit the big one. I was going to take it to a shop and have it rebuilt and a locker I bought from Gman installed but the cost was approaching 1800. So I nixed that plan and am going to install a rebuilt rear axle assembly for about half that. I may even get that locker installed myself.

Got Lil Eddie back a couple days ago. Finally got the rear axle repaired and the locker installed. WoooHooo! I've joined the ranks of locked rear diffs! Now its my daily driver for a couple weeks at least while I go through the break in period. I'm sure that time will let me know what else needs to be repaired, updated, or just plain worked on. Already thinking front shocks, I know it needs new boots on the steering rack, and maybe new tie rod ends....
Also gotta figure out how to mount my lights with the new bumper.
Pics to follow...

General question on the tie rod ends... The steering is slow to respond. Its not "loose", as in it doesn't have a lot of play in the steering. It tracks well, doesn't pull, and doesn't jerk. It just takes it a while to respond to inputs to the steering wheel. Alignment maybe?

Back